my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Another "hello" from the states...

<<

Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:57 am

Another "hello" from the states...

Hello from Florida. I'm a freelance graphic designer with a Mac. Before anybody takes a swing at me, you should know that I was a custom signmaker for 13 years prior.

I hope to learn some new stuff from you folks, and maybe add a post here from time to time.

(By the way, the UKSG board was mentioned on the letterhead.com forum today, so you'll likely be seeing a few of us popping in here over the next few days.)
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:00 am

Hidy Ho Don
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:51 am

Welcome to the boards Don from sunny Florida i operate eight Apple Macs and produce all types of signage for Expo and conferences you will learn a lot from this lot on UKSG
regards Steve Brear Signagraphic West Yorks UK
<<

Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:36 am

hi don welcome to the uk sign boards...
feel free to get stuck in and have some fun...

if you or any of the other new comers would like your picture with your posts & are not sure how to do it.. just send me a copy and ill crop and chop it to size and load it for you... its the least i can do for you & the others starting to participate on my site. :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:47 pm

Hi Don!

Followed the link to your web-site and ...wow!

Would love to to show how you go about creating some of your special texts like the 'Signs for Judy' lettering. Do you customise a std font or do you design texts from scratch?

...and I'm presuming that 883 is all vector...looks like a bloomin photo!...

...and what's the goose made from and did you work from an existing piccie or, again, did you create it from zilch?!

...so many questions, so little time...fabulous work!

more soon
<<

Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:08 pm

Hi Mike,

In answer to your questions (and please forgive my poor English...)

I create the "3 dimensional" letters from existing fonts. I began making signs before computers, and used to draw things like this completely from scratch. Technology has allowed me to do what I already knew how to do, but with much more precision and much quicker.

Yes, the motorcycle is entirely vectors. I use photographs for templates for this kind of illustration. Basically, it's just a matter of seeing shapes and gradients, then drawing accordingly.I think most anybody could do the same...it's just a matter of patience. Don't ask me how long it took to complete...because I WILL lie! I drew it for my portfolio, so it got more time than anybody in their right mind would pay for. (I use Adobe Illustrator.)

The goose sign is carved from redwood, which is not difficult to find in the states. Most carvers and dimensional sign artists here have switched over to HDU over the past ten years or so. It is much more stable than wood, as it is waterproof and does not warp or rot. I worked from photos to carved the goose. I lived near a lake in Indiana at the time, and Canadian geese were prevalent on my front lawn. (We called them "flying cows", because of the rather large deposits they would leave behind.
:lol: )

As far as my website, I hope you take the time to visit the step-by-steps that I have written there. I add a new one once or twice a month.It's a new site, so there are only a few there so far. Also, there is a vector scroll that I drew that can be downloaded from the site. (It's saved as an AI 5.0 file, so should be able to be imported in most any program). I'll be adding more of those as time goes by.

Oh, and by the way...I read what you folks did for rosemary (the flowers), and was touched by your kindness!
Last edited by Don Coplen on Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:05 am

Hi Don and welcome to the UKSG, just read your post on lettering, very interesting. I havent had a chance to check your web site yet but you can be sure I will as soon as I get a chance.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:58 am

hi don.

good to see some more americans joining us here at the UKSG, who knows in time we might even be bigger than letterheads :wink:

ANDY
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:48 pm

I’ll pick Don’s post to say “Hello” to the influx of “yankees” that traveled across the big pond recently. Don is one of those “rare” finds; a graphic designer that is extremely competent at what he does, understands the sign industry, and isn’t a pompous a**.

Now if we could just get him to use a real computer instead of a piece of fruit he’d be all set. :o Seriously, follow up Mike’s lead and check out Don’s website if you haven’t do so already. Great stuff and a great person. Welcome to the UK boards “Mr. Adobe”. :wink:

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group