• TIMELINE

Secabo/Dingtech 1220 Cutters

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:22 pm

Secabo/Dingtech 1220 Cutters

Hi again,

Thank you all for your kind welcome, I thought I would ask your opinions on this:-

We are looking at purchasing a new Vinyl Cutter, and have come across the "Dingtech" vinyl cutters (loads on ebay), which seem to be at a reasonable cost.

We have a budget of £ 1,500.00 (We have a limited budget), Our current vinyl cutter is a Secabo C40 (380 wides) which we have out-grown.

The Secabo cutter seems to be the same cutter as the Dingtech, but re-branded.

We have been using Artcut, which is OK, I have tried to look at upgrading to better software such as Flexi Sign, but have found that they do not support the Secabo cutters. Does anyone know if you can import Artcut files into flexisign?

I am considering buying the Secabo C120, has anyone had experience with this model of cutter.

Look forward to receiving your opinions

Thanks

Silvio

Sorry for the long speech, just wanted to provide you with as much info as possible.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:29 pm

You can probably run the machines from Flexi using one of Flexi's HPGL drivers. I know you can run the P-Cut machines from Signlab using aHPGL driver.

Most cutters speak a version of HPGL :)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:33 pm

Hi Silvio

No experience with these plotters

I was just wondering though, you said you wanted to upgrade your software but the plotter brand would not allow you to.

You may have reached a crossroads here, where you either stick with the plotter brand and tie yourself up with a particular limited software or...... or you look for another plotter that will allow the more sophisticated software.

Its seems you are in a position to purchase a new plotter albeit with a limited budget. Might be better plodding on with what you've got till you have the funds to get a decent plotter

Although as I say I can't really comment on the plotter you are talking about

John
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:56 pm

Thanks for the advise,

Hi John,

the reason why I am looking to upgrade, is that we are being approached by our clients for larger decals, which we will struggle with our 380mm cutter, was this would mean we would have to butt joint the vinyl in order to make the large decal

We have been approached by two clients now who want us to produce a large logo on the side of their vans, which we will struggle to do with our small cutter. We seem to be getting alot of requests lately for large decals. That is why we are considering taking the plunge at this time.

The ArtCUT software is OK, not brilliant, but I have slowly got use to it, the import facility is very poor.

All the best

Silvio
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:40 pm

the secabo will run vinylmaster pro, I tried demo version but it took me a few hours messing about, it didnt like the serial connection but ran via parallel as `unlisted hpgl` or `custom hpgl`, you are right about artcut, I wouldnt have thought it was much use for you professional chaps :)
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:06 pm

Hi All

I have been reluctant to jump in for fear of showing bias, but this is another post that leads me to believe that the current impression is that it is not possible to get a decent cutter on a budget of £1500. All of the major manufacturers, Graphtec, Roland, Suma and GCC all produce cutters for less than £1500.

For example, we at Graphtec do a 610mm plotter from £1,295. I am not saying that you should buy from us, but make sure you buy from a reputable supplier who will give you the backup and support.

You can do it on your budget :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Well there you go
So you can think about a decent plotter with your budget!

I happen to have the 610 Graphtec and am very pleased with it
Plotters have come down dramatically in price

It would be nice one day to see the digital printers come down a bit

we live in hope :D

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:37 pm

Philk although a supplier is 100% right [in my opinion]

but go that wee bit extra buy a 1200-1300mm plotter 2K'ish you'll get your return in a couple of months.....

Andrew :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:25 am

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated. I will check out graphtec's website to see whats on the market

Thanks

Silvio
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:53 am

In the mean Silvio if you have butt joint be careful
Looks perfect on the day but in time there will be shrinkage of vinyl but the adhesive will stay put.

Which means dirt getting stuck to it.

Overlaying just a tad does the trick as vinyl sticks well on vinyl (of course there will be a little ridge but it will be better than shrinkage)

John
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue May 03, 2005 10:27 am

Can someone recommend a descent 1200mm min vinyl cutter, I do not want to spend more than 2K at this stage.

I am aware there are a few cutters out there, but there is nothing like experience to tell you which machine is better.

Return to General Cutter topics