my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

sublimation question

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:12 am

sublimation question

Hi all, i'm new to the board and the business so i'll really appreciate any help. first question is to those who do ceramic printing i.e mugs and plates, what presses do you use and are they any good. i was considering buying the mug pro press from novachrome its roughly a £1000 inclusive of VAT but i just checked out their american site and it costs £600 i just feel it's too big a price differential and i want to know if anyone buys and ships stuff from america to the UK. second question is does anyone use the HIX mug press? any good? lastly please does anyone do plates? and if u do do u have presentation boxes for them and if so where do u get them from? thanks a million for reading.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:16 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the site.
Suggest you look at www.dyesub.org

James
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:19 pm

thanks a lot , i have gone through the site already, just hoping to hear peoples personal experiences.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:01 pm

Hi,

I'm sure someone will give you more advice on the products in due course.

However, regarding pricing, remember that you will have to pay carriage charges from the USA, plus import duty and the carriers handling charges for collecting the import duty. Then you still have to pay VAT on the whole lot. This will narrow the difference by quite a bit and you still have to worry about how you will deal with problems arising from damage to, or faults with, the machine. It would be alot easier to deal with any problems via a home based supplier.

Phil
________
Last edited by Chalkie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:32 pm

We recently bought a flatbed heat press from America and I had the charges explained to me by Customs & Excise:(lovely people that they are!)

If your mug press cost £600 and the carriage was for example £100 you would pay:

Import duty of (£600+£100) x 2.2%=A
VAT = A x 17.5%

The carriers would settle the import duty and VAT with Customs & Excise and then send you a bill for that amount plus about £10.

Hopefully this might explain it a wee bit.

Dawn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:40 am

We bought our mug press from Novachrome, after seeing them at printwear & Promotion. They had by far the best stand for "sub".

We bought the whole system, epsom/and press. Very pleased with it, apart from you can`t cover the whole mug( due to having a slightly shorter element) unless you heat one half first, then turn the mug around. Means doing it twice, which kills production dead. I can buy the larger element @ approx £120ish.

Question, how can you press plates??

Are they complely flat, lke a tile. I would like to know more about pressing plates.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:16 am

Very good reviews of mug presses, including Xpress, Novachrome,...:

http://www.dyesub.org/articles/mugreviewpart2.shtm
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:14 pm

I've used my Mug Pro press for over 4 years now, this is one of the first generation of presses (i.e. not capable of doing the steins or attaching the plate press). My only trouble with it came from me, forgot to put a mug back in and left element open, consequences new element needed. That was over 4 years ago now, and it's still printing strongly.

I use Listawoods mugs (both earthenware and bone china) and adjust pressure, time and temp accordingly.

I've been considering plates for a while now, had thought of getting the puck available from USA, but also have the option of the plate press attachment onto my Geo Knight DC heat press. Guess I just need to know the market output before commiting to the cost involved.

Becky I can print round the mug up to about 1/4" each side of the handle, doesn't yours do that?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:17 am

mine will print up to 1cm from the edges. I think the mugs look great when the are covered in full.

I think it adds more to the value of the mug.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:24 pm

thanks so far all of you . Please has anyone estimated the cost of one mug print as in the ink cost? I need to calculate my costs. Please for those using single catridges on the C82 how many mugs can you make per set of catridges? thanks all.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:51 pm

I was given a figure of 80p for a A4 full colour sheet 100% coverage.

The designs I use, I get 4 on an A4
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:07 pm

What is 100% coverage? Ink coverage?

Normally a photo has a ink coverage of 150-190 easy.

If its very dark it can get 250 or more.

You get lower coverage if you use text or photos with lots of white spaces.

I use a photoshop filter (Ink Coverage). It says the % of inf coverage of an image.

The distributors give those data based on ideal works but not real.

Some years ago they gave the cost per copy based on a 20% coverage.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:33 am

I think the confusion is that a 100% ink coverage assumes that the ink covers the full printable area of the page but doesn't take into account how much of each colour is used, for example:

25% C
25% M
25% Y
25% K

Totals 100%

but you could have 100% of each colour giving a total of 400%

Theres quite a difference in price!

I have a spread sheet for my laser printer which takes into account the ink coverage, imaging unit fusewr unit and transfer unit.

If you can find out the yeild of the cartridges you can make a simple spread sheet to tell you the cost of the print, i don't think inkjets tell you the coverage but as Aitor says you can use a program like photoshop to see the ink coverage
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:30 pm

You should calculate a standard 200% coverage to be in the safe part.

And for a very large order you could calculate exactly the % of that image.

Very dark images will get 280% or so.

The InkCoverage plugin for photoshop is available in the Adobe Studio Exchange. Mac and PC versions.

http://share.studio.adobe.com

Return to Sublimation Printing