COLOUR VARIATION

<<

Stephen Ingham

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:28 pm

COLOUR VARIATION

Hi all, quick question.

Something thats now not only annoying but getting to be a pain in the a/=e now.

I generally do all my design/proof work on my laptop but the versacamm is connected to another pc for output.

the problem is that i do a design on my pc, transfer it to the other pc and the colour is very much darker...and the output is more like the pc rather than the laptop.

any tips??

cheers
stephen
<<

coolinshot

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:36 pm

Which software are you using?

Are you printing with a RIP or something like Signlab?

Your file shouldn't change just by copying it from one machine to another unless you are re-opening the file into a different colour model then re-saving it - and its pretty common for monitors to display the same colours differently so you can't really use your eye when choosing colours on screen.

Printing swatches from your device using differing profiles should give you a visual representation when designins or setting your colours in the first place.

Some colours in Signlab for instance look completeley different when exported to Illustrator even though the colour values are the same.

Hope this helps
Col
<<

Stephen Ingham

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:43 pm

hi col, thanks for the reply.

we do our designs in coreldraw but when i save it to my memory stick and then open it on the pc used for printing in coreldraw the colour appears very much darker.

we are using colorip to rip the file.

is it possibly that the two monitors can be calibarated to match??

cheers
stephen
<<

coolinshot

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Some monitors can be adjusted using the menu buttons (some have profiles that you can choose) but really it's not what you see on the monitor its what you KNOW will come off the printer. You can mess about with the monitor all day but it won't affect the colour of the output. (you could try printing the colour you have then changing the monitor to suit - but this won't mean that every colour you see will print as displayed).

I don't use Corel much but I would have thought that it had pantone palettes or custom palettes that you can create and add to.

The colorRIP software will change the colours depending on the profile you choose so its important to experiment and print out your swatches so that you can quickly choose a colour on screen (whether its your laptop or pc).
<<

Alan Drury

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:18 pm

I would explore the colour manager settings in Corel, I assume you are running the same version on each computer. I find that running the generic profiles display darker than custom ones. For internal workspace I use Adobe rgb 1998 set to perceptual rather than automatic - separations = Euroscale coated (point to this) - Monitor is the profile that my Huey generated, generic will do at a pinch but try to get your monitor profile off the web - cmyk printer I don't use. Touch wood when I get jobs back from printers colours printed and displayed are not far out, this applies from litho or digital.
Alan D
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:25 pm

Well we have quite a few monitors all running corel on PC, so this is what we get

i have:-
2 old 19" hansol make monitors, colours are dark, eyestrain!
3 old CRT Hansol tube monitors, colours are washed out, terrible.
2 laptops with cheap FTF screens, colours are good, text is bad.
4 apple cinema flat panel monitors, perfect but expensive, wont knock these at all
2 lacie CRT photographers monitors , really good but not as good as the apples.

Pretty much to do with monitor quality and how much research you did, when I buy a new computer, the number one priority is monitor and then everything else after that doesn't matter as much.
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:13 pm

Stephen yes your input and output devices can be calibrated to show the same colours, monitors, printers, scanners etc can all be calibrated to ensure you print the colour you see on the screen. The other thing to remember is that if you are designing your work in RGB and printing in CMYK then you will get variations on colour when the artwork is converted.
<<

Stephen Ingham

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:27 pm

hi martin, no its just when i change from my laptop to the pc used to print on

ste
<<

George Kern

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:10 pm

Stephen,

The only way you are going to resolve this issue is if you profile all your equipment by using calibration tools, you can have the same monitors and one could still show colors different then the other just by using different profiles. The hardware to profile everything from your monitors, scanners, digital cameras, to your printers can be very different in pricing. It may be beneficial to you to go out and buy your own equipment, of you can have a technician come in and profile your equipment for you. It was eventually worth it for us to go out an get our own hardware because we profile all the different media that we print on so we can get the same results time after time without question. The industry has a term for this WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). If it looks that way on the screen, it will print that way on your machines.

http://www.xrite.com/top_product.aspx?Industry=1&Segment=5&Type=SL

Theres some of the options you have.

Return to General Printing Topics