my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Summa D120se sticks on first cut

<<

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:40 am

Summa D120se sticks on first cut

Hi. I'm hoping for some feedback on a problem I have with my SummaCut D120se. On the first cut of any run, the head sticks before it plunges down. So, the drum moves the vinyl anywhere form a few mm's to a couple cm before the knife hits. I know about the pad the coil bracket hits at the landing, but that wouldn't really account for this issue. Unless there is a pad in the top too? Perhaps the coil developed some type of magnetism that it "breaks" when it gets some juice? Well, I feel like I have seen other people posting of this syndrome, but I have yet to see or hear a credible solution... :-?

Any help would be great, crossing my fingers here
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:06 pm

its not un common to have a bit of grit in the windings in side what i think you are calling a bucket give it a good blow out.
the windings are very close to the edge and can't remember the correct way to centralise again if un bolted.
<<

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:39 pm

OK, so would you recommend just taking the cover off, and pushing the cutter down and using compressed air to attempt to remove this grit? Just curious, do the symptoms I have mentioned match the symptoms of grit in the coil? When I press the could down with my finger, their is a spring that pulls it back up. It feels like just before it returns to the top (still with a tad of pressure from my finger on it) it "snaps" tight like there was a magnet in it.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:52 pm

OK, so would you recommend just taking the cover off, and pushing the cutter down and using compressed air to attempt to remove this grit?

yes

the coil is energised to over come the spring and apply the set pressure don't take much to upset it.

is it a new blade on a very light pressure setting
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Summa D120se sticks on first cut

Got very similar issues with my old Summa D60.
There is a rubber pad at the top which has worn over the years & the assembly has pushed its way into it gradually. I'm nursing mine along for the time being by placing a small piece off adhesive foam alongside the coil which prevents the mechanism from rising all the way up & sticking. It will probably need a new head assembly as there are no serviceable parts available. A rare design flaw by Summa. We'll worth speaking to Harry at Edward Mathias, a very knowledgable guy & knows pretty much all there is to know about plotters. Hope this helps
Last edited by Kevin Mahoney on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey you just hit "6660" posts… the beast!

No, the blade is new and the strip is in great shape. I increased the pressure to 150. It does decrease the "gap" but it does not eliminate it. The weirdest thing is that it only ever affects the very first cut. After that, everything is good… I guess that is why I had wondered if their was some sort of residual magnetism delaying the plunge?

I had wondered if there was a pad at the top of the coil like the one it lands on, as I could see it causing the initial "stick", but I am reluctant to want to take apart the solenoid assembly as I don't know too much about them...
<<

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Kevin Mahoney wrote:Got very similar issues with my old Summa D60.
There is a rubber pad at the top which has worn over the years & the assembly has pushed its way into it gradually. I'm nursing mine along for the time being by placing a small piece off adhesive foam alongside the coil which prevents the mechanism from rising all the way up & sticking. It will probably need a new head assembly as there are no serviceable parts available. A rare design flaw by Summa. We'll worth speaking to Harry at Edward Mathias, a very knowledgable guy & knows pretty much all there is to know about plotters. Hope this helps

Can you give me a better idea where this foam piece sits? I wonder why it can just be replaced as opposed to replacing the entire head? Any further details you can offer or pictures would be greatly appreciated! :lol1:
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:06 pm

It would mean taking it all apart to mend it, & I don't think there is a replacement part available from Summa. Edward Mathias have told me it's around £300 for a replacement head assembly. The part you need is very well concealed
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:10 pm

My Summa D120R has been suffering from a 'cutlag' lately but I sorted it today and now it cuts perfectly again.
I have a slightly crude but easy fix for this problem so will post a diagram shortly for any other sufferers!!
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Be interested to see that fix Neil, got an old D60 that had the same problem, I refused to throw it in the skip, but didn’t have time to solve the problem, just bought a newer model. Be great to resurrect it.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Yup I’m all ears on this
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Right guys this is very crude as I said :smiles:
All i did was take the cover off the tool holder (two screws in the side) on my Summa D120R.
Then all I did was hold down the tool holder (remove your blade tool first) and pop a small, 10mm x 5mm, piece of double sided foam tape on top of the holder close to the centre copper magnety bit to stop the holder returning fully upwards. Leave the release tape on the top part of the double side tap, obvs :smiles:
Pop the cover back on and away to go, I've had no problems since doing this, works a treat.
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 pm

That’s uncanny Neil! That’s pretty much what I used to do with some self adhesive 3mm sponge I had kicking about. Still got the plotter on the racking
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Kevin Mahoney wrote:That’s uncanny Neil! That’s pretty much what I used to do with some self adhesive 3mm sponge I had kicking about. Still got the plotter on the racking

Great minds Kevin, great minds :smiles:
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:02 pm

After today’s performance mate, I dunno

Return to Summa Cutters