my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

<<

Paul Davenport

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:45 pm

just interesting to know what if any areas is your company lacking in..ie do you find it difficult to get experianced staff ???
are certain production areas slow ?
do you wish you could start doing XXX but dont know where to start?

well you may end up getting some advise or we may realise that certain areas are problems for everybody !!!

and two heads are better than one for solving problems
<<

harry

Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:54 pm

Our big problem is staff.
If you get a good employee they normally think they own the place.
Just because they are good at their job doesn?t make them capable of running a company. There?s much more to it than sitting in the office on the phone.
We do vehicles. Fitters are very hard to come by. If you get a good one he normally wants to take a day to fit the van. And he strolls on late every morning you cant win.
I?m not knocking these guys, as they are good at what they do but when someone asks you for a job. You tell them the wage & the employee agrees to work to that wage.
At the end of the week if the employer has not had a sale he cant say to the guy look mate I have to give you 30 pound short in your wages sales haven?t been good.
The employee would flip. Or leave or take them to a tribunal.
On the other hand if the guy is slow or late or lazy then that?s our £30 of work going down the tube. So we are entitled to pull them up. But these guys take the strut.
Then there are the ones that think they are good but are crap? need I say more you spend 6 weeks wages employing them to find out they lied in the interview.
Well now its off my chest? can anyone help?. Paul? Anyone?
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:43 am

haha sorry mate i cant help.
if i could i would not be agreeing with your post. i agree on more points than one.

pauls an employee at his company. i know by talking to him he is pretty much devoted to his work & from what i can tell hes excellent at it also.
but as an employee? hhmmm well is he a pain in the butt! :razz: lets ask him... just kidding mate! ouch agghh let go of mah ear paul yah ****ing bully.

robert

"Lets grow together..."

Administrator of:
UKSG uksigngroup@hotmail.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: robert on 2002-02-16 23:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: robert on 2002-02-16 23:46 ]</font>
<<

Lorraine Buchan

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:05 pm

Last edited by Lorraine Buchan on Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:35 am

Hi Lorraine
If it?s a trainee you need then call the local careers place.
Ask what most companies offer a trainee in your area. Give them close to that.
If they are good and very keen then after a month or two give them something more. That way they feel rewarded for trying?
I would not start them on a good wage for you to find out they are rubbish and not interested in the work. Not to mention your time wasted training them. I have had loads like that.
As for bonuses well if it?s a shop you are leaving them in charge of then maybe. As you don?t want them sitting doing nothing when you?re out or not trying to sell your signs when someone comes in to enquire about a sign.
Why not tell them they get 5% of each sign sold over £50 that way they will try selling if its going to increase the wage.
I think this is a good way to go for a trainee anyway. They are young and inexperienced you need them to be keen to learn so sometimes an incentive is needed.
<<

Lorraine Buchan

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:07 am

Last edited by Lorraine Buchan on Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:40 pm

nop miss the experience thing out its a waste of time. they are only in to pass the the time like the ones you mentioned at the job centre.
what you want is the careers service. not job club. the careers service deals with school leavers. there should be plenty at this time of year. each local council has one for each area. ask them what rate of pay is.. & advertising with them is free.
<<

Paul Davenport

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:22 pm

well what do i say here, yep im an employee and as harry says i arrive 1/2 hour late in the mornings but its not strolling in and i hate being late but i have 2 kids to drop off so wheres the trade off to my employer well i bring work home and do it here in my own time.
i promote the company any which way i can, i give my best and most of all i will be there when im needed.......

i read up and learn new stuff in my own time, stuff which i can take into work

so in my mind i think that the 1/2 hour is
not worth getting upset about and hopefully neither does my employer....

so would you consider that to be a pain in the ass employee or just someone who cant exactly get there on time but gives back 110% more .....

Paul Davenport
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:31 am

I think if I had an employee like you Paul I would make you a deal.
Start at 9.30 finish at 6pm.
I think if that?s the reason you are late then something should be worked out. I think its good you are so committed to your work but do you think you are maybe committed to what you do rather than whom you work for. I am not trying to get at you in anyway. I am just asking, its obvious you are great at what you do.
I have seen your work. You live and sleep signs. But what I mean is do you think you love your work & all associated with it or do you think you would move in a minute at the mention of a rise. The reason I ask is that is how the boss looks at it.
Do I have a good worker dedicated to us? Or a good worker that suites himself because he knows he is good & hard to replace?
<<

Paul Davenport

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:16 am

have a go at me why dont you !!!!!!

och ya mad joch !!!

only ever moved because of money once, always worked untill 11-12 pm, used to be popping in work sometimes just for 10 mins just so i could glue, bend or whatever so people had stuff ready in the mornings did my own job and stuff in the metal dept and vynil etc where most people would say aint my job mate blah blah blah, when my wife became pregnant i asked the boss for a rise to help out with nursery costs etc or whatever.
later the afternoon , out he came carrying a calculator pulled me aside did some tapping and said he could give me 6 PENCE yes you've read it right 6 p an hour rise before tax as well, bearing in mind the money was way below avg pay anyway (12440 pa) about 3/4 years ago
basically yea i was peed off, and decided if that was what i was worth then i'll just do my std hours which caused so much crap i ended up leaving

as an employee i felt he was taking the oh i swore !, as an employer he probably thought that ?????? god knows what he was thinking

what do you think rob ????

and on a final note i have been offered £3000 a year more and fuel paid but i have no reason to part company with SR Signs, the boss is ace and the lads are good only downside is i hate vinyl but you cant have everything can you !!!!!!!
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:58 am

Hi paul
Well mate if like you said is true then your worth every penny
I have one maybe 2 guys in my work like that I can rely on and I do my best to treat and keep them right.
If your doing your fair share and more then when faced with something like a new member of the family then I think ide half expect you to maybe ask for a few bob more. And if you were worth it then yes I would reckon I should pay that bit more just to keep you.
When you have a few guys doing the same job it can cause you problems. I had a case a way back. One guy come in and asked for a rise. Problems at home etc. in the end me gave him a rise. 3 days later in walked another guy and said. Hes getting paid more now and is doing the same job as before ide like more pay as I do just as much. We said well we will think about it. Friday came 2 more , same question.
What do you do! To be fair we ended giving them all a slight rise but made it clear we will not be played off by staff as this is what clearly happened. In future if you want a rise then stand out from the rest and we will notice and over time reward you for it.
But will not just give a rise on changes at home. As we wont ever be in that position again.
in all though i think you show dedication in your work. going in at that time of night and being on this board posting messages shows itself you eat sleep & "DRINK" signs! :lol:
<<

Paul Davenport

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:26 pm

rob
as far as standing out in that company i think i gave them as i do every one my all, everything i knew, and didnt know and even more, i scrutanise every job i get involved in, make it faster, easier and hopefully more profitable for the company and i winge when people arnt doing their part or somethings not right from another dept but when that blame (harsh word) falls with upper management you find that you become alienated without being listned to !!!!

anyways enuff on this now as management and employees will never see the same light over anything !!!!!!!
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:37 am

I think that is good. Scrutanise every job!
I do it all the time and others hate it. But lets face it if we all have the attitude of who cares about how it goes out. The business will go down the tube. Then the real moaning would start!

Return to General Sign Topics