Categories
  • TIMELINE

Question???

<<

Lee Harris

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:53 pm

Question???

I have been asked to produce some boards that show a company logo that goes at the front of coaches. I have been given a CD with verious images and formats.

My question is: Is there a different between the image format for a Mac and the same format for a PC, in other words: Will a PC open a TIFF/JPEG/EPS file that has been made on a MAC or not.

Sorry, if this sounds a dumb question, but I have tried opening the images on 3 different PC's and I'm getting no where fast.

Thanks for your help
Lee
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:03 am

nop it wont open them mate, needs to be converted. i had this problem many moons ago with steve from signagraphic. couldnt get his files open, then had to send to a freind who converted them and hey presto.. it works.
there is a cheap sopftware vailable that does this quick. not sure what the name is though. sorry.

if anyone else knows please let me know as i want to buy it for some stuff i have coming up and it will come in handy :wink:
<<

Marcella Ross

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:04 am

Sometimes they open in Adobe Illustrator but failing that there's a program called MacDrive 5 which runs with windows XP. This allows you to open a MAC file.

Marcella
<<

Lee Harris

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:57 am

Thanks for the info Marcella. I'll see where I can get the program from and give it a go

Robert, if I get the program that Marcella says and it works , I'll let you know.

Once again, Thanks :lol1:
<<

Alan Drury

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:39 am

I use Transmac and Crossfont, both from www.asy.com this will enable you to read Mac disks (virtually all types) and convert the files & fonts to pc format. The fonts can then be installed in the normal way.
Alan
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:38 pm

I use transmac as well, you can get a free copy which will only convert small files or if you want to convert larger files then you have to register it. I registered about 2 years ago and it cost me $40 so its not expensive but it is a very good program
<<

Juzzer

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:13 am

It's not clear whether you are having problems reading the CD itself or you just cant open the images that are on it.

If the former them you're knackered (without 3rd party software).

If it's the latter then there is no reason why you can't open those file types on a PC - I work with Mac's and PC's and have never had a problem with moving images from one platform to another*. However, if the files dont have a suffix (Mac's don't need them) e.g. .tif, .jpg, .eps, the app you are trying to open them with won't know what to do. If that's the case just copy them to your hard drive and rename them.

Cheers
Justin
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:35 am

Just interested, what if the scenario is the other way round? What if you want to save a file on a PC to enable it to be read on a Mac, can you use a similar conversion software?

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Andy Gorman

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:59 am

I never had any problems exporting eps and ai files from MAC and then opening them on a PC and vice versa. With certain file types it was necessary to manually type the extension after the filename. That's all I know.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:02 am

I've never heard of this before, I have always worked along the lines that files are cross platform as long as you have the relevant software. I regularly send clients jpg, eps, gif, swf, psd files and many more besides. I work on a Mac and all my clients are PC based, as said perviously as long as the file extension is there all should be fine.

Have you tried opening from within the application? Sometimes you need to hold there hand a bit.
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:53 am

I think the problem arises when there is a sub-structure to the data. Accessing the individual files through a directory would be problematic if the directories were created on two different types of computer.

Could your customer not rerecord and put the files need at the root of the CD, and ensure that all the files have the correct extensions?

Cheers, Dewi
<<

John Harding

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:28 am

I've had problems opening mac files where the mac has comprressed them, the file has a "sit" suffix (stands for stuff-it) which I guess is like win zip - how do you guys get around this? :-?
<<

Juzzer

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:03 am

John Harding wrote:I've had problems opening mac files where the mac has comprressed them, the file has a "sit" suffix (stands for stuff-it) which I guess is like win zip - how do you guys get around this? :-?

Stuffit expander
www.stuffit.com
There is a free basic version for windows.

Justin
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:48 pm

I have had problems in the past as I said before which is why I got a copy of transmac, if I know the client is working with macs I always ask them to save as an eps as I know this to be dual platform and I dont have any problems. Main problem is I dont know enough about all the different file types etc to be able to just go from one to the other.

Dewi transmac works both ways so if you had work on a pc that you wanted to read on mac you could, even if like me you knew nothing about file extentions!!!!

Return to General Sign Topics