my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Is this a type of fluorescent vinyl?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Is this a type of fluorescent vinyl?

here goes again asked to quote for tractor units as in pics?

noticed when i got home the pics with flash came out fluorescent
but look like ordinary vinyl (what is it)
not much text etc on them small block with text at front and both sides
also tel no top front and top sides
what would be the best way to price this
Attachments
Img_0021.jpg
Img_0020.jpg
<<

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:54 pm

its all done in reflective vinyl mate, not flourescent.
you will look to pay about £7-£10 a metre for the stuff.
most good vinyl suppliers offer it, but comes in limited colours. mostly primary colours black and white.

be sure to do a test cut on the vinyl as its thicker and isnt a nice material to cut. never run the whole job then weed, do it as you go along, sometimes parts dont weed as they shouldnt.

be careful when fitting, some grades of this vinyl is worse than others.
NIGHTMARE TO REMOVE!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:11 pm

reflective

thanks for the quick reply rob
i have some stuff. swatches etc on fluorecsent but nothing on reflective
i use amari or pyramid up here any one else you can think of to supply
reflective
once again the boards have saved me dosh
can you imagine if i had priced say 5 trucks thinking it was ordinary vinyl
cheers again
dex
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:17 pm

Hi Dex,

I'm with Rob, just one thought.. we have a regular customer who uses quite a lot of reflective, as we then have to remove it in two years when the contract hire ends we put the reflective over the top of white plain vinyl. Ergo.. when we remove it its a piece of cake and pays back the minimal cost of the vinyl many times over!

Also take into consideration your blade costs.. we have a Mutoh 650 that is permanently cutting reflective eats at least a blade a week!

As Rob said weeding is a nightmare takes at least 5 times longer depending on the size of the characters.

Regards,

Johnboy :cool:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:25 pm

Hi Dex,

Just seen your reply. I don't know if you have much experience with reflectives, but you only need ENGINEERING GRADE VINYL, this is considerably cheaper than Grade 1,2 or 3 commonly used for emergency services etc. we find the cheapest at the moment is Lucky Lite from Cherwell or Vinyl Logistics, but its up and down like a yo-yo.

Regards,

<<

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:33 pm

here is a couple of links to the same demo i did using reflective. i used nikalite but have also used luckylite as john has advised. if the luckylite is the same foilbacked type reflective that is difficult to tear, then i give it the thumbs up, reason i am unsure is i always get the names mixed up.

anyway, as you will see in this demo the nikalite conforms well.
again as john has said applying ontop of normal vinyl helps if the need to remove comes about. in the following demo its applied onto the yellow so no worries there.

https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=2164
https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=2165

the thing about nikalite is that the NEW version of this reflective strips pretty easily with a heat gun... it does leave alot of glue though but thats not as much hassle as some other reflectives are to remove. they snap off in tiny little bits and leave glue too...
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:39 pm

Hi Rob,

Yes Lucky Lite is foil backed horrible hateful stuff to strip :banghead: !!

who makes nikalite Rob? always interested in easing pain!

<<

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:55 pm

nikalite is on sale from europoint but i dont think oracal make it? :-?
got me thinking there :lol1: if i find out ill come back to you john...

p.s. just got email john, will try replying later :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:57 pm

reflective

thanks guys i shall take it all on board
cheers
dex
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:10 pm

jUST SEEN THE INFO ON THE REFLECTIVE VINYL, DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE I MADE AND PUT REFLECTIVE ON THE BACK OF MY VAN, THIS IVE BEEN TOLD IS AGAINST THE LAW UNLESS IT IS RED IN COLOUR, HOPE THIS HELPS.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:20 pm

reflective

good point cat
i have just recieved brochure from amari for the maclite 5700 range works out at around £7 a metre
does this sound about right
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Dex - i would have thought these truck graphics were illegal - ie red reflective facing forward when it should only be used on the rear, Gig G would know for sure

Cat I would have thought colours ok on rear, but not white

John :-?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:41 pm

The law says no red to front and no white to rear there is no mention of other colours. But I have a customer who insists on red and white chevrons on the back of his vans all done in reflective, not reflective red and non reflective yellow as its meant to be.
He does work all over the UK and works closely with a lot of police forces and it hasent been mentioned once, work that one out?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:43 pm

THANKS FOR REPLYING GUYS IVE LEFT MY REFLECTIVE ON THE BACK OF MY VAN, IF I GET PULLED BY THE POLICE I CAN ONLY TELL THEM I WILL REMOVE IT, BY THE WAY THE REFLECTIVE IS WHITE.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Interesting law

Not familiar with any law governing the use of reflective vinyl except the law governing vehicles over 7.5 tonne that travel to the EC (these must have red diamond reflective round the perimeter of the back of the vehicle)

We have white reflective all the way round our van highlighting the text. We do all Fife Police work and it has been commented on how well our text sticks out.

I may be mistaken but I think people are getting confused with the allowed colours of lenses and bulbs for lights on a vehicle as opposed to colurs of vinyl.

REgards Adrian
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Dex about £7.00 a mtr sounds about right my van should have been £130.00 for all the text, but i managed to get it for £80.00.I need to show you a picture when i find out how to download one. :roll:
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:56 pm

Adrien, if Fife police are not going to say anything then i carnt see why Staffordshire police should. :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:19 pm

Adrian

I may be mistaken but I think people are getting confused with the allowed colours of lenses and bulbs for lights on a vehicle as opposed to colurs of vinyl.

I think thats is the reason its illegal so the reflection isnt confused with the standard lamp colours otherwise someone may think the vehicle is travelling in a different direction

I guess we will know when BIg G comes back from his extended easter break :D

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:41 pm

reflective

i just spoke to the guy who owns the trucks he is aware of the legality of the red on the front etc but has never had any problems
i priced it up at £120 not much profit in it but it is an open door
if it goes OK he has promised me other work as well as intros to other business mates i can also do the trucks in a large garage he has the use of
load up your pics cat would love to see them
still looking for outline of the truck (man18.224FK ng2012 & ng2012ta)
that's what it said on the brochure
i have Mr clip art vehicle outlines but cant find it so i have e mailed them
fingers crossed i have the brochure so might try and post some pics
of the design see what you all think
i know in the past people have posted what i thought were great designs
but with a few tweaks and suggestions here and there
ended up great
cheers dex
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:16 pm

Hi Dex et al.

My brother John has asked me to give some input here that may be of assistance as I answered this question for him years ago!

Essentially the use of reflective and reflexive material usage on road going motor vehicles is covered by the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (the full text is attached for those who are interested).

There is a lot of misunderstanding in the use of reflective materials on vehicles. However, to clear this up the following can be said:

The use of any colour reflective vehicle on a vehicle front,side or rear is legal. However, some forces and Staffordshire is not one, have taken the view that currently available "high quality" reflectives can be construed as being as bright as a lamp.

That being said, the view of any particular Chief Constable is not law, however, they do control "force orders" within their force and as such can cause you to be stopped and "inconvenienced" as an effective tool to remove the reflectives.

For those who would be interested I have given John the full text and I understand he is making it available to you should you want to print it and keep it handy for reference.

Yours

Breaking the habit of a life time and giving free legal advice - Stan

So there you have it guys & gals from the horses mouth! hope it helps, listen to this guy he advises Police forces and has a seat on ACPO (T). and charges £250 an hour!! shame he got the brains!

Ooops!
he sent quite a few items over in the email i could only open one and this one is it, i have sent Stan an email to resend the other bits as soon as he does i will post them.
Attachments
Reflective Material.doc
(33.5 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:32 am

reflective

morning all
next question
when fitting this reflective would you advise doing it wet as it has been mentioned it sticks like s*** to a blanket also i have to overlay white onto blue etc if so whats the best stuff i have used water washing up liquid and isopropanol as a solution whats the best ratio for the mix
cheers dex
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:46 am

Reflective

We never fit any kind of reflective directly to any vehicle. We always fit relective onto another vinyl first. If you make a mistake with the design or customer wants something changed or you have to redo the van at a later stage it is a f896ing nightmare. You can damage the van take off the paint knacker your fingers.

If its Diamond reflective we only fit strips as its a b8gger to cut as well and can tear

Charge a lot as it will casue you grief

Regards Adrian
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:42 pm

Hi Dex,

Adrian is bang on!

1). Always apply onto standard vinyl.
2). Multiply by 5 your weeding/layup cost.
3). Normal "wet water" works fine.
4). Be very careful if you have double curves to contend with as most EG reflective conforms like a pig!
5). Be careful rubbing down it is very easy to scratch.

Lastly I don't know if the prices are much different where you are but reflective work we find is quite profitable once you "get into it" as they say. Also the price you posted if that's for just a few meters is fine but much better is available once you get going, maybe Rob could comment on UKSG prices here.

Regards,

<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:04 pm

Re the legality

As far as I'm aware the hi-vis type reflectives i.e scotch-bright etc are classed as a light source and it is "advised" that red is not used on the front or sides and that white is not used on the back. However vehicle liveries are taken into account some were.

This isn't law in the UK yet but is a EU directive and is due to become law sometime.

Just look at the RAC vans with their white reflective stripes on the rear quarter, they'll come off as soon as it becomes law I think.

I'll try to dig out the regs that I found, was in among a load of other EU stuff on the web on the EU site.

Steve
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:26 pm

Here's the EU regs

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp ... 1-120.html

104 you need.

Steve
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 pm

Johnboy,thanks for taking the time to sort this out, nice one.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:37 am

Banning reflective

If they are going to ban reflective white that reflects on oncoming vehicles. Surely then there is going to be a serious problem replacing every single warning sign in the UK as they all use class 2 reflective.

Can I put my name in for the contract tee hee hee :lol1:
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:01 pm

Good point signco, :roll:

Return to Vinyl