my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Top Secret Digital printer

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:11 am

Top Secret Digital printer

For all those thinking of buying a digital printer, on the larger scale i have just had some information divulged to me about a deal that's about to be launched in some of the industry magazines (not sure if it will be in sign mags or just digital print mags).

The deal is a 54" solvent print & cut machine with rip and server supplied as long as you buy 2 sets of inks per month.

The machine takes 6 colours and holds 12 carts two of each colour.
Each cart costs £69.00 and holds 220ml of ink.

One set of inks costs £828, you have to buy two sets per month.

It can print upto 1440dpi, but is most often used at 720dpi

Prints 28 sq.m/h at 450dpi

I (think I) was told that a sqm of ink costs £2.50, though not sure on this

Also apparently the machine can be used as and when required and doesn't need to be run every day like other solvent printers.

I'm not sure if a cost of £1656 a month on inks is very viable unless your doing loads of digital printing.

once i know more i'll post
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:28 am

I would think that you would have to have a lot of (potential) customers to use the 2 sets of ink per month. I use a Jetsolver which is slow in comparison to the printer you have described - the quality though is excellent. We keep the printer relatively busy but don't use anywhere near the amount of ink that 12 x 220ml cartridges would give you. We also find that with the jetsolver printing with only 4 of the colours gives better results (CMYK) - we have recently installed transparent, refillable cartridges which has reduced the ink cost to about half. Interesting offer though.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:19 pm

It has to be a Roland SC 540 pro II EX machine
Cost of the machine itself is $30k - ink carts are $75 a pop
Ink coverage depends on resolution , mostly one would print 720 x 1440 or 720 x 720 - other modes unless on banner tend to band a little - It is a fast machine if in 450x 360 mode for banner (which is quite good) - at high resolution (where you will be printing mostly) you can do about 3-4sm /hour
Realistically , at the worst you can expect a coverage of 130-180 sqm per inkset.
IE about GBP5 per sq m or 50 pence per sq ft.
Im pretty sure there is a hidden catch somewhere , cos you can buy the inks for $1800 (original inks , 2 inksets , prolly there is a cheaper aftermarket supplier) so I'm wondering how the cost of the machine , service (you got to replace heads at some time) etc is absorbed into just the inkset costs?
Espcially bearing in mind that the life of the machine before the next best thing comes out is probably a year. Perhaps a 3-5yr contract?
Its a pretty good cutter too and prints on a lot of stuff like cloth , canvas , vinyls and even thin rigid stuff.
I have one of them , but I bought mine outright.
Go to www.rolanddga.com for more info on the machine and look at the message boards as well.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:50 pm

Well the machine turns out to be the Uniform Grenadier.

Info can be found on B&P Lightbrigades web site:

http://www.bplightbrigade.com/html/unif ... adier.html

I am going to have a demo of the machine at some point this week
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:05 pm

Its a rebadged Roland Soljet

Return to General Printing Topics