my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Can we have moan section on this website?

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Re: Can we have moan section on this site

Twice already this week I`ve had customers take up my time telling me how many thousands of pounds they have spent on their salon or shop.
For then to be told they can only afford £150 for a sign, but still require it to be 3d stainless steel with LED`s if possible.

We need a meams page
Attachments
customer.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Yes we do need a moan section!

Got referred a customer from one of our trade customers, quoted for their van signs... got told they didn't have the money at the moment.

Go to see our trade customer and the company we quoted are next door, there's their van, with a huge printed sticker on the side, full of wrinkles, it didn't even fit inside the panel.

Even our trade customer is laughing at the state of it, they watched the owner try and fit it.

We're supplying the monthly programme for a sports club we sponsor. We agreed a unit price and asked for all the content weeks ago so we could work on it at our leisure once the 1st edition is done we're laughing. If they sent the player interviews etc we can get them done.

Nope, what happens... 1 week before the first game, loads of press releases, no photos, no logos, hardly any adverts, oh and it's double the number of pages than last year. :bangshead:

Their lack of planning isn't my problem, and we cannot afford to prioritise their programme over higher margin work.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 pm

I like the idea of a moan section Denise :thumbsup:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Can I have a whinge too? Asked to supply a 8x4 dibond sign to replace an existing sign that was apparently up with a couple of screws. Went to remove it today to discover it was up with 8 thunder bolts! 8! It was only 8ft x 3ft. Could only get 6 out the other 2 were impossible without an angle grinder. Ended up cutting a chunk out of the old sign with a chisel to get it down. Ah the joys, at least it wasn't raining :-)

Thunder-bolt-screw-uksignboards.com.png
Last edited by David Stevenson on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:36 pm

I think a moan section would be a great success. I promise to make regular contribhrions
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:27 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea :D
<<

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Denise Goodfellow wrote:Can we have moan section on this site

Please feel free to use the "Off topic forum/section" for these posts Denise. :lol:
Or, we could re-title this Post, "The Moan Post" :smiles:

Seriously though, we all like a good rant, moan etc... The thing is, it is not actually off-topic, our day to day business complaints are completely relevant to this website because we can all relate to it in one way or another!
Also, i have read similar posts and by the end of the topic there is multiple suggestions of resolving the persons "Moan" :lol:

So by all means, Moan away till your hearts content! :lol: :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:42 am

Re: Can we have moan section on this website?

But I can't help but feel there would be more kudos if our moans were officially recognised. A dedicated moan section would surely raise the standard of moans put forward. Who knows, we could even create an annual award for the best moan submitted.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:55 am

Phill Fenton wrote:Who knows, we could even create an annual award for the best moan submitted.

I like the idea, however we'd need to verify the moans are genuine.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:59 am

Great idea, I could bleat on at you lot instead of the Mrs every evening. Ermmmm!!!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:16 am

Mike Thornley wrote:Great idea, I could bleat on at you lot instead of the Mrs every evening. Ermmmm!!!
I think my wife could benefit for it too Mike lol
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Ha Ha, I can`t get away from it, I work with my husband

Tuesday late afternoon, we get a security company, an already customer of ours, place a screen printing order for 150 polos, 2 colour print on front, rear and both sleeves. Which equates to a 600 2 colour print job. He then drops the bomb shell that he needs to pick them up mid Friday as he has a festival to attend....

OK, they will be done in time - just. But surely he didn`t just get this gig dropped on him, festivals have to be planned and security is one of the main issues. So why wait until nearly the event day to organise the shirts...

Sorry, but some people, even succsessful business people need help to wipe their ass lol
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Don't forget we just 'press a button' and the jobs finished.... :evil:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:02 pm

oh its my fault that a client didn't pay a deposit when asked and I told him the turnaround time on chapter 8 kits, was 4-5 working days, so we cannot do his van tomorrow, as no materials ordered as we didn't have the deposit as requested. I even reminded him...twice!!!
Ce la vie....
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Mike Thornley wrote:oh its my fault that a client didn't pay a deposit when asked and I told him the turnaround time on chapter 8 kits, was 4-5 working days, so we cannot do his van tomorrow, as no materials ordered as we didn't have the deposit as requested. I even reminded him...twice!!!
Ce la vie....

We give lead times 'from approval of artwork', and nothing is booked in until it's approved. Had it happen too many times.

