my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

my application fluid is not working properly?

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:15 pm

my application fluid is not working properly?

Hi All,
Recently brought some application fluid from a well known supplier and it was terrible, so soapy everything just slipped about. Still it was cheap so I guess I will use as a cleaner. Is there a recipe that someone would like to share with me? Have tried one drop of washing liquid with water and meths but wondered if there another i could try?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:19 pm

We always do things dry on the rare occasion we apply wet we just spray a fine mist of water on the surface where applying and on the back of the vinyl never failed us yet

just my 2 bobs worth

:wink:

G
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:22 pm

have to say that lately I have done the same, took time to learn the dry way but its great and saves time, just occasionally I need to wet as i apply alone and large areas can be a problem.
Thanks for the speedy reply
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 pm

Although I do most stuff dry these days - there are times when wet is required.

Two DRIPS of washing liquid per litre of water - and sometimes a splash of meths for good measure.

It's enough soap to make the water 'wet' better & not bead, but won't degrade the adhesion once it dries out. Recently I've stopped adding meths as it had no significant benefit in most situations. A light misting is normally all that's required.

Bear in mind whether your vinyl is water or solvent based adhesive. If water based you MUST be quick to work out all the water or the adhesive turns white & detaches from the vinyl.

Dave
<<

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Rapid Tac

We here in the US use something called Rapid Tac. This stuff is great! Please note that you should not use it with Control Tack vinyls, nor should you use it with Eazy Apply vinyl. Certain grades such as FDC and the recent problems with Avery keep me clear of their use with application fluids(Avery A9 is going bad here and reflectives). I highly recommend the use of Rapid Tac along with Oracal 750 series vinyl for the best application and the longest duration. Just take it easy on the amount of fluid.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:00 pm

i would say i only use rapid tac 2 but i did get some very cheap stuff from cherwells which was great for the job it was brought for
rich
<<

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 pm

DRY... Do it Bloody DRY... save money, save time, maximise the durability. Do it DRY! :wink:

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

OK RANT OVER...

if i had too, ide use fresh mist of water... nothing else.
the best fluid i tested was Rapid tac 2. it actually works in the cold.

that said... Do it DRY.... DRY....

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:06 pm

rob did you say do it dry ???

your so right mate the time i have saved would buy me a container of rapid tac 2
but always good for multi colour jobs and etch
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:50 pm

on the very occasional times, regardless of what Rob says that it is done wet we use cherwells overlay, have tried rapid tac 2 didn't like it, another one is johnsons baby shampoo 1 drop in about a pint of water but honest Rob mostly dry. :D

Lynn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:23 am

Did a mini roof wet today, exception to the rule, they used to be mac 9800 but recently a few have come back faded and looking crap.
Now 3m is the replacement (its the silver that's the problem) Anyway the decal supplied, was full of creases in the app tape, now to do it dry would have transferred some of the creases to the vinyl despite a little notice stating otherwise on the decal. so rather than tell the customer to come back another day, wet was the way to go.
I'm a proud man, but sometimes I use discretion, and in this case, discretion was the better part of valor

I only did the roof wet though, intricate boot, bumpers, spoiler and bonnet were all by necessity done dry

Peter
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:51 am

I thought the savior was Rapid Tac2 to my solutions with large graphics but I've found nothing but problems with it. I now use baby shampoo which seems to be a far better solution. Rapid Tac2 is not the solution by my experience.

(mod-edit)
Last edited by Nathan on Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:00 am

3 drops of fairy [or johnsons] isoprop and water..........5m x 1220mm etch no probs.......tickle :D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:51 am

yep dry here to..
sometimes a very fine mist and thats about it.
all depends on how good your technique is really, doing things dry for someone with limited experience can be tricky, wet does allow for that, but drying times can cause problems to..
Trial and error really.

Ade
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:06 am

Dry, we trained everyone to dry install so once they get that down theres no need for a wet application.

Return to Vinyl