Categories
  • TIMELINE

Fitting window graphics when the window is cold

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Fitting window graphics when the window is cold

Sent the lad out today to fit a couple of small window graphics... and he failed.

First he couldn’t set the job up on the window, no tape would stick, he tried Hexis masking tape, electrical tape, parcel tape and strips of vinyl. Nothing would hold the graphic to the window.

Any thoughts on what else can we try. Don’t want to heat the window up with a heat gun Incase the glass breaks
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Fitting window graphics when the window is cold

If nothing holds to the glass, then no point in putting the graphic up is there ?
Sounds like the glass may have been cleaned with s silicon based product. Has it been cleaned properly?
<<

UKSG - UK Sign Group Vinyl Media Supplier
UKSG - UK Sign Group Vinyl Media Supplier

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi Denise
Try covering the other side of the glass with bubble wrap, great way to insulate the glass without risk.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Iain Pearson wrote:If nothing holds to the glass, then no point in putting the graphic up is there ?
Sounds like the glass may have been cleaned with s silicon based product. Has it been cleaned properly?

Cleaned with ipa several times
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Only way I've got round this is to warm the glass slightly. Not idea especially outside but surprising the difference a little bit of heat make. Do piles of car window graphics for a local garage and have to heat both before and after application. Only had one fail and I swear they power washed it off!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 pm

was it a hair salon or barbers? They're the worst as you can't clear the mist off quick enough, if it's cold outside your own breath with be your enemy!

I've done it using lots of Isprop to clean and then held in place using 2" clear parcel tape (not the brown stuff) and squeegee it down, usually works.

Obviously don't do it wet and when peeling back the hinge (ask someone to hold the exposed bit) clean the glass again with iso to remove moisture and apply right away. removing the app paper can be tricky and care needs to be taken there!
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Hugh Potter wrote:was it a hair salon or barbers? They're the worst as you can't clear the mist off quick enough, if it's cold outside your own breath with be your enemy!

I've done it using lots of Isprop to clean and then held in place using 2" clear parcel tape (not the brown stuff) and squeegee it down, usually works.

Obviously don't do it wet and when peeling back the hinge (ask someone to hold the exposed bit) clean the glass again with iso to remove moisture and apply right away. removing the app paper can be tricky and care needs to be taken there!

It was a salon

Done today, went mid day when It was a bit warmer. Packed every tape known to man.
Packing tape ( not brown type) won the day.
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:53 am

Has anyone tried using one of those Karcher window vacs for this type of install. It’s technically steam cleaning the glass & drying straight after, might be worth £50 on a punt unless anyone else has already tried it?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:15 pm

We use Karcher vacs but all they do is remove moisture from windows rest have to be done mamually no steam cleaning element there I'm afraid.
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Martin Lemiesz wrote:We use Karcher vacs but all they do is remove moisture from windows rest have to be done mamually no steam cleaning element there I'm afraid.

Apologies, got the brand wrong, not Karcher, it’s an Ovation hand held steam cleaner. I don’t think it vacuums the window though
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Denise Goodfellow wrote:
Hugh Potter wrote:was it a hair salon or barbers? They're the worst as you can't clear the mist off quick enough, if it's cold outside your own breath with be your enemy!

It was a salon

Done today, went mid day when It was a bit warmer. Packed every tape known to man.
Packing tape ( not brown type) won the day.

That’s what I meant when I said 2” cellotape !! Only thing I e found that’ll stick long enough!

Return to General Sign Topics