my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Looking for some advice, thoughts on wages?

<<

Enda McDevitt

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Looking for some advice, thoughts on wages?

Hi I have been working in the sign industry for 4 years. I design with photoshop (highly advanced) Illustrator (advanced) Signlab (expert)
I work in all facets of the business. What wage should I expect per year without benefits??
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 pm

£35,000 basic. Benefits should include Car, BUPA membership, profit share scheme, and final salary non contributory pension scheme.

And if you get all that..can I get a job :-?
<<

Hugh Potter

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Phill wrote:£35,000 basic. Benefits should include Car, BUPA membership, profit share scheme, and final salary non contributory pension scheme.

lol phil, there'd be a queue!

Enda, hi, welcome to the site, why no take time to introduce yourself in the 'say hello' section!

re wages, it's impossible to say, there are just too many variables, such as...
location, size of the company, company profit and wages budget, etc etc.

the most important factor, i how much an employer see's you as being worth. you're part of a team when employed, generally, and as such each team member will be paid accordingly to their output / importance. If you work for someone who is producing technical designs and doing wraps, big corporate work etc all day long, you'll potentially earn / be worth more than someone in the same position but who produces mainly cut vinyl / more simple designs.

but....

a small signmaker in a small town, with 2 staff, might say £15k, where-as a large design agency in london, with lots of staff and a huge profit margin might agree with Phil's reply! that said, i know someone who runs a design agency in the centre of london, and even their work has dropped in value due to so many computer literate people starting their own companies and undercutting the big boys.

Hugh
<<

Dave Bruce

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:24 pm

You would be looking at £12000 to £15000 with big company here, I know a very big company in Glasgow pays £14000 as starting salary for their designers as there are so many out there wanting full time jobs.

What you expect to get and can get are miles apart.

Good luck.

Dave
<<

Ian Johnston

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:31 pm

what part of ireland are you from, regions vary
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Wages

Enda McDevitt wrote:Hi I have been working in the sign industry for 4 years. I design with photoshop (highly advanced) Illustrator (advanced) Signlab (expert)
I work in all facets of the business. What wage should I expect per year without benefits??
In all honesty, you can 'expect' whatever you like...what you'll get paid is another thing entirely!

ANY employee is only worth paying proportionally what they can contribute to a business. That could be anything from minimum wage to VERY well paid...round here maybe £14 - 15k ish for a 'worker'.
If you want 'designer money' then get out of the Signage industry & go into G.D. - £25 to £30k is no big deal for a top notch designer...and I mean designer...not operator.

At a guess, I'd like / want any employee to be bringing in about 3 times the turnover that the wage costs. ie. you're not going to be getting much if the business only turns over £50 a year!!

As a genuine note & note ANY inference to your skills (unknown), you declare yourself 'expert / highly advanced'...any employer would need to see what THEY think you can do. I've known some people who (talking about one of their employees) "you should see what he can do with Signlab"... be utterly blown away when (somebody else) shows them what it's REALLY capable of! Also speed, accuracy & cost effectiveness.

When it comes down to it - ask for what you think you are worth, if the boss rolls about on the floor laughing you won't be getting a wage rise any time soon!

Dave
<<

Enda McDevitt

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks

Cheers Dave,
your comments are of some help to me. I'll be prepairing my attack over the weekend!! Quantifying my turnover will pose a slight problem; although I have a few good examples of return clients and raising the standard and euro spend of new clients.
<<

Enda McDevitt

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:17 am

Ian Johnston wrote:what part of ireland are you from, regions vary

HI Ian,
originally form the NW side Leitrim to be exact. Some Irish people don't even know its there. Right now I live and work in Cork City for a company 8 strong. I was thinking of working in the to the U.K. for a stint and further my skills. To be honest I nothing tying me down at the moment; so some new experience and a place to start a possible adventure. Maybe just January blues,though the wages in the U.K. seem marginally better.
<<

Enda McDevitt

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:22 am

Phill wrote:£35,000 basic. Benefits should include Car, BUPA membership, profit share scheme, and final salary non contributory pension scheme.

Maybe this is why we see a fair few U.K. Companies on jobs here in Ireland!!
If you own your own company Phil you can do a job or two and have a weekend break, full payment and spare change!
<<

Karl Williams

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:27 am

If you own your own company Phil you can do a job or two and have a weekend break, full payment and spare change!

Load of rollox.
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:39 am

Enda McDevitt wrote:If you own your own company Phil you can do a job or two and have a weekend break, full payment and spare change!

No Enda. It doesn't work like that.

The benefit of owning your own company is that you get to choose which twenty three hours, out of the twenty four, you work in.

Return to General Sign Topics