Categories
  • TIMELINE

Thankyou John Childs

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:09 am

Thankyou John Childs

After searching the boards for HM the Queens Royal Warrant Artwork i noticed an old post from John at Corby Graphics saying he had a copy
after sending him an email on Friday he called me and today Saturday in the post a CD with the full colour artwork on ready to print arrived, just to highlight what a fantastic community Rob has put together here, sharing tips tricks, and saving the sign maker hours of time thankyou John and Rob. :P
It is amazing that being one of the first members here, and previous to that a few members including Rob, that were on other sites many years ago are still around.
Do any of you still remember the early sites including one in Australia that was probably the first file sharing forum for sign makers, it was so long ago that i have forgotten the site name, it has long gone

thanks all

Adrian
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:37 am

Adrian, times have changed eh.

I agree it is a fantastic community here, and Rob should take some serious credit for having the guts to go it alone with a better idea, and others like yourself for supporting it all these years.

Last year, we had our NSW/Qld Oracal distributor invest a lot of time, effort and money to set up forums here for our australian market. I joined up immediately, and promoted it amongst my fellow signys.

The response received by the broader sign community here in OZ was nothing short of dismal.

We have a sign community here that has a closed shop mentality. I think I am a pretty friendly sort of guy and I'll talk to anyone about anything (if you hadn't noticed already), and I believe that we can still be opposition to each other, yet still have a friendly helpful attitude to each other too.

Unfortunately, I can pass any number of opposition (there are plenty!) any day of the week in my local community and offer a 'wave' or a 'gooday' and will rarely, if ever, get a reply. Even at our sign association meetings, if you go on your own there is a fair chance you'll not be spoken to by anyone else unless you make the effort first. Then the conversation is usually concentrated on the weather :roll:

Suffice to say, the aussie forum, which was totally free to join, didn't last more than a few months. It is a shame too, because the bloke behind the scheme is one of the nicest blokes you would ever want to meet.

The owners of that forum suggested I come here, and the overall communication and support you have here is unbelievable. Even tho it costs over $au150 to join gold membership, It is in the truest sense, a unique thing happening here.

My only real regret is that the time differences are so great, and that I'll probably never meet any of you personally to have a 'real' chin wag.

That is a fact of life tho, and there is little that can be done about it at the moment. If any of you ever get to my neck of the woods tho, I'd love to show you my town. That is about the best I can offer you guys and girls.

Thanks everyone
<<

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:00 pm

Adrian, Shane thanks a million for the kind words… really pleased that the site has become so helpful. :D
John Childs… hats off to you mate. :wink:
Shane, you’re not alone… I think we all have sign makers around us with that sort of attitude mate… I tend to think the ones in the business a while are a bit more open/friendly around here.
We get a wave from some, but not all sign makers. its a Kind of good feeling when others are acknowledging you.
Adrian, it is funny you should say that mate... I was thinking similar thing the other night. I was also just mentioning to some others that you were one of the first on uksignboards.com.
The old OZ site name slips me... but your right, that was the first sign site to have the file swapping forum. I think it was pretty successful at that… I only found it a few weeks before it closed I think. Not sure why to be honest, but I remember it opening back up over a year later. But again, I think they closed the doors.
The nets a huge place, but very small world. With one click of the mouse your on the opposite side of the world… its weird how we mingle...
Shane, I know what you mean about the time differences… frustrates me too… :-?
The site almost seems to stop around 2am and kicks back in about 8am…
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:24 pm

Pleasure Rob,

I get so frustrated at times with the others sign shops around me. When I am busy, I'll share out my excess work, but you know those guys I have sent 'work on a platter' to never even have the decency to acknowledge me in the street. :o

I was doing a new bus the other day at the manufacturers, and there were two other sign shops there doing other contracts there too. My father and I went to each sign contractor and introduced ourselves, offered a handshake that was reluctantly accepted, then got to work. Both the others sign shops finished before us, and both ignored our 'cheerio' as they drove off. What is wrong with being civil?

I recently had a need to employ another sign company to help me finish a huge job in the city, one of those jobs that just kept growing. I didn't even ask the other sign guy for a quote, just got him to do the job, but asked him to pose as one of my employees. The bloke did the job alright, then proceeded to steal the whole damn contract off me! What is wrong with honesty and ethics?

I do contract cutting and printing for other smaller sign shops, and it would never occur to me to steal a lead. Apart from the fact that it would destroy my reputation, I don't understand why someone would 'poo' in their own nest?

It is apparent here that there is a good spirit on these boards (no Rob - not breezers), and I'd suspect this UKSB 'baby' is very similar to parenthood. As a parent, we all try and teach our children by example. I suspect Rob, your example, is what sets the tone for these boards in the first place,

Thanks again mate
<<

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:42 pm

thanks again mate... :wink:

funny you say that about other sign shops...

we have one local, been in our game longer than we have & we are nearly 20 years now.. (im only coming up on 15 years in the game :D )
anyway... they contacted us one friday afternoon... said, by any chance do you have some cosmos blue vinyl? (back then there wasnt as many suppliers or even vinyls on the go) anyway... we had the perfect match and from checking stock.. i noticed we had one & half rolls. so i said i can give you a full 50mtr roll if that helps. he said "great ill have it.. i just need to finish the job i am doing, but the supplier cant get me vinyl till monday" fair enough i thought and i drove a few miles to next town and handed it in.
from then... we chased the guy for 3 months for payment of the vinyl. "just at cost, nothing more" one day a young lad walked in with a roll of cosmos blue and said ive been asked to give this in... :-?
about a year later... i was in similar position. i was short on... "wait for it" 12inches by 12 inches of translucent green. i just needed to cut one letter to complete a huge lightbox sign... it was friday night at that... no chance would i get it on time.. so on the phone i went to them asking.. they said, yes i have it.. lots in fact.. i said i only need about 2 foot (to be on safe side) when i say two foot.. i mean 2'x13inches... nobody had wide plotters back then all gerber 4B's 13 INCH WIDE.
anyway i drove to next town, in i went.. as it was friday night his staff were all standing round waiting to be paid.. out he came with my bit of vinyl... as he handed it over, his words were.. thats £5!
i looked and said.. eh.. ok sure thing... i then found i hadnt one coin to my name... i said, listen i havent got any money on me can i drop it in tomorrow... his stair would have cut you in two... he said.. you havent even got £5? i said, sorry no! (all this while standing in front of his staff)
he said, well seeing as i know where you work ill let it go... just hand it in tommorrow then...
if i wasnt desperate for the bit of vinyl ide have told him to shove it...
i was about to splurt out he owed us 50 metres for 3 months and only got it through chasing him... bet his staff didnt know that one.. anyway.. lesson learnt... :evil:
thing is, i could pass lots of work to him these days... seems a waste... :-?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:15 pm

Now you're embarrasing me Adrian. :oops: Seriously, I'm glad it got there so quickly and hope it does your job. As coincidence would have it, this morning we had a cut vinyl warrant arrive in the post from a client for applying to a van we are doing for him on Monday. It is a good one so before I give it to my fitters my first job will be to scan and digitise it!

Robert, unfortunately we all have stories like yours. It is difficult to pick the wheat from the chaff so my procedure is that everybody gets one chance. If they let me down then they get no more favours from me. It is surprising, and very pleasing, how often their misbehavoir comes back to haunt them.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:07 pm

John,
Isn't it nice to be loved!
L J
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:12 pm

Indeed it is LJ, indeed it is. :D

Which reminds me, one of the number plates you kindly did for me is going for an MOT next week. Mind you, they haven't noticed the left hand drive headlight on the last four tests and I think they might be more concerned with the straight through pipes than a slightly undersized plate.

I'll let you know how I get on. :lol1:
<<

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:42 pm

The thing is john... being a member of UKSG and being a long term respected member is a bit different.
as you know, its about sharing, helping etc
companies like Corby graphics, & signrite signs & graphics are what the group is all about.
both you and Adrian, don't think twice about sharing work/contracts with other members. i personaly have received business from both of you in my area/location due to this and i know others have too...
i/we thank you both for this! :P
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:32 pm

john childs

Have to say Rob.. A bit off topic but I have used several of the people on here to do stuff and have had no problems at all... I think the majority of fully paid up members are more than happy to help each other out... one of the reasons I enjoy being a part of this community...
Cheers
Ian
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:22 am

Thank you for those kind words Robert, but don't forget that it works both ways.

Some of the work that we do can involve lengthy travelling times. So much so that the cost of travel can often easily exceed the value of the job. In those cases it makes sense, provided we know we can rely on the person involved to do a good job, to ask someone local do it for us.

For instance, just before I was due to leave on holiday, half way through December, we had a call from a client in Hereford who needed a van fitting fairly quickly. My boys were busy and I didn't want to be here, but a quick phone call to Carrie and it was all sorted. My customer got his van done and was happy, Carrie hopefully earned a few quid and I could jump on the plane with absolutely no doubts or worries that the job wouldn't be done properly. Everybody was a winner.

Having a network of people we can call on for help is a very valuable resource.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:26 am

Thanks for the mention John, was more than happy to help :D

We have also had work done by other members ..... the boards and the members are invaluable :D

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat