• TIMELINE

I've nearly been scammed - don't fall for this one

<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:31 am

I've nearly been scammed - don't fall for this one

Looks like I have been strung along by a scammer. Last week I received a routine enquiry to do a van. This was to have the business name (Durren's Hire) and tel. no. - two sides and rear. Nothing elaborate. So I sent of a costing and got a reply back accepting my price.

The enquirer was apparently at sea and this was his second business and the van would be delivered directly to my workshop from Northern Ireland by the supplier to have the work done. He would contact me again when he knew when it was coming. All was good so far and I didn't suspect a thing though his English grammar was a bit suspect which was unusual for someone with such an English sounding name as Dave Wilson

Today I received an email confirming that the van would be delivered to my premises next Thursday. But here's the thing. He's at sea just now and the delivery costs were to be paid by BACS which he was unable to organise whilst at sea so could he pay me £1200 with a credit card - then I keep £200 for my trouble, and forward on £1000 as payment for the delivery of the vehicle.

Yeah that'll be right :rollseyes: A variation of the very reverend John Smith (god bless him) and his banner requirements.

Actually it was all very plausible, but a complete waste of my time which could be better spent dealing with genuine enquiries.
<<

Jon Marshall

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: I've nearly been scammed - don't fall for this one

:shake:
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:17 am

Had the same one...as soon as it went "work on sea for X company" the bells went off...that, and the poor English and not having agreed anything the van was being dropped off.
Like you, wasted time on an initial couple of emails to get some sort of brief for a design...
<<

Denise Goodfellow

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:07 am

It isn’t just sign/trade related.

Energy contracts, boardband, phone lines, charities, local people in need being used to extract donations.

All have point blank lied in order to get ur money.

Fake invoices, fake postal delivery cards.

We’ve had property photos and adverts duplicated in order to get the gullible to send money direct to secure a viewing.

Scammers selling stuf on Facebook, then you hear how the washing machine neverworked and we should never trust that person again.

Dodgy fags, trainers, handbags, even things like having your nails done, the staff using superglue instead of the proper glue that doesn’t damage your nails. Because it’s cheaper.

We very rarely buy second hand as it so hard to trust anyone these days.
<<

Kevin Mahoney

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 am

Just deleted over 200 emails received over the weekend. No scam this time, no trickery or sly tactics, just a blatant demand for £8000 in bitcoin payments. Apparently, I have had some malicious software installed on my pc when I supposedly visited a ‘recreational website’. The webcam has apparently been activated & recorded me whilst watching & ‘enjoying’ myself. I’m not particularly worried about this as I’ve been married for 25 years so I’m fairly sure there is no video footage of me enjoying myself anywhere on the planet.
<<

Kevin Busby

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:46 am

Kevin Mahoney wrote:Just deleted over 200 emails received over the weekend. No scam this time, no trickery or sly tactics, just a blatant demand for £8000 in bitcoin payments. Apparently, I have had some malicious software installed on my pc when I supposedly visited a ‘recreational website’. The webcam has apparently been activated & recorded me whilst watching & ‘enjoying’ myself. I’m not particularly worried about this as I’ve been married for 25 years so I’m fairly sure there is no video footage of me enjoying myself anywhere on the planet.

LMAO I got this one this morning but I was only ordered to pay £250 for my sins, maybe I get a discount as its only 24 years of no pleasure for me, seems wedding cake turns women into totally opposite models of their previous self.
<<

Kevin Mahoney

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am

I’d be keen to see this footage to be honest, my monitor is actually a 40” tv with no webcam, would be a genius piece of software design if they can get that to work.
<<

Martyn Heath

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 am

U guys have just concreted my view not get married :lol:
<<

Kevin Mahoney

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 am

Just find someone you don’t like & buy them a house, you’ll save years
<<

David Stevenson

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

Excuse me, my wife and I have been a happily married couple for 11 years! She's happy and I'm married. And no I'm not brave enough to say it to her face lol
<<

Kevin Mahoney

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:35 pm

We’re getting into dangerous territory here chaps. Any post I get involved in always ends up miles away from topic, my apologies. The wife is a Goddess (if you ever read this Emily)
<<

Cheryl Smith

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:19 pm

wisely said Kevin.
<<

Martyn Heath

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:02 am

Second time we've had this e-mail. Thanks for the reminder Phil.

Give away's were, the poor English, and the fact the e-mail it was sent from doesn't match the e-mail in the signature. :wink:

We pride ourselves on customer service so still replied.

Copy of their original e-mail and our reply, may be worth adding to you blocked list :thumbsup:
Attachments
Scam.jpg
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:02 am

I think he may have turned to you since I ignored his offer to process his card payment. This is beginning to remind me of the Nigerian man that was recently found dead in a room full of billions of dollars of gold bullion, that (despite his best efforts) he was unable to give away. :awkward:
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:04 am

Sound's like you know my long lost Nigerian relative, who left me all his billions in his will...
<<

Martin Cole

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 am

Funny enough a designer friend of mine emailed me last week to say he has a van inquiry and would I like the job.

He sent the emails over and low and behold it was the same. As soon as I read the words working at sea I looked up your post Phil and it was Mr Durren's Hire. He had even sent my mate pictures of the van ( don't know if you guys got the pics aswell)
As you mentioned Phil, he was well p1ssed off that he had wasted time dealing with such a dodgy enquiry.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:47 pm

Thought I would update this thread...
Just going through email enquiries to us and this guy has been in contact with us this week... Wanting vehicle graphics followed by all the same crap.

Just listing some details below so Google will pick-up the keywords and hopefully prevent others from being caught out.

Dave Wilson
dave1wilson2@gmail.com
DUREN'S HIRE
durenshire@btconnect.com

Scam, Scammed, Bogus, Con, Hoax, Fraud, Deception, Cheat.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat