my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Making Number Plates Advice Please

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue May 31, 2005 9:08 pm

Making Number Plates Advice Please

Can anyone help me with some advice on producing plates with the LG system? Every plate seems to have bubbles and popping them just leaves a mark under the surface, heres what i'm doing,

Produce the reversed film on the Laser
Lay the film on the LG Jig
Apply the glue faced plate to the film, along the metal pins first then laying the whole thing on top
Last pass the whole thing throught the roller, face down.

Is it just me?!!! :evil:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue May 31, 2005 11:02 pm

Don't use the jig to line it up with. do that by eye with the blank on top, use a liitle bit of pressure first to juust lay the acetate onto the blank, then once on right run through again with more pressure.

trim up all done.

i found the jig itself pulled the plates through skewif if u havn't got the pressures bang on, so i just eye it up and use light pressure for the first run. if it goes a tad off u can normaly then pull it off and try again, once u get the nack it's easy.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:31 am

Found the best way is :

Print graphic
trim off 10mm of protective film from back plate
lay back plate in jig or t square with exposed 10mm sticky at right hand end.
align graphic at left hand side making sure it's square
stick graphic to exposed 10mm right hand side
Then trap "stuck" end into roller - 6mm letting graphic fall loose
roll thru roller whilst slowly removing remaining protective cover
Job done.

Paul
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:52 am

how are everyone finding the oki, i`ve just bought one, but not had chance to use it.

i can see it has a downfall, not being able to print white.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:58 pm

any one know where to get number plate blanks from
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:35 pm

I use a company called Autoxtra, 0141-776-4848,
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:56 pm

don't know about the printer you are using but i print on to clear vinyl with PC60 then rob will hate me but i use app fluid to stick to white or yellow reflective then wet again for face ,no bubbles just needs to dry out
rich
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:29 pm

I was having problems getting my number plates right for ages and ages, but while I was at Nigel's place (Creative Sign) he showed me a method of applying the backing to the acrylic that I've used ever since. You don't get bubbles or streaky marks, its cool :D

Basically the same as Paul's method, but you lay the backing with your numbers onto the bench, hover over with the acrylic and tack it loosely in place. Pick up the acrylic and rub one end to stick it down, they rip the rest off thats tacked loosely. Then roll it through the rollers and Bob's your friggin Uncle, its done :D

Really appreciated Nigel showing me that though, I'd still have been having problems galore if it wasn't for that.

Cheers, Dewi
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:31 pm

:cool: Thanks for your advice all, i'll give these methods a go and let you know how i get on.....
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:33 pm

becky wrote:how are everyone finding the oki, i`ve just bought one, but not had chance to use it.

i can see it has a downfall, not being able to print white.

As a Laser printer it's very fast compared to my on Minolta 2400, i'm quite impressed with the print quality, has a professional glossy look to it
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:17 pm

Tried Paul's method and worked bang om, not one bubble,

cheers all for your advice :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:04 am

Dewi, you should try using a jig, that way you can't make a mistake as you can when you do it by eye, I made a jig up which just consists of a piece of plywood big enough to fit any size plate with two pieces of inch right angle aluminium at right angles fitted to board. Place reflective on board against aluminium angle, place acrylic against edge of aluminium angle and drop into place. Then put through roller like you do. Its basically the same way you do them but this way I can't make any mistakes which I did ocassionally before, normally when I was rushing to much.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:15 am

I have an Oki printer and I'm interested in making number plates. Do I need the lgsigns system and materials, or can I produce the layout in CorelDraw, for example, and use a Darvic type backing plate. If so, do I need any particular white and yellow reflective, and clear film to reverse print the registration.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Danny
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:43 pm

Danny
u can produce the plate in Corel, set some presets in the printer screen, size-mirror etc saves remembering every time. in the oki preferences do the same print to transparency and plate size & save as preferance. with the oki you print to a transparent film and mount to a solid reflective backing to make them legal you need to use approved BSI parts. Try Paul at Automarque link on front page

Kev
Uksigns & Signwear
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:25 pm

On the subject of backing plates, does anyone have a better supplier of the plates with adhesive film on the face such as the lg ones, they seem pretty expensive from them?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Try Paul at Automargue, link on front page

Kev
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:46 am

I use Tennants UK. They do all types.

Tel: 0115-973-8080.

Mark
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:28 pm

i believe that tennants hold the rights to the system and plates etc

so all plates for the oki, should come via tennents.

although you could use a combination of sticky reflectives and sticky clear plates to get the same result at lower prices, all be it slightly long winded.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:11 pm

Becky. although TENNANTS originated the system, we along with a couple of other companies have been appointed uk distributors..so it is not a SOLE SUPPLY - ONE STOP SHOP.

Cheers

Paul
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:52 pm

yes, sorry, badley phrased.

i do relise there are other distributers. i get mine from europlate.

cheers.

ps. i first saw the oki demo`d at sign uk. the salesman who demo`d it said the life span of the images were very long lasting. infact i think 10 years was mentioned.

i saw a plate at a car show the other week, it had only been on the car 12 months and was already fading badly....
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:21 pm

I was told they should last 3 yrs Becky

I have seen and done rear plates that havn't lasted 3 months before the reflective starts to peel off :evil:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:57 pm

That concerns me.... especially since i've just invested a ton of money in stock. Has anyone else had this problem or took it up with LG/Tennants?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:01 am

Just another one on platemaking .....

I've been told that a certain piece of software logs every thing you do without you knowing or without your consent, how would you feel about that? Being IT driven i'd consider it spyware....
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:51 pm

yep, my plate making software logs all numberplate reg`s made.

you can delete the program and re-install to clear the numbers logged.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:29 pm

Also logs all signs, 'show signs' and anything else made..... not got anything to hide but i find that kind of spyware 'wrong'.......

So many ways to circumnavigate it tho, it's less than secure.......
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:59 am

i use corel with the LG system , no no spy probs...

as for lg system not lasting , that could be a problem....

i'll watch out for that , fitted one on the wifes car about a month ago , so i'll keep an eye on it....

may have to revert to vinyl for anybody that comes back...

SD
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:15 pm

I might ask LG for comments about this when i next need to order
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:31 pm

lgsigns

can you tell me what will happen to my software after the 12 months are up.

will i have to pay another fee to activate it or will it never run out?

i believe in the instruction book, it depends upon how much consumables you have used?

I have asked my supplier this and they can`t give me an answer.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:20 am

bump.

still waiting for an answer.........
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:28 am

hi , i don't actually use there software , just there plastics and film....along with an oki printer , i have set myself a template in corel for the artwork design etc

steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:09 pm

we also use corel too.

the LG software is a very quick way of doing things.

the software also keeps records of all the plates you have made along with the relivent info required to make plates that are legal for road use.

I just really wanted a comment on the software situation. i was never told i would have to pay £400 per year, if that is the case.

has anyone had their oki and the lg software for more than a year? perhaps they could shed some light on the question.

or perhaps paul from automarquee could enlighten us! as he sells the oki.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Does anyone have an answer to this, as i am investing in one of these next week?

thanks
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 pm

If you mean the answer to what Becky is asking the answer is NO you
do not have to pay each year, I was with a Tennants agent today I remembered Becky's question and asked him. he explained after a year you ring up for a new activation number, or something along those lines, but no further payment is involved.

Hope this helps

Martin
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:33 am

Yes Martin, that was the answer i was looking for.

Thanks

Matt
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I`m sure I read that the software was free if you used a certain amount of materials.

if you fell short, you paid a certain amount depending upon how short you fell.

But you are still at the mercy of the supplier giving you the code.............what happens if you fall out with the supplier? This means the supplier has you over a barrel, you daren`t fall out with them in case they don`t give you the codde.

why have the software only last 12 months??????

If they just give you the code free of charge, why not make the software everlasting in the first place???

sorry, but it stinks a bit of fish.......................
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:16 pm

Becky
i think you'll find it is done to stop the software being shared and also that people don't get the software that LG has invested in and then purchase blanks from another supplier. It is just the same as our copyright issues with our customers. By requiring the issue of yearly codes they can control who is using the software and stop it getting into the hands of people who are not registered number plate suppliers.

Kev
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:36 pm

quite agree-

but they could have given you a code thats only suitable to your computer. (like vmp used to be, or use a dongle) I also paid a £100 extra to have the software installed on another laptop too.

i bought my oki from someone else, and i get my blanks from the same supplier too. ( well, just the clear transparacies)

who advised using the 3 part system over the 2 part.

to

a. get a better looking plate (oki plates seem to come out like a banana)
b. save money.

looking back, the software is a quick way to getting the job done. Thats why i wanted it.

if you are still set on having one, I`d opt to use corel to run it.

it will be interesting when my 12 months are up, to see what happens.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Becky
whats the 3 part system & who supplies it. I use corel just made several templates for different plates works fine.

Kev
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:37 pm

instead of printing onto the transparence and the placing onto the coloured plate.

print as normal, apply to a clear adshieve plate, and then to a adshieve reflective backing.

you use 3 items in the manufacture as appossed to the 2.

takes a while longer, but costs are reduced and the plate looks better (in my opinion
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:55 am

becky sounds a good way to do things do you cut the letters out of vinyl or print?.... just out of interest how do you get around printing white on rear plates with an oki printer for images etc ? i have heard that this cannot be done.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:10 am

we use the oki for the numbers and the ghosting. side images we use the gerber or the cadet, but it does depend on the image.

the oki cannot print white and the print is very transparent, ok for the front plate, but because the rear is yellow, images are darker and colours will change.

you can get plates with a white bit printed on them, but these hardley ever line up.

don`t get me wrong, it is a useful machine, but its not the be all and end all like folk make it out to be. it has its limitations, due to the print being very transparent.

as long as you tell the customer that the rear images might be different to the front, you should be covered.

when i had a demo not once was a rear plate made, only the front, no info of the rear plate changing colours was ever put forward. only when i asked about the colours changing was info given.

its useful for printing ghosting images and thats what we use it for.

like everything else thats cheap to buy, loads of folk have one, they all have the same images on a cd, end user prices for full colour plates have fallen out the sky.
folk selling them for £10 a pair, £5 for a bike plate (inc p&p)busy fools if you ask me. try to find something what noone else is using it for, or images that no one else has, that way you can charge a bit more.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:45 am

very good reply Becky.. Do tennants supply the plates with the white insert??

thanks
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am

I have the oki system , and find it very quick and simple....

for white badge areas on yellow plates i apply white vinyl , none sticky side down , so the surface of my plate is still sticky all over , works a treat as long as you design your printed acrylic around it...

i dont use jigs for lining up etc
i remove all the backing
align by eye , placing gently onto stick plate
rub a line down the short middle
place hard rubber hand roller on the rubbed center point
re lift one side of the acrylic
roll down to the outside edge as i re-lay the acrylic
repeat for the other half
this then goes through an old large washing mangle (loads of pressure on the old ones (got it off ebay , postage was more than the mangle itself) the pressure is that high i can hardly get the handle turning to start with!!

sorted

i'm not saying mine is the best , but it works for me after loads of faffing about......

first job i did was my car and the wifes , so i could see what happened to them long term , was worried that bubbles may appear over time , i see so many 20k+ - 6 month old cars driving round with bubbled number plates , i'm sure this happens after they have bought the car......but i can safely say , my plates will be good enough for any car SO FAR , 10 months on , and no change in looks......

sd
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:35 pm

of course its the uv which fade the plates, so it does depend where you park it etc.

we bought a batch of backings with boarders already printed on them.

made 1 for a trailer, which is parked outside, and the red border has now vanished, plate was 6 months ago, so no system is fool proof.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:52 pm

steve, what size piece of white vinyl do you use on the plate. ? Becky what was the supplier of the plates ready done with the white insert

thanks
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:51 pm

matt

i would have thought anyone who sells the oki, will stock them

tennents
automarquee - front page
europlate
etc.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:29 pm

thanks becki, its just i never saw any on the tennants website or in there stock book. Will have a look at the other sites you mention
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:59 pm

well had my oki from tennants and am impressed apart from the issue of not printing white... i will work around that... One thing that i am not happy with is that the sales guy Alex told me i would get all the logo's, pictures and fonts etc free of charge, now when i have come to produce a picture plate of Rangers football club i couldnt find it on my hard drive so i decided to call tennants only to be told that i have to purchase them seperately at a cost of £5.00 each and there are 70 in total which is £350.00 and when you are starting out is alot of money.. :( anyone know if these can pe purchased anywhere else for less? the picures are like the image below without the website text at the bottom

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:57 pm

You can get most if not all football club badges from the Instant Graphics disc sold by Brian Hays of Impact. You would then have to make the rest of the artwork up youreslf.

There is a link on the hompepage.

Andy :cool:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:13 pm

thanks for the pointer Andy

matt
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:00 pm

I should point out that the stoke city and britannia logos are copyright, just because the are on a disc, it does not give you the right to use them.

Just thought it worth a mention as we are discussing file sharing and copyright in another topic

Peter
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:01 am

Interesting Peter i shall try and find the other topic, so in theory just because they sell the image to you it doesnt give you the right to resell
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Matt

I did not say you would get all of the logos free. What i meant was that you will get around 2000 images foc like the football clubs and car badges. The fonts you get work of Microsoft word and the picture plates never come part of the package i show that as an example of what you can accomplish. What i may of said is that i could of got a couple of the picture plates foc to get started. Sorry for the confusion. If you weren't happy you should of rang me and i could of sorted it all out for you.

Thanks
Alex
Tennants
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:43 pm

Alex i am impressed with your company as a whole, but i beg to differ on the point about what i was told, obviously you are a sales person and would word things differently to suit yourself to grab a sale, but that was the impression i was left with, as i did not know about the exta purchases until Alasdair informed me and i have the emails infront of me.

To be honest i am not bothered about purchasing picture plates as the people in general in your company are very helpful and bend over backwards to help you with any problems you encounter which Matt has no end, and like i say i am more than impressed with the oki machine and your service as a company
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:48 pm

Thanks for that Matt but i feel bad for misleading you so what il do is send out 10 football picture plates to kind of make up for it. I will send the most popular premership sides and stoke city. You should recieve it sometime next week

Thanks
Alex
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Alex thanks for the kind offer and as i said i am more than happy with your company

Matt
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:23 pm

becky wrote:
who advised using the 3 part system over the 2 part.

to

a. get a better looking plate (oki plates seem to come out like a banana)
b. save money.

looking back, the software is a quick way to getting the job done. Thats why i wanted it.

sorry to bounce this old thread...! now, i know about the 3 part system, and suppliers show the 3 part system parts in the standard plate sizes only. Any idea if the 3 part system parts are available in other sizes?

thanks

Return to Neon, LED, Lighting