my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

A few home truth's!

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:11 am

A few home truth's!

after going to my interview yesterday I'm am feeling rather depressed now. :cry:

if you could imagine your worst nightmare for an interview then i think i may have just had that! :-?

Day just started out good but after that ...well see what u think ourselves!

got up at 6 and though, right better show i can get to Perth on time every day, so me being me i left at 7 (interview at 9) and just took my time, trying to judge what traffic would be like etc.. arrived at 8!oups.. was told to come in anyway so a though hey that's a bit o luck.

now i thought with my experience in tinting that it could poss help me with vehicle signage etc.... well obviously not. after an hour and a half interview i now feel like i am a nugget! (!)

i was told that i was cocky and arrogant right from the start. i honestly feel like am 2inches tall right now. i honestly had no idea that was the way i come across. i feel that i have probably blown it with several company's now because of this.

gotta say i really feel like a di*k right now!

rant over.

:oops:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:25 am

Hey Stuart. Sorry to hear that mate.

A 90 minute interveiw, wow, must have thought you had it in the bag.

If I can give you any advice.... be a listener.

There is a fine line between confidence and being cocky. You probably crossed it in your eagerness to impress.

Next time, when asked a question, think about your response. Think about how it is going to come across. Listen, think then answer. So many guys I didn't employ simply because they came across like they knew everything. They may well have, but the boss likes to think he knows more. If you are going to threaten that image, your history.

From an employers perspective, you have to way up how the person is going to fit in with the team already employed. No one likes someone that 'has all the answers', unless he is bing employed in that capacity.

That said, after 90 minutes , I'd be disappointed too.

Battle on tho Stuart, learn from each setback. Next time answer each question honestly, but don't elaborate too much unless they ask you. Most companies these days have a profile they are looking for. Your company may well have been looking for a timid personality that could be pushed around, sort of like a yes person. It probably was not the job you were looking for anyway.

Desperation is going to be your enemy. Unfortunately you are going to show this in your body language. Don't discount the body language theory either. Some of our biggest recruitment companys here train future staff in its powers.

All the best mate

Shane
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:47 am

thank you for you comments.. i forgot to mention this, after reading it over again..

i have been offered a job with them starting on Monday next week, BUT i truly feel its only been offered to see how long i will last.. all through the interview i felt like i was being made fun off. it sound really pathetic and i know i am not explaining the situation correctly hear.
will try tho.
I'm aware its going to be hard for me especially as for the last 3 years i have been the head person, in charge of stock, training etc and now I'm going back to the bottom of the pile. I'm not a daft wee 16 year old either. I'm 24 with a partner and a mortgage.

throughout the interview the owner was honest with me. i will not post his name as he is well known in Scotland apparently. he openly said to me from the beginning that HE was a ars**le and very arrogant etc. he owns shares in several company's throughout Scotland etc.

it might have just been an exercise to see whether i would crack, i really don't know. i know i was hoping for more than what he has offered me pay wise( and after thinking about it i was prob being a bit stupid with what i would have liked to get!)

i truly think i would be good at this type of job but no matter how i try to put that across it sound arrogant.

i know i have things i need to work on..fast! but a don't know what to do now..

i really need a job, (as bill's don't pay themselves) and the travel ling dint bother me time wise but its gonna cost me nearly a third of my wage on petrol due to millage.

a think i have a lot of thinking to do hear.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:50 am

(Edited in view of Stuart's recent post.)

What's the problem then Stuart? You have been given an opportunity.

Take the job, prove that your are an invaluable employee and improve your wage and position over a period of time.

Never mind your employer, if the job doesn't come up to YOUR requirements you will be able to keep looking around for a better position but at least in the meantime you are earning a wage and gaining experience in signmaking.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 am

Stuart, it is also not uncommon to have a probation period to see how you work out. This is usually on a minium wage. After a short time, if you prove you are reliable, trust worthy, respectful and appreciative, they'll more than likely review your wage structure.

You never know, they may realise in a month or two that you have leadership qualities, and it will get better from there.

As Johns says tho, it is easier to find a job whilst employed than unemployed.

Hang in there Stuart.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:03 am

:jump:

cheers.will need to make my decision today i think.. :headbang2:
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:27 am

HI Stuart.
ITS john........a lot of local places around here (brisbane) would not like to spend money or there time training someone.
too worried that you might deside to leave when you get some cash
behide you..
I am totaly NOT saying you would.....But hey, you can't expect to get all the secrets and leave........and then maybe even go in competion with them.......
we see a few of tinters looking over the fences.... trying to see what where doing...
play it cool mate.......hey. how did you cut your other graphics...
not with sissors i hope........good luck buddy
ps. no matter how friendly you get with your work mates don,t ever,ever
tell them that you are intereseted it doing it your self one day.

loose lips.........sinks ships
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:33 am

when i done vehicle graphics we got them supplied to us froma company down in england.. all i done was fit them, which to be honest i found rather fun and not to hard. i do beleve that my skills as a tinter helped me but who knows.. i have done weeding and masking and stuff before for our own signs.(had a local company cut vinal for my ex boss(as he wouldnt pay to have the whole job done) and i done the rest.

will try phoning around again today..

what wold be the best way to tackle this then if i was to phone up your company?

i have tryed the line of what i was doing and if there was any jobs but i seem to get the standard answer of we dont need any one.

if i could word myself a bit better that might help me!
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 am

me again Stuart......john.
well i probably would.............sh#t, what happens if he is ready this..
i will call you mr x from now on.

ok. mr X.....i would probably go for gold .
Get the job with the company you spoke about....put ya head down....
learn as much as you can of em.......because don't forget how he made you feel after the interview.....he did not have to make you feel like that.
...Just as long as you weren't asking for it that is.
SO THE GUILT IS GONE. .....
...if he got you a drink of coke and was nice to you through the interview.
and you got home feeling good, i would say something differant...

you seem to be a confedent person ...he must of givin you a pritty hard time..(unless you don't like people telling you how to do things, or your not used to it) IF there is anthing you want to ask ..just do it ..
ps. no one has the right to make people feel like cr#p (even if they,do
or don't creat the problem them selfs..........seeya
Last edited by JOHN BEEDHAM on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:08 am

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who think they are owed a job.

At your own admittance you think you screwed up your interview and are feeling down. Why? You were offered a job which is why you went to your interview. If the job does not feel right, move on. But don't whine about salary etc. Any employer needs some time to see how good a recruit really is. There are far too many plonkers who think they are God's gift to signmaking.

Why not accept the job and prove yourself? Invest a little time to show your boss what you can do and what your value to the company is. Make progress through your own ability.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:15 am

JOHN BEEDHAM wrote:NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO MAKE ANOTHER PERSON FEEL LIKE SH#T

You are absolutely right John, but it's not always their fault. Sometimes the recipient can be over-sensitive and take things too seriously and too personally.

Now, I'm not saying that this is true in Stuart's case, but he seems to have taken offence at being told that his prosepective employer is an "@rseh0le to work for". I will agree that there are various ways of getting this across, but I always tell prospective employees a similar thing, that I can sometimes be difficult to work for, but I would rather they know this at the outset than find out later.

Similarly, Stuart felt that he was being made fun of. Might it have been that the employer was trying to be friendly and jocular? I don't know - I wasn't there and I don't know the individuals concerned.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:21 am

I took a job when I was in my early twenties that didn't feel right. The bloke was VERY difficult to work with/for. I stuck it for a couple of years, but gained immeasurable experience from it. It's all part of life's rich pageant! Until now, I have never been happy at my work but my current boss is a smashing geezer. :wink:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:24 am

"It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who think they are owed a job." i never said i was owed a job or thought that, and i wasnt whineing about my offer for a wage.

to make things a bit clearer i used to get £400 plus a week and now im being offered £160 a week. this itself is hard to work round with my current situation. if thats me whinging about it then sorr. not ment to be taken like that.

the fact i have been offerd a job i am greatfull for. this was not the point of my origional post tho.

i will quote some thing which i was told yesterday " i dont need you. i dont really want you to be honest, but i can offer you a job to start on monday. it will be fun to see if you get anybodys backs up"

that is hurtfull. i will not go into details about things because a i still am unsure about what i am going to do. i dont want to offend anyone hear either. i just would like to know how i can better myself from this
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:30 am

I think it's difficult to make comment on either Stuart or the employer here as we weren't there to hear the interview. It's true there is a fine line between being confident and being cocky as Shane said but you must sell yourself at an interview! If a prospective employer asks you if you think you can do the job, of course you say yes or you wouldn't be there. If you sat and said... um... well... I'm not sure... but eh I might, then you have sod all chance of getting the job.
I think we must also admit that some business owners can be guilty of disappearing up their own ar$e and see themselves as being superior. Some if faced with someone younger and confident can take the hump and try to impress on them that they're a big shot.
Personally, Stuart, if you need a job, take it. You may find that the boss man isn't as big a t1t as he appeared. Head down and get on with it and you never know, if it works out then you may find yourself in a far better position in a years time.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:31 am

thank you. :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:35 am

Stuart_glasgow wrote:i will quote some thing which i was told yesterday " i dont need you. i dont really want you to be honest, but i can offer you a job to start on monday. it will be fun to see if you get anybodys backs up"

Stuart, I didn't see this before I made my post. If that's what he said to you tell him to stick his job up his ar$e to keep his head company!
I would not work for someone so arrogant, an employer has no right to speak to you like he's scraped you off the sole of his shoe.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 am

you see thats the problem i have... he said right from the start that he is very well knowen in sign industry in scotland and he's a bit of a BIG man in that sence. he admitted hes a arrogant pig amoungst other things. then he started on me..

YES i could have done things differently in my interview. having only ever gone for 3 in my life i am finding this hard. i have only worked for 3 diff companys.. one from when i was 14 untill19, one for a year in same line of work then my last job, doing tints for 4 years!

he has done me one thing tho. made me realsie that i have things i need to change in myself, like being cocky and arragat. i pesonaly dont see myself as bad as said but how dose?
Last edited by Stuart_glasgow on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 am

Stuart_glasgow wrote:i will quote some thing which i was told yesterday " i dont need you. i dont really want you to be honest, but i can offer you a job to start on monday. it will be fun to see if you get anybodys backs up"

Stuart, if that is what he said, then I wouldn't waste my time.

Everything thing said here is good advice, although I don't totally agree with my fellow aussie, but end of the day, you have to go with your gut feeling.

I'm not the easiest person to work with either, I'm opinionated, and I am passionate about my job. But I would/have never made/make that style of comment to a future employee.

This bloke sounds like he is a bully to me. I'm not impressed by businessmen that make their fortune by walking on others. I sleep very well at night knowing I treat others like I want to be treated.

I don't know what else to suggest, but I'd be looking at taking any other job and wait for a sign position to become available.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:46 am

:lol1: I like the turn around Marcella.

i will quote some thing which i was told yesterday " i dont need you. i dont really want you to be honest, but i can offer you a job to start on monday. it will be fun to see if you get anybodys backs up"

When I read that I was supprised at your initial post, I would agree forget it look for another job.

Ofcourse only you know your circumstances and needs so only you can decide at then end of the day.

Cheers

Dave.com.com.com
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:51 am

ive kinda done all this backwords really havent i.. my head is rather firmly up my own ( oh i swore ) today. im not really handeling things to well this week.. im selling my other car today so hopefully that will put a smile on my face for a while.. and some pennies in bank for a bit to.

once again. sorry if i offended anyone and thank you very much for the advise. good or bad it what i asked for aint it?!!?!?!

cheers
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 am

you're amongst friends here mate, don't worry about it. We all have to have a shoulder 'to cry on' at times.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:03 pm

Stuart_glasgow wrote:you see thats the problem i have... he said right from the start that he is very well knowen in sign industry in scotland and he's a bit of a BIG man in that sence. he admitted hes a arrogant pig

i wouldnt worry about it stuart....i wouldnt work for anyone with his attitude....anyone who quotes they are BIG in scotland, has his own head buried somewhere else :D its your pride thats been knocked out of joint, but dont worrie you'll get something :wink:

nik
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:15 pm

fellow aussie (thats me johnno)...
.....could't ya see my face,
i was only stuffing around...just incase his new boss was reading every thing we all wrote....don't listen to me anyway mate, i am going through one of my hungry spells.
hey shane have another read....i fixed itup....sorry for sturring up things.

Brought two polo shirts today.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:23 pm

like yerself, i've only ever been to a few interviews in my life, about 6 i guess, only one where i didnt get the job, a bit gutting but thats only cos i fancied the job (maintenence engineer in a gypsum mine !!), waasnt qualified for it or owt ! just lots of experience which counted for nowt cos they wanted an hnc graduate ! i knew this but still went and tried my luck, suggesting they take me on as a trainee (i'm a fast learner) and knock £10k of the wage (was £30k) but they knew what they wanted i guess,

i think if anyone spoke to me the way the guy spoke to you, i'd've politely turned his offer down and walked out, maybe not the rght thing to do financially, but i've worked for someone like that before, make out they're doing you a favour when infact they're just taking on cheap labour, its people like that that made me decide not to look for paye work again after redundancy.

best thing you can do is get in there, or any other job for that matter, and then get yerself a cv sent round to all the signmakers, the starting wages may not be a whole lot better, but the attitudes will be !!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Brought two polo shirts today
:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:33 pm

is there any way i can find out who the companys that are in scotland are from this site. i have tryed yell.co. etc but theres so many am loosing track of things now.

at least if i get turned down from on hear i know i will get taken seriously.

haha
:lol1:

time for luch a think! eyes are going strange now!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:37 pm

JOHN BEEDHAM wrote:fellow aussie (thats me johnno)...
.....could't ya see my face,
i was only stuffing around...just incase his new boss was reading every thing we all wrote....don't listen to me anyway mate, i am going through one of my hungry spells.
hey shane have another read....i fixed itup....sorry for sturring up things.

Brought two polo shirts today.

:lol1: :lol1: yor a good man Johnny.

Your entitled to your opinion mate. Don't change it for me tho. Hell, I'm wrong most of the time myself... just ask the wife, she'll tell you. Any day with a 'y' in it she tells me..

Looking spiffy with those Polo's I bet. Wearing one to the doctor for your check up?

(its the fatherly thing coming in out in me Johnny)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:51 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience :(

You sound like a decent and sensitive bloke so try not to worry too much about how the interview went.

Only you can decide whether or not to take this Job on. However, no one would blame you if you turned it down given the way you were treated at the interview.

Why don't you follow up the calls you have already made with a letter or CV. Many people will keep a CV on file and you never know when someone might be looking to take someone else on.

One other thing - Your potential employer may well read this thread so tread warily :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Stuart,
In September I got a "real" job cuz my sign business was so slow.
It was quite humbling for me (still is) to be treated as if I were some stupid teenager at the tender age of 43, having run my own biz for 20 years. I am now head cashier at a hardware store 35 hours a week.

It still angers me at times, when I get blamed for something that was not my fault, or when a manager has a crossways ( PARDON ME ) and hollers at me. I make as much money there in two weeks as I'd get from one good 4x8 sign, too.

But I swallow my pride, show up on time, be polite and try not to be too cocky (unless someone wearing a shirt with all-caps Brush Script comes through my line) and work to the best of my abilities.

I have never been good at being "kidded" or teased, the victim of too many older siblings, and no I am not good at taking a joke. But the comments from your potential employer were not funny in any way.

Work is hard to find. I have never been able to get a job with another sign biz, as they are mostly all single owners like me, or have family employees.

Your potential employer (to me) came off as VERY unprofessional in his attitude. He may have been impressed with your knowledge and was trying to intimidate you to take a lower wage. He may have seen something of himself at 24 in your attitude. Perhaps you were a better fitter than he is.

Even if sign jobs are hard to find, I think I would reconsider his offer. Even if you take it and go balls-out as a worker, he sounds unlikely to appreciate you. I wouldn't anger him, since he supposedly holds so much weight in the sign trade there, but I would look elsewhere.

In case you are out looking, make sure you are polite, neatly dressed, say "yes sir" or "no ma'am", don't stink like cigarettes or last night's gin, are not full of piercings, shine your shoes, brush your teeth.
You wouldn't believe the folks I see at this job seeking employment, some look as if they've slept in a wheelie bin.

Good luck to you, you sound like a nice kid. Love.....Jill
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:39 pm

If you were cocky and exremely rude and he thouhgt you were that bad why did he keep you there for so long and offer you the job .... you cant be that bad eh!! :wink:

In my opinion, an employer should set a good example to staff and anyone looking to join the business. Its not big, its not clever and its certainly not manners or common human deceny to try to intimidate and put down someone they feel they are more superior too. Too much arrogance is not a good quality and you can bet your life that no one has any respect for a person like that ... they probably feel that people do .... but they dont. To go as far as to openly admit they are an assh0le seems a feeble way of trying make out its acceptable and ok to do it!! I believe in firm and fair .... and I have had some great employers that have been like this, they are very good people to work for, pleasant atmosphere but dont let you grab an inch let alone a mile ... kind of like your school teacher in a weird way .... someone you actually have respect for. Some people cannot get past their own ego to see the difference between firm and fair and being a complete tw@t.

I had it done to me in an interview once, but I was a lot younger and a lot more niave and I wanted to prove I could do the job, so I took it ...... a few weeks later I made the best descision ..... and I politely told them where to stick their job and gave the reasons why I no longer wanted to be employed there.

A job should feel right from the off set, you should feel happy and comfortable with the people you need to work with ...... negative attitudes do not create good business in my opinion .... unhappy or intimidated staff dont work to their best abilities and can you imagine how you would feel every morning to wake up each day to go there if you are already feeling like this.

Im stepping off the soap box now ..... sorry Im having a rant but its because I had it done to me and looking back it annoys the hell out of me, so I know exactly how you are feeling ... you are probably doubting everything you have learnt and achieved over the past couple of years, wondering if you really are a complete idiot and do most people think that, are you in the right area of work or have you made a big mistake and taken the wrong path etc etc, it really can knock you .... but tomorrow is another day and you will see the bright side again :lol1:

Do what you know feels the right thing to do Stuart!! :D Whats meant to be will be and things happen for a reason.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:07 pm

If he is that BIG in Scotland his head is probably up someone elses Ar$e.....

Personally I would decline the offer & not dwell on it. Take from it the positive points you have maybe come aware of. Ask more questions here and maybe even look for work through here.

Good luck !!!
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:38 pm

thank you all very much for you help and support. it makes me smile a bit when you hear it :D

yesterday i was a mess, and if it hadn't been for my brilliant partner holz a dunno what a would have done.. took my mood out on her and it wasnt fair to her.so betta make it up :cool: :o :lol1: :lol1:

is there somewhere on hear i could poss place and advert for employment? i know theres a bit in the other section but i cant afford to become a ful member just at the moment..

who knows what will happen .. all i know is im seriously thinking about not taking this job,
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:45 pm

All I can say is as has been said it's experience for you you already know how to apply just need to learn the way to lay out on vans etc which shouldn't take you to long and in my experience its easier to find another job when you have a job already.
As for gettin peoples back up or being ridiculed if your 6 feet 2 and weigh 220 lbs easily enough sorted I would say if you are five foot fu?k all and are as fat as a zip then you might struggle.
As long as you make more than you do on the barroo is what I would look at myself.

Goop
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:24 pm

Stuart,

I am going to disagree with most on here. Unless you have another alternative job to go to right now, and despite everything that he has said during the interview, I would go for it and try it out. You have nothing to lose by giving it a month - by which time you will have a proper idea of what he and the company is really like. You could leave after this time and your CV wont be affected.

He may not be such an ar$ehole as he makes himself out to be - in which case it will be a pleasant surprise.

Whatever you do good luck.

Martin

p.s. Why dont you google his name and company and see if anything untoward comes up or see if you can have an off the record chat with some of the regular Scottish bods on here who are more likely to what the company is really like.

p.p.s. that doesn't mean you have to put up with any sh!t if you do take it...
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Why are you worrying about him being a big wig in the sign industry ?

He openly admits he`s a A**hole so no doubt everybody who knows him thinks the same !!

Open your eyes and take a look at the world it is a big place. I have started three Businesses in the Last five years from scratch. Belive me you can do anything if you really want to.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Stuart

Is this guy really a big man in Scotland's sign industry or does he just like to think that he is? Regardless of the case, it's a crap way to treat someone. Hope something better turns up.

Dawn
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:26 pm

well after a long hard look on the net i have sent out a further 25 CV's to companys in scotland, so if i have already contacted you , sorrry...... :cool:

i lost the details of who i contacted before xmas..

thank you all again for your help..

stuart
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:41 pm

youve done your self a great favour Stuart ...by travelling down the A9 back home ...beleive me dont belive everything these people tell you ...there a sham. I work in the same town as these people and youd feel you need a shower every five minutes !!

All the best stuart whatever you choose to do
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:28 pm

:P :P :P
thats one way of describing it a guess

:2thumbs:

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat