my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

sign disposal

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:59 pm

sign disposal

i was just wondering what everyone here does as regards to sign disposal?

i am of course talking about the old signs you take down when replacing with your new better signs :cool:

do you say that the signs belong to the client and leave them to dispose of?

do you put sign disposal in the quote?

do you just take it away anyway as that's the service you are providing?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:14 pm

it varies.

if it's a new shop and there's a pile of rubbish / skip, then i use that, if it's just vinyl i take it home and bin it. if it's a big sign, i usually ask them what they want to do with it, i can take it away for £50 (time and the tip charge) . they usually find a way to dispose of it themselves then :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Old signs make great work table tops. Also good for putting over the joists in your attic.
Sometimes antique dealers buy them too.
They also burn pretty well.
Love.....Jill
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm

Had this conversation with SEPA! They gave me a letter to say I don't need a waste carrying license as I re-use old signs. For those that I am not going to re use I officially need a waste carrying license, and if the police stop me with waste in the back I'm done!!

A friend of mine was stopped the other month to check he had a license, it was a routine roadside pull over specifically for this.

So watch out

Cheers

Dave
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:34 pm

I save up all my old signs and every now and then take them to the local council cleansing department. It costs traders £22 a time to dispose of a van load of rubbish for landfill. Homeowners don't have to pay anything.

Further proof that councils regard local business as an easy revenue source :roll:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:06 pm

i save all mine up and pour diesel on with a few old tyres . set fire to it and walk away .
:wink:
because if you keep it tidy it sort it bag it and put it in the proper recycling bins at the tip it is classed as inappropriate disposal of business waste no matter how little there is and they will do you (:)

or to keep on the right side of the law find a local skip company with a sorting station and let them have it its about £100 per skip up here .

i try to keep the offcuts for the local school including foamboard correx etc

Derek
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:18 pm

Phill wrote:I save up all my old signs and every now and then take them to the local council cleansing department. It costs traders £22 a time to dispose of a van load of rubbish for landfill. Homeowners don't have to pay anything.

Further proof that councils regard local business as an easy revenue source :roll:

No they don't Phil, you charge your cost out to the client, why shouldn't the council?
I pay 2k a year rates just to get my private bin emptied, so i would have thought an odd trip to a tidy tip is included, my commercial bin costs £416, well worth it, I dont charge for taking old signs away, just include it in the cost, at a minimum charge, say £10 on every job more than pays for my bin, but keeps the customer happy, and me competitive.

Peter

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:33 pm

I was last there on Monday and was given a questionnaire to fill in and return. Apparently the council are planning to introduce a dedicated re-cycling facility for Traders to use and were seeking feedback via the questionnaire. In amongst it all was one question that asked what method of waste disposal would we use if we didn't use the council services. Naturally I replied that it was my intention to drive out into the countryside at night and dump it in a field somewhere :tongue:

By the way - I currently pay private rates for my house, business rates for my business premises, an annual fee to get my business bin emptied each week (all over and above the £22 I fork out every time I take a van load of old signs to the council tip) - so I reckon I already pay my fair share of local taxes :-?

What really irks me is the number of council employees I see driving aimlessly around the area in their brand new vans - many of which I also see parked up with the drivers reading a newspaper.

And only last week - I was fitting a sign at a local church and two council employees stood and watched me the whole time instead of getting on with their own work (which was supposed to be pruning the trees).

What I'm really trying to say is my local council waste an awful lot of ratepayers money on pointless initiatives and an overstaffed workforce with pension schemes that are beyond the wildest dreams of the self employed who have to make a living in the real world.

......See what you done there Peter - you've wound me up again :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:50 pm

deep breath Phil...
I see it everyday, just like you, but take comfort in knowing I am still better off than the jobsworth sat reading his paper.
even though i am paying him....

sorry for winding you up

wasnt my intention.

not tonight anyway.

Peter

Return to General Sign Topics