Categories
  • TIMELINE

plotter problems

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 pm

plotter problems

hi folks :D

i have just recently bought a graphtec ce3000 1220 wide plotter....the problem im having is when the full length of vinyl is all loaded and ready to cut...when the machine starts to cut it pulls the roll of vinyl off the rollers at the back with huge force....just screwed up another load of vinyl today...so i thought i would slow the cutting speed down, but didnt work same thing happened again anyone any ideas :-?

cheers

nik
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:49 pm

I would unroll a couple of metres off the bulk of the roll so it's hanging over the back a bit. Our Mutoh does that from time to time with full rolls.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Dont all cutters have a Vinyl Advance feature just for this.
Most cutters you can set to Pre Roll out x amount befor cutting.

In the Graphtec 4100 5100 manual its says you can enable (auto prefeed)

Hope it doesnt pre feed at max velocity
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:00 am

Nick
are the rollers for holding the vinyl roll adjustable. I have 2 summa's a D61u & D120se & if i dont make sure i have he rollers adjusted for the relevant amount of vinyl on the roll it will pull the roll up. This as been more noticeable since i have swopped to Oracle 751c as the rolls don't seem to be as tightly rolled as my previous vinyl suppliers rolls.

Kev
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:12 am

Nik on a graphtec (I always do it with any plotter) roll out more than you need for your cut then you can check it's running true and you won't get the huge tugging which can throw it off, most graphtecs have a pre feed so you can tell it how much you want to cut, it automatically doe's it and winds back to start position if thats not clear I'm sure Jayne can explain it better :roll:

Lynn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:00 pm

Um, err, oh.........I'll ask Jeff :lol1:
You explained it well Lyn :D
Actually Ive never had a problem with my cutter but I make sure that its running slow enough and also that I have enough vinyl wound off the roll to prevent it from snatching. If there's any other issues, Nik, give Graphtec support a ring and they will be only too happy to help. I think Jeff is in today so feel free :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:24 pm

thanks for the replys folks.....ive just finished had a real busy day, not had a chance to look at it, will get it sorted tomorrow :wink:

nik
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:49 pm

Hi Nik,
We have the same Graphtec. When cutting from big rolls ie 50m rolls, turn speed down to 40. that should stop jerking the vinyl. Pulling out the required length helps too.
Vic
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:55 pm

It's the one complaint I've got with the CE3000. It does it a lot when there is only a few metres left on the roll, presumably because there is less weight in the roll. With a full 50M roll I often get an "axis error" as the machine jars the vinyl. I always pre-feed to get around it, but it's poor design if you ask me. I've never had this problem with any other plotter.

Our old Gerber 380 sprocketted thingy had a nifty spring loaded shock absorber type of thing that worked very well.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:05 am

Graphtec CE3000-60 problems

I to have a graphtec plotter CE3000-60 i was most frustrated with this machine as it is a very plastic design (unlike the old Roland Plotters PNC1200 which was a very robust design and could pull a 50 mtr rol without geting a jamming error) and not very robust but it has got a feed mtr setting (which you can set bygoing through the menu you will see feed) this can be set from 1 mtr to 50 mtrs what happens is when you send it to cut it will slowly feed a mtr out of the plotter and cut that mtr then it will feed another meter out and cut that mtr and so on and so forth until its finished cutting the job.
What you may also get (which i get on my cutter CE3000-60) is no media halfway cutting through the job DONT STOP THE MACHINE OR LIFT THE LEVER TO REALIGN JUST PRESS THE ENTER BUTTON and it will carry on cutting another floor from Graphtec Machines (unless its just my Machine)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:13 am

I run my machine at speed 20 and have little or no problems at all, but that speed is what I prefer, this way if there are any snarl ups with the vinyl kinking then I usually have time to sort it before the cutter has to stop. It may be slow but I very rarely waste any vinyl.
With regard to the cutter that stops half way through and says there is no media, this could be due to the vinyl lifting as it runs through and this exposes the sensor which in turn leads the cutter to think there is no media. This can happen if the cutter is near to a wall and as the vinyl runs back and forth through, it begins to lift and loop behind the cutter and causing problems. Try and make sure the vinyl has enough room either side of the cutter to run smoothly and flat.
Just a suggestion, hope it helps :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi Nik,

As has been suggested, use the pre feed set to 1m and it will run fine a speed of 30 - 40 is ok. I'm a steady eddy and like to run them at 20 - 30, with pre feed, never been to a sign shop that can weed faster than the plotter can cut :D but I'm sure there are some about :)

cheers

Jeff
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:14 pm

jeffus wrote:Hi Nik, been to a sign shop that can weed faster than the plotter can cut :D but I'm sure there are some about :)

cheers

Jeff

Better not lynn hear that Jeff!
she is always back for the next bit before I finish cutting..

Peter
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi Peter,

Lyn must be a super star, Jayne doesn't ask me to weed to often , I'd be there forever :D , and i always misplace the dots on the i's :(

cheers

Jeff
<<

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:12 pm

reg your problem with exess material

Hi nic, try the rollers as apart as possible, On my mutoh it works.(until it broke down yesterday).
Hope it will work on your machine
Regards
Tam
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Peter Normington wrote:
Better not lynn hear that Jeff!
she is always back for the next bit before I finish cutting..

Peter

My mum is fast too. She always beats the plotter. Must be their nimble fingers I reckon :wink:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:12 pm

some plotters have a pen up speed which you should slow down a bit but if you dont like the pre feed turn it off.
running plotters flat out does in my opinion only wear them out quicker.

chris
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:51 pm

get an

get an empty core
-and re roll it backwards onto it
if its 50metres, cut it in half!
25/25

you will put a bit of air between the roll, plus it won't be so heavy

-turn the speed up!!!!
:D