my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

VersaCAMM: Cut on already printed media.

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:03 pm

VersaCAMM: Cut on already printed media.

I'd like to print on an adhesive paper with a dye plotter, then cut it with my new versacamm SP-540V. Before wasting a lot of money on this plotter, the seller guaranteed me that yes, it can recognize optically the print and cut.
But, seems that there's no option in versaworks to make print the job on another printer.
The crop marks must be applied from the RIP, right?

What software do i need?
Thanks, sorry for my "noobiness"
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Not 100% certain I know what you mean but it sounds like you need the Roland "ColorRIP" to create the registration marks, though if you don't have a Roland Printer I can't see how this would help.

I have created the registration marks in Signlab and worked out where they should be positioned for use with screen-printed output.
After screen-printing the sheets were fed into the versacamm and it found the marks then cut the shapes just fine.

In principle you could do the same (create the marks and add them to your print image).

Col
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 pm

Now i'll try the demo and see if it can do what i mean.
How high is its price?
There's no mention of the price in the webpage
http://www.cadlink.com/products/signLab/sl_pc.php :roll:
Usually when an item is really expensive, the price is hidden... :cry:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:20 pm

As long as you can print the alignment marks correctly the Colorcamm will be able to see them.

Set Versaworks to print the alignment marks and to cut only and RIP the job. Load the printed vinyl and tell Versaworks to output.

Providing the alignment marks are identical to those that the Versacamm would have printed, it will measure them and then cut.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:56 pm

How to make the alignment marks? Manual says "a circle with diameter 10 mm"
I will try to draw them on cheap media :wink:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:36 pm

I don't think you can draw them and hope for them to work. The alignment marks are very precise in position, size, shape and density.
It may be possible to establish the correct alignment marks and, say, screenprint them.

Why do you want to print on a different printer anyway? If you buy a Versacamm, why are you not printing & cutting on that?
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:52 pm

Registration marks in SignLab

Hi Mapicco,

In terms of a general workflow, you would indeed print registration marks on the media, which would then be used by the cutter to align the contour paths.

The operator manual for the given cutter will specify the registration marks that you need, and then it is a matter of designating that type of mark in the software. You can either place registration marks manually, or have then created automatically when ready to print and cut.

Drawing registration marks by hand can be hit-and-miss. Essentially, an optical eye will recognize the given registration marks, provided that the mark is dark enough and is not obscured by the background. For example, some media require that spot white is laid down beneath the registration marks, such that the optical eye will pick up the marks correctly.

With respect to pricing for SignLab, you would need to consult a local dealer. You should be able to get contact info from our CADlink UK office. Alternatively, the cadlink.com site has a dealer lookup along the top menu bar.

Cheers,

Rod at CADlink
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:37 am

Re: Registration marks in SignLab

You can generate your own markers in coral and contour cut through winplot. As far as i'm aware this can work with most cutters. Winplot can be down loaded from the Summa website for free. I think the latest is 6007, and it's as accurate as some software costing hundreds or even thousands.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 am

Or you could just print the self adhesive paper on the Versacamm and
cut them on the Versacamm. You can get self adhesive paper for solvent
inkjets from Allprint Supplies.

Cheers,
Jamie.

Return to Roland Cutters