my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Would you setup your sign business in Spain?

<<

MattWoolley

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:13 pm

Would you setup your sign business in Spain?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone had looked into or actually made the move of taking there business abroad, just interested been thinking about it lately.

Tar

mod-edit
Topic = "Spain"
please make topic titles more descriptive please!

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Mat

There are quite a few on the boards who have sign businesses in Spain,
some have problems simply because the don't speak Spanish.

If you want to compete as a business, the first rule (even more so in signage) is to be able to communicate, so unless you speak fluent Spanish, you are onto a loser, your market will be limited to ex-pats,
so unless you have a readymade customer base, you will find it hard to survive.

If you do speak fluent Spanish, go for it, you will be on equal terms, and its then up to you if you thrive as a business.

My philosophy though, If you aren't doing to well in England, you wont do better abroad.
and visa versa,

Peter
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:12 am

Peter Normington wrote:My philosophy though, If you aren't doing to well in England, you wont do better abroad. and visa versa.

Never a truer word.......

If you're just going for the climate or the lifestyle Matt, then that's fine, but don't expect business to be any easier.

My theory of ex-pats is that a large majority have a problem of some sort, which doesn't get solved by merely relocating.

That comment will likely stir things up but, from coming into contact with quite a few, has been my experience.
<<

MattWoolley

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:12 am

True, the language barrier is a massive one, was just intrigued as I have just returned from a fortnight over there and was wondering how the guys who went out there found it.

Cheers
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:06 pm

as has been said, read many from this site that have tried, some still out there. none ever posted of doing well.. just post about supplier problems or selling up to come home.
you just have to look at the poor condition and quality of the signage over there to know you either produce cheap and cheerful or nothing... even the road signage is unbelievably bad! its no wonder there are so many accidents... they aren't even illuminated or reflective...
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:08 pm

As usual Peter's comment's make a lot of sense. If you don't speak the language then you are going to have a very limited market and will have trouble with suppliers as others have on the boards. Tempting as it may seem for the warmer weather I wouldn't make a move like that because I wouldn't be able to communicate very well.
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi
Peter from Eazytaper runs a successful sign business in Spain as well as selling the ET, but everyone is right in the language barrier when moving a business to any country is always going to be a problem

Kev
<<

Dave Bruce

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:57 am

Just back from Spain, was over there on a searching holiday just to see what the areas were like and opportunities. Very disappointed with the neglect and the lies we were told (from british estate agents) about property and areas we were looking at. Met some brits living there (not hard, they are everywhere putting our name to shame) full of horror stories. Fell in love with one house, only to find the previous owner (british) had been stabbed to death, price had been dropped from 250,000eur to 175,000eurs!

Tried to find Peter in Lubrin (tiny beautiful village) but the folk in the only bar didn't know of him!! which was strange.

Had a great time anyway, nice and warm, covered 2500kms from Valencia to Gibralta, and glad I hadn't lost my Spanish.

So here for a while yet

Cheers

Dave
<<

graffica

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:26 am

Robert Lambie wrote:as has been said, read many from this site that have tried, some still out there. none ever posted of doing well.. just post about supplier problems or selling up to come home.
you just have to look at the poor condition and quality of the signage over there to know you either produce cheap and cheerful or nothing... even the road signage is unbelievably bad! its no wonder there are so many accidents... they aren't even illuminated or reflective...

Rob. I coudn´t agree about "cheep or cheerful or nothing". I know all the Spanish signmakers (about 15 of them in) in my area. A couple of them might produce cheap crap. The standard of work in general is very high...certainly as good as anything in the UK. You´ve also got to bear in mind that some customers want signage done with cheapest materials, so it´s no wonder you´ll sometimes see tatty rubbish. But of course,never in the UK, eh?
Most of the motorway signs I´ve seen here use reflective and are well illuminated.
As regards British sign-makers doing well, I know a couple of failures, but they´d probably have failed in the UK anyway. I personally know 4 and they´re doing OK, and they´re all doing well.
I came here in 1985 with a Grafix 4B and ended up with 3 sign-shops. I sold the business in 1993. So blowing my own trumpet, I was pretty successful.
I now concentrate on garment printing and display products, but do some sign-making as well. I never compromise on materials or price, and am always busy.

So yes, there´s always room for another sign-maker, British or otherwise.
As I´ve said before in previous posts, it´s all about attidude. Research the area you want to set up in. Do a good job at a fair price and you´ll succeed. Above all, learn the language....or at least as much as you need to be able to communicate about your chosen trade. I´ve absoloutely no time for those who don´t.

Chris

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat