my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

where can i source flame polishing machines?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 pm

where can i source flame polishing machines?

Hi all,
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source of these, or a tried and tested way of getting nice smooth edges on acrylic pieces?
This will be for expensive edge lit signs, so need a good finish to them.
Thanks
Steve
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Depending on the supplier - I know some can supply them pre-cut & pre-machine polished.

Give Stockline Plastics a call, I know they have a machine in their Glasgow depot that edge polishes.

or try this method - works for me, but I wouldn't want to do a LOT. Manual flame polishing is a pretty slow & laborious job.

https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.p ... ame+polish

Dave
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:24 pm

Hi Steve

If you are looking for a supplier of cut and polished acrylic try

Thompson Plastics

0208 6809101
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:26 pm

I already bought a load of acrylic all pre cut so having it done isn't an option, I need to do it myself, thanks for the link will go get myself a torch etc tomorrow, what was the brasso/T cut part? does that work without flaming or is that with flaming as well?
Steve
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:41 pm

The brasso / T-cut was instead of a flame. The finish isn't as 'glassy' and it takes a lot more work to get a perfect finish. Best done with a polishing mop though.

I've got a couple of torches - but this is similar to the one I use most.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-print/ ... prodNo=779

Self igniting, lock on flame, variable flame & also on top of the nozzle you can vary the air coming in to soften the intensity.

The 'secret' is getting the surface a flat as possible & dust free before flaming in a VERY steadily in one direction - at the same distance, same speed...

If it's all pre-cut, I'd flat down the edges to remove all traces of saw cuts with wet & dry paper or scrape/shave the edge with a stanley blade held vertically out of the knife. Quick wipe down & PEEL BACK THE COATING by about an inch & skim off so it doesn't melt!

ps. Hope it's cast acrylic you've got...extruded just isn't nice to work with.

pps. Is this for your 'edge lit' project. Are you engraving into the acrylic so the design / test / logo stands out when edge lit? (Light hits the engraved portion passes through the rest. Or for something totally different?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:58 pm

altech is the only one i know
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:59 pm

Thanks Dave,
I will have to trawl Plymouth tomorrow for that sort of torch, theres no rush really as the extrusionsaren'tt coming till friday anwyay, and theres no order as such, Its just something I am trying, yes it is for the edge lit project in conjunction with another .
the 300x300 mm ones wont be a problem as I can have them laser cut which will polish the edges anyway, hopefully the new laser my guy is getting will be big enough to do the 500 mm or even the 700s, but I doubt it, Ah well its onlyy 3 sides isnt it. :lol1:
<<

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:01 pm

this company is only a few miles from me...
http://ispitrade.com/store/index.php?cPath=21
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks Rob, can you nip down in the morning and pop one in the post to me, Ill send the cash on later. :P
<<

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:20 pm

:lol1: no probs... :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:50 pm

yes, thats the price of them... an old one similar to the Awltech

Make sure u stock up on nozzles, we go thru loads
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:30 am

Steve,

At the risk of being a little dull, my insurance for my premises excludes any naked flames. You might want to run it past them.

Martin
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:53 am

at the risk of sounding dumb, how does flame polishing work ? i figured it was some kind of fancy procedure, but from what you lot say, it's simply running a flame along the edge ! is it that easy ?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Hugh Potter wrote:at the risk of sounding dumb, how does flame polishing work ? i figured it was some kind of fancy procedure, but from what you lot say, it's simply running a flame along the edge ! is it that easy ?
I works by JUST melting the acrylic surface. Not hot enough & it'll do a half-assed job - too hot / too long & you'll set it on fire.

Flame temperature is fairly important 'a soft blue' is the best way I can describe it...surface prep is the key - gotta be good before you start.

Take a while to get the knack, whether using a proper flame polisher or a Butane torch (a wee bit riskier!).
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:21 pm

thanks david, i have some samples in the workshop, i'll dig em out and have a play !!

now where did i put the fire extinguisher :o :o :o :o
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:12 pm

David,
It WAS cast not extruded, I DID buy the exact same torch as you, i DID follow your instructions and apart from a couple of minor glitches to start that are now sorted with brasso, (scratched the sides by mistake) I have edges I will happily hang in an edge lit extrusion.
Thank you!

Steve,

At the risk of being a little dull, my insurance for my premises excludes any naked flames. You might want to run it past them. .

Naaa
If I ever manage to become clumsy enough to set myself or the room on fire whilst using a micro flame torch, I will first put out the fire using one of my 2 fire extinguishers that are right next to me, then I will pack up and get a job in Tesco's.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:29 pm

If I ever manage to become clumsy enough to set myself or the room on fire whilst using a micro flame torch

whilst reaching to finish the last part of the edge the chair slipped and i fell to the floor, banging my head on the table leg causing me to loose consciousness, the torch i was using continued to do what it was bought for, burning things.

a fair risk assessment is to start writing the accident report out in you mind.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:57 pm

whilst reaching to finish the last part of the edge

The longest part is 700mm, so can do it in one sweep of the arm no reachingI also do it stood up in the middle of the room on a ceramic tiled floor with no flammable stuff around me, I would have to pass out to set anything on fire, possible I suppose but unlikely.
Still nothing to report to HSBC insurance. :lol1:

Return to Neon, LED, Lighting

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation