Categories
  • TIMELINE

Rules of the Game

<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:03 pm

Rules of the Game

I'm just about to buy a van and I've been working on some ideas for wrapping it in all sorts of weird and wonderful bits of vinyl. Aside from my dubious taste, I'm after a spot of advice on the legality of what I'm about to do.

I'd like to wrap the main part of the van in multiple colours, then colour the bumpers and trim in a colour different to that of the original van. Currently the van is white, but I doubt there will be a single bit of white left by the time I finish. What the devil do I say to the DVLA?

I know that wraps are classed as a temporary covering to the vehicle and can be removed at any time, but if I do this and get pulled over by PC Plod, what do I say/do? And if I'm in an accident (which anyone who's seen my driving will know is inevitable :oops: ) am I still covered by my insurance?

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Phil Halling

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:51 pm

As I understand it you can wrap a vehicle for up twelve months without having to notify the dvla. However I'm no legal expert - I've just picked this up on the way.
<<

Alan

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:58 pm

Re: Rules of the Game

Dewi wrote:And if I'm in an accident (which anyone who's seen my driving will know is inevitable :oops: )
Cheers, Dewi

I think your best bet is to cover it in 3 or 4 layers of sandblast mask at least it'll cushion the blow :lol1: :lol1:

Alan
<<

Lee Ballard

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:52 pm

All the firm I work for's Transits are fully wrapped(apart from the roofs where no-one can apparently see) but on the reg doc they still sy white and as there are 40 vans driven by muppets there is approx one accident per week and they never get any problems.

Lee
<<

John Singh

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:30 pm

Surely it has to do with the paint finish which is of a more permanent nature than wrap which is only cosmetic

e.g. if you were to sell the vehicle you would automatically take the wrap off ............Unless the geezer wants your van purely because of the graphics :lol1:
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:28 pm

The van I thought was white turned out to be grey :lol1: Minor miscommunication, but the van is cool :D Huge thank you to Pete (Magpie)! And yep, we got home in one piece :D Possibly because I wasn't driving :roll:

Thank you for the responses though, I feel a bit more confident about splashing some vinyl about the new bus, I've got a few bizarre ideas, but the finished article will probably be dictated more by time than anything else, things are still quite hectic at the moment.

Ideas so far have ranged from a purple cow (quickly disgarded), a replica A Team van, snakeskin and my personal favourite, camouflage pattern, help it blend in a little with the surroundings :D If it was legal, I'd have wrapped it in chrome, but its not so I can't :cry: As soon as I've got some designs down on paper, well onscreen, but you know what I mean... I'll post them up... at least it should raise a smile or two :D

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Marekdlux

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:43 pm

I always wanted the "Mystery Machine" from Scooby Doo.

I'm not sure if the picture was posted on here, but I have seen it at various other sites. There is a plumbers truck and under the front drivers window there is a graphic of a guy sitting on a toilet so when you look at it when someone is driving it looks like they are sitting on the pot.

You could always just put a big picture of your face on the side, that would definately draw some attention.
-Marek
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:20 pm

I want to attract custom Marek, not scare them away :lol1:

Who did that plumber van? I'd love to see more of their work, it was a really cool idea! :D

Alot of the ideas I've been playing with involve quite alot of laying out, mainly because I'd rather the van be an example of the weirdest, wackiest that I can do with a small mention of my contact details, well, my idea of small is quite large, but you know what I mean :lol1: I've just seen a cool tiger stripe one, but I'd never be able to look Lee Harris in the eye again :roll: :lol1:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Marekdlux

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:27 pm

Here it is:
-Marek

I typed "Plumbing Truck" in google image search and a lot of these came up. This guy has gotten so much free publicity from this truck.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat