my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

SUMMA G-Performance on S Class 2 cutters

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:31 pm

SUMMA G-Performance on S Class 2 cutters

Hi has anyone bought or used the G-Performance on summa cutters?

is it worth the price £450.00 + vat
thanks
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:43 pm

Re: SUMMA G-Performance on S Class 2 cutters

Haven’t used it myself, though I have an s class cutter so plenty of experience with them.

The video on the summa website doesn’t put two s classes against each other, I presume because the difference isn’t huge.

Interesting that they’re trying to speed up the alignment time but hard to justify the extra cost.

I think if you were doing a lot of print and cut stickers where you’re up to capacity each day then it would be worth going for
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:43 pm

Great question! Having the same debate, got my quote back today for £425 +vat! Seems an awful lot, I’d written the idea off long ago, however I spotted a video the other day showing time saved with the update which got me really interested again! Just reading the registration marks is an awful lot quicker! A 3 minute job (including reading the marks) without the update was down to 1:55 with the update! Certainly adds up over a period of time!
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 pm

watched the vid quite a party piece but dont think of any use to run of the mill users
my thoughts

fastest way to ware out a nice bit of kit is to run it flat out.
fine i think for the small light weight sheet probably not laminated
my graphtec will do a fast search of marks if you can be bothered to tell it the distance first fine for lots of the same.
fine well built plotters that they are don't think it would be fair to it if you give it a 8x4 laminated sheet and work at that speed and acceleration G-Force. its got to slip ?

and another thing they are dear enough with out having to buy extras.
only jealous as i an't got one. :wink:
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 pm

an Idea just turn up the speed? mine runs at VELOCITY: 200 mm/s on laminated print and cut jobs
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:33 pm

I run mine day in day out at 800mm/s on a mix of Oracal 751 and oracal 3651 with laminate.

The printed media I tend to try and avoid going over 3m in length, it maintains excellent accuracy.

It never skips a beat and never slips. (Probably cursed it now!)
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:49 pm

I’ve actually been having a nightmare with mine as of late. When cutting vinyl lettering, we have a repeat job of logos in sheet sizes of around 1800mm. It’s gradually got worse and worse at not closing off the letters correctly and can sometimes be around 7mm out of place. We’ve found out today that by manually pre winding enough material through for the job gets rid of the issue, but don’t feel I should need to do this! Back onto engineers tomorrow I think!
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 pm

What width roll are you using?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Alex Crosbie wrote:I run mine day in day out at 800mm/s on a mix of Oracal 751 and oracal 3651 with laminate.

You have just blown my mind with the speed. Suddenly 60mm/s and 30mm/s on the Versacamm seem very slow.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Luke Culpin wrote:I’ve actually been having a nightmare with mine as of late. When cutting vinyl lettering, we have a repeat job of logos in sheet sizes of around 1800mm. It’s gradually got worse and worse at not closing off the letters correctly and can sometimes be around 7mm out of place. We’ve found out today that by manually pre winding enough material through for the job gets rid of the issue, but don’t feel I should need to do this! Back onto engineers tomorrow I think!

Luke that could be either rollers are slipping, try cleaning them, there is also a length calibration you can do, do you use media flanges, I find them good on long runs, I also turn off panelling on cut vinyls unless its like 4 or 5 mtrs long.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Alex Crosbie wrote:I run mine day in day out at 800mm/s on a mix of Oracal 751 and oracal 3651 with laminate.

The printed media I tend to try and avoid going over 3m in length, it maintains excellent accuracy.

It never skips a beat and never slips. (Probably cursed it now!)

Alex I'm going to speed mine up tomorrow and try it, I never speed it up, I slow it down on small letters 12mm high stuff.

do you use the media flanges ?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:17 pm

Luke Culpin wrote:I’ve actually been having a nightmare with mine as of late. When cutting vinyl lettering, we have a repeat job of logos in sheet sizes of around 1800mm. It’s gradually got worse and worse at not closing off the letters correctly and can sometimes be around 7mm out of place. We’ve found out today that by manually pre winding enough material through for the job gets rid of the issue, but don’t feel I should need to do this! Back onto engineers tomorrow I think!

as said bits wearing but you have a pre-feed command that will pre-feed the job amount for you, i like to do it manually so i can double check the run out or lack of it.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21 am

Everything is cleaned to look as new on the machine! Cutting 1370 vinyl mainly. I’ve done several calibrations and everything is also spot on. So the pre-feed seems to be the only solution to solve the problem! I’ve followed the Manuel to re-set the default pre-feed to a longer length but this seems to only work the once and then revert back to the original length. Frustrating when you just want to leave the machine cutting away onto the take up! So immediate course of action i see is to work out how to set that default pre feed to stay as inputted length every time. But still in the back of my mind, should a top of the range cutter like this still be cutting this far out if the pre-feed isn’t long enough.
<<

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:23 am

I forget the model/series etc of the Summa I bought from Perfect Colors.
it was the top of the range model from memory. only add-on I don't think we took was the tangental option.
anyway, it came with all other extras included automated take-up roll for roll-to-roll contour cutting, which alone was about £1000 extra.
Long story short, it failed miserably to do what I was sold it for and it was returned after months of frustration and wasted media, and a full refund given. This was not down to us operating the machine wrong, even the technicians could not get it to work. one blaming their lack of experience with the actual take-up system? anyway... my personal opinion is I was being fobbed off with a faulty machine. But keep it in mind when getting your demo. make sure it tracks properly over an adequate distance and make sure it is doing so with your own files and prints. As I say, not knocking Summa, other than this issue, "that just happened to be the reason for buying it", and was going to be one of two purchased, all else was great and a very robust accurate, fast and easy operating cutter.

Watch on youtube.com
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:38 am

I cut 200 of a customers logo yesterday at around 8mm tall (they’re logo text is quite blocky and simple)

Cut from oracal 751 silver at 800mm/s, it still took around 15 minutes to complete! I’ll post a video today if I get chance
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:04 am

We have the take up system which actually works very well for us. I’ve had the machine around 2.5 years with no issues, just all of a sudden seems to track out of place!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 am

We run ours at 600m/s - 800m/s just scares me :yikes:
Always use the media flanges, and its workshop policy to clean & perform maintance on all machine every Friday. Very rarely have any issues :smiles:

Return to Summa Cutters