my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Supplier required

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:15 pm

Supplier required

Does anyone know who sells round coasters for sublimation? They are about 80mm in diameter with a precut piece of metal which is sublimated onto and then glued into a hard plastic backing.

Hope I have described it well enough!!

Dawn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:25 pm

Listawood Trade supplies, do one but it has a felt bottom.

They do plenty of sublimation substrates

Or you could try xpres
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:06 pm

I think the one you are after is a unisub coaster, i think NovaChrome & Xpres stock certain items of the unisub range.

Kevin
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:59 pm

NovaChrome on Anglesey do this kind of coaster, it's one I use myself often. Make sure you ask for the framed ones or you'll end up with 'orrible plastic stick on bottoms.

Metal comes in a variety of colours and finishes.

Forgot to mention we adhere ours with clear silicone, gives the coaster a bit of weight.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:39 am

sorry to sound a bit thick but what are you guys talking about what are

sublimation substrates.

Neil..
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:11 pm

Sublimation substrates are specially coated products e.g. mousemats, coasters, tiles etc which can be permanently printed onto using special sublimation ink. The molecules in the surface of the product open up with heat and pressure and the ink permeates the surface before the molecules close again upon reaching room temperature.

Don't worry Neil - I didn't have a clue about any of this either up until a couple of months ago!

Dawn
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:37 pm

Thanks Dawn
If im on the right track here then the heat press that we use for making t shirts etc can be used on other products if so how can i find out about whats available and how this is done.

Regards Neil..
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:39 am

Yes neil the heat press you use will give you extra avenues to your business, as the heat press is the most expensive part.

The advantage over normal transfer printing is the fact that all the products are polyester coated and as Dawn said the inks go into the pores, when the pores close the ink is trapped below the surface giving it a much better life span. Normal transfer printing only sits on top of the substrate and therfore can easily be scratched off. Now don't get me wrong you can scratch sublimation off but you have to really go deep to get through the polyester coating which wouldn't happen in every day use.

All you need to get started is a epson sublimation printer something like the C80 is a good start if your just trying out and doing odd bits here and there. Sublimation inks, there are a few on the market Sublijet, rotech and xpres now do thier own. Rotech are the favoured amoungst most.

Then you need your substrate, this is the important part, it can't be any old substrate, it needs to be polyester coated. There are lots of things on the market, t-shirts, award plaques, coasters, mouse mats, tiles etc..

And away you go, you'll need a bit of trial and error to start as sublimation is quite different to normal heat transfer
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:29 pm

Further on what Lorraine said, is your heat press a clam style or swing head. If you want to do metal and tiles it's better to have the swing head one, since they tend to have a floating head (not sure on phrase here) but it allows for thicker items, and maintains a level heat area.

You will also need a silicone rubber pad which allows the transfer to mould itself around the contours of a tile or metal coaster.

Return to General Printing Topics