Interesting 'Small Claims' link.

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:25 pm

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Official one too -

How often have we said - "it's more hassle than it's worth" when bumped by some scummy customer. Suppose it could make it LESS hassle than having to file paperwork.

Not really had a look through it, as I've no use for it...at present!

Dave
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:06 pm

that does look interesting Dave, I know what you mean about the paper route, and the amount of time it takes. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has used it.

Lynn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:08 pm

I'll look through that later as I have 2 "customers" to take action against.
<<

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:34 pm

interesting Dave, ill have to have a read at this mate... might get my money from Mike Brown, aka "mike the sign" after all eh! :wink:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:54 pm

This is really easy to use - you need to login as new user to start and then just add the details. Will probably take half hour or so. They then issue summons in the next day or so. You will need to pay a fee by credit card - amount depends on amount you are claiming I think. I paid £50 for £450 claim.

If you lose your claim, you don't pay the other parties costs (think this assumes proceedings not deemed so without merit/malicious) so worth a punt for a reasonable debt.

Make sure you seek interest and costs (you have to add special wording if you want the interest seem to recall).

Had to do it the other month after 5 months of no joy - they paid principal by return - I then left it in the system until they paid the interest and costs (another £70) a month later. Still think they had a judgment in default for this balance as they did not formally respond and pay in time.

One thing to be careful with - you will need to give the non-paying parties a last chance to pay before you issue - a formal 'Letter Before Action' - otherwise this may cause problems if disputed in court I think. You are probably best using recorded delivery or similar so they cannot dispute that they had it.

The FSB have standard wordings/letters for these.

As a footnote, the company I took to court rang on last Friday for more work...I told them to bugger off to start with but have now agreed to do it with cash in advance.

Martin
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:35 pm

MoneyClaimOnline is a good system, however, it is worth noting that anyone north of the border MUST use an English correspondence address. So if you're scottish and want to use this service, get yourself a english mailing address first.

I looked at this system to claim for an outstanding debt (English customer residing in London) but decided to use the English County Court System ...... which was VERY easy, you only have to fill out one downloadable N1 form which is easy done. I also had to have an english mailing address to do this too.
My customer now has a CCJ against him ............. I'm now at the next step of enforcing it :-?
<<

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:52 pm

thanks for the advice martin and marcella...
i actually just read the bit about the mailing address marcella. funny enough, i have two mates that have recently moved to Stretford. :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:46 am

If anybody needs an English mailing address..........

:D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:47 am

I used this service some while ago, in conjunction with a free half hour with a solicitor. It's very easy to use and understand which is very useful if you work and make all the decisions on your own.
My advice would be, sit down and write up some notes about all the conversations, telephone calls etc and collect all the paperwork that goes with the job and get everything absolutely clear in your mind about every aspect of the refusal to pay. A free half hour with a solicitor might be useful at that point. Having done that go online and set the ball rolling, but be prepared for a long wait ie. months.
Success means you will recover all your costs and you also get the option during the process to charge interest on the monies to are claiming.
Sadly you don't get the opportunity to punch the b*rstards nose.
Steve

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation