my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Joys i think? Any thoughts on this cutter?

<<

Neil.Riley

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:05 pm

Joys i think? Any thoughts on this cutter?

Anyone have any experience with this? The spec seems quite good for a very cheap machine. I know you get what you pay for, but it has the width and cutting force i am looking for, maybe ok to test the water with?

I presume digital servo would be better than stepper motor like? But for £459 inc vat and delivery?!

Spec:

Max. Paper Width 1351mm
Max. Cutting Width 1260mm
Cutting Force 50-500g
Cutting Speed 50-800mm/s
Power Requirements 90-260v

Repeatability 0.127mm
Mechanical Resolution 0.0254mm/step
Commands Set DMPL / HPGL
Buffer Capacity 1-4M
Working Temperature 0-35°C
LCD YES
Working Humidity 5%-65%
CPU 8-bit CPU
Dimensions 160 x 35 x 42cm
Drive Stepping Motors
Weight 30.15kg / 29.15kg

Special Setting Dual Cutter Position, Dual Strips
Strip of Plotter Double Sheet (Soft & Plastic Sheet)
Min. Character Matrix Approx. 5mm (0.2") high
Blade Type Super Steel (1.2mm & 2.0mm)

Display Panel 8 digits x 2 line LCD
Interfaces USB, Serial & Parallel
Film Type Self-Adhesive Vinyl Film, Flourescent Film,Reflective Film, Paper
Softwae Artcut 2005

Thanks, Neil. :)
<<

Brian Maher

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Joys i think? Any thoughts on this cutter?

Neil.Riley wrote: you get what you pay for

Thanks, Neil. :)

i think you've answered your own question.. :wink:

i have no experience of this machine but i'm sure someone here will enlighten you...

i suggest you deal with a supplier with a good track record and a reputation built on good support and backup for their products rather than going for the cheapest machines...if they were as good as they say, we'd all have one :lol1:
it will be worth it in the long term.
<<

Neil.Riley

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Cheers Brian,

I totally understand where you are coming from, and id normally go for something thats more than up to the job. But after having a think on things, im thinking of just testing the water with something cheaper (i hate to even say that being a perfectionist :oops: )

I only need very simple contour cutting with a view to getting into vehicle signage as things progress. If things are good then maybe thats when ill look at that graphtec fc7000 :P I really do like the look of that thing...

Or maybe i should bite the bullet...Still a little undecided as yet. Just seems like it would be up to the job for the money...

Cheers, Neil.
<<

Ian Pople

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm

I don't look as if the cutter contour cuts
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:45 pm

"One of the most popular cutting plotters in the World TODAY!"

Hmmm...wonder if they would care to back that statement up.

It's cheap, it's chinese... if fact - looks even more cheap than the usual Rabbit / P-cut stuff.
Honestly - it might only be £460 inc VAT & Delivery, but think of it this way. The UK importer has bought it for MUCH less than that...paid the duty...and the VAT...and the delivery and are STILL making a healthy profit.

You will indeed get what you pay for!

Save your money for now and look at getting a refurb / trade-in machine from one of the more mainstream distributors. At least you can be assured it won't be good money after bad.

I know a few of the signmakers on here use some of the cheaper makes as both backup & main plotters and although they seem to (usually) perform fairly well, the main problems that crop up are initial setup & a severe lack of mainstream drivers & software support.

I'm not against 'cheap' - I've got a cheap Chinese cold laminator. It works - does exactly what it's meant to and not a bit more - that's about all I can say in it's favour. Cost a fraction of the top end ones and so far - so good. I don't expect it'll last forever given the minimal build quality...but it works...
Last edited by DavidRogers on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Peter Dee

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 pm

The first problem will be deciphering the user manual, then getting your software to speak to it. Drivers? I expect the driver included will drive you mad.
<<

Graeme Harrold

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Think this crowd were at Sign UK this year selling the above machine and lots of other cheap copies inc heat presses, mug presses etc...........

You get what you pay for!!!!
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:32 pm

Neil.Riley wrote:or maybe i should bite the bullet...Still a little undecided as yet.

Cheers, Neil.

bite the bullet and buy a proper cutter. bet the motor in that thing is a Lolly-pop stick and a rubber-band.
sorry to be negative mate but when i saw that advert it reeks ebay... i was actually going to pull the thread because its doing nothing for our trade...
go for reputable cutter from a reputable source. spending that little bit more will only influence you to get the head down and make your business work. :wink:
<<

Peter Dee

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:
Neil.Riley wrote:or maybe i should bite the bullet...Still a little undecided as yet.

Cheers, Neil.

bite the bullet and buy a proper cutter. bet the motor in that thing is a Lolly-pop stick and a rubber-band.
sorry to be negative mate but when i saw that advert it reeks ebay... i was actually going to pull the thread because its doing nothing for our trade...
go for reputable cutter from a reputable source. spending that little bit more will only influence you to get the head down and make your business work. :wink:

I think it does a lot for the trade with regard to this thread, it shows what signmakers think of such machines, and anyone serious about their business would not buy such an item.
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:

Cheers, Neil.

bet the motor in that thing is a Lolly-pop stick and a rubber-band. :wink:

You will be giving people money saving ideas. :lol1:
<<

Neil.Riley

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Firstly, thanks to John for the pm, i can't throw one back at you but thanks for the information...Ill take it on board. :)

And cheers for the help here...Pulling the thread wouldn't have helped, but leaving it here has done. :cool: I take into account your opinions and experience.

Its thrown up some issue's that were in the back of my mind, such as set up, drivers, parts and especially if it can't contour cut.

As im sure you can appreciate, its the initial outlay that im considering here...

Thanks for the help, ill keep looking for something a little more recognised.

Neil.
<<

Richard Davies

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 pm

Joy's

hiya

I can't offer advise about plotters as i'm still a plotter virgin, BUT

I do know a little about Joy's.

The owner mainly sells sewing machines which yet again are cheap Chinese copies of Brother machines. Joy's sell cheap rubbish and you really are getting what you pay for.

I have a Joy's sewing machine and a Singer and a juki, the other 2 are very expensive and well known brands and i use them both all the time. The joy's machine never gets used anymore because its just a pain and nobody wants to buy it because of its reputation so its a emergency machine only and a great dust collector.

I can only assume that anything else Joy's sells is the same quality, incidentally several companies are suing Joys because of her selling copies of regular brands..

I hope this helps

regards
Richard

Return to General Cutter topics