I can't find the button that makes job's appear, and the customer hasn't rang back so we can tell them they aren't having a programme for Tuesday :bangshead:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Having a frozen should which is making work nearly imposible and driving very painful. Last week had a builder call me hes apx 25 miles away and has been let down by his usual sign company. Asks me to come and see him as they need the job turned around urgently. Next day I am half way there on another job and call to say ill be with him in 20 minutes. No answer so i leave a message, get to site not there call again and say im going to get a coffee and await his call. Have coffee, bugger off back to my unit. I text him as i didnt hear from you im now back in Oswestry, do you know hes still not contacted me, some people are a complete waste of space grrrr No wonder the other company didnt turn up he was probably getting a taste of his own medicine
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:38 am

I had my best one a few weeks ago. Horsey lady needs 6 logos pressed onto her 120 quid helly hanson jackets :shocked:, all 25 of them.
She phones to see if we can meet her deadline of 2.5 weeks, we say yes but we need confirmation and the artwork by the end of the week. Hear nothing..................... then 7 days before her deadline confirms the job and drops them off next day. still no artwork. then picks them up the following day to have a button added to the back and drops them back off the following day with artwork. (4 days to deadline)

Now i believe that we are the experts :lol: and need to point the customer in the right direction, so she brings in the jackets and wants to discuss (tell me) where everything is going. 1 hour! of telling me, hmmmm, hmmm yes im happy now, mm perfect on placement and sizing logs etc. Ive told her i think its all far too big and things should be moved etc but she knows what she wants!. Ok, next day i spend the morning cutting logs, phone rings "can i add this that and the other to some logos". Er, no you do realise we are working on the job? she ignores this comment and continues talking about changes. I then tell her fine but it will be extra cost and your deadline is out the window......................silence........... hmmmm well dont worry then but you should have told me that changes couldnt be made. :bangshead:

So someone picks them up on the deadline day. We think she is a nightmare but what can she be unhappy with as she made all the decisions........well, 2days later i get an essay email, how shes not happy with where certain logos are, should have been 5mm lower, some logos are too big etc etc etc. Our response was basically " well, we are sorry that you are not happy with your own decisions as everything was done to your spec. Two more emails follow with her moaning and answering her own questions. :rollseyes:

It really does make you wonder how people like this exist.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:07 am

Quoted for 800mmx 800mm foamex exhibition panels.
Artwork turns up at 1800mm x 800mm - customer cant see the issue...…
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Colin Crabb wrote:Quoted for 800mmx 800mm foamex exhibition panels.
Artwork turns up at 1800mm x 800mm - customer cant see the issue...…

I think your being unreasonable colin. It had an 8 in it whats the problem
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Martyn, I hate to generalise but the two worst customers Ive ever had have both been 'Horsey' people. One ive just managed after 11 months to get paid for work done on their 4x4 and trailer and the other was a nightmare woman who made promises of loads of work, who have me do artwork (seriously 1-2 hours in my office) for ONE A4 print/ panel and then demanded i give her the artwork so she could print more of them off herself. She also wanted it in a format that she could alter the text and details if needed. She kept saying it was her artwork as she had told me where she wanted text and pictures putting :bangshead: . I eventually told her that as the artwork was on MY computer and not hers that the artwork was actually mine.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Great idea...

Prospective customer calls up, runs a funeral directors. Asks for a 2x whiteboards with printed graphics 4ft x 2ft, I emailed a quote for print ready artwork (agreed by client) and collection of the product from our Unit. Artwork arrived and it’s a publisher file. Requested the client send in print ready artwork in line with our ability to use (sent to web page stating what print ready artwork is expected to be). Client says what kind of a Signmakers can’t print a publisher file on a 3ft x 4ft sign.

Artwork rubbish, ordered a whiteboard, thinking that’s what he can make an aboard out of. I sorted all these details he then asks for discount and fitting thrown in for me putting them out not being able to print their file.

I am happy to report their request was denied.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 am

Designer insisting on a massively complicated spec for what should be a very simple sign, refuses to meet and discuss, refuses to accept alternative materials/options says that two other sign companies have met with him and now no longer taking his calls - guess we will be the third company that cannot supply 10mm thick stainless steel letters 48mm height on standoffs painted to match a reference that he has only viewed on the web - makes me want to give up
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:45 am

Jean Oakley wrote:Martyn, I hate to generalise but the two worst customers Ive ever had have both been 'Horsey' people. One ive just managed after 11 months to get paid for work done on their 4x4 and trailer and the other was a nightmare woman who made promises of loads of work, who have me do artwork (seriously 1-2 hours in my office) for ONE A4 print/ panel and then demanded i give her the artwork so she could print more of them off herself. She also wanted it in a format that she could alter the text and details if needed. She kept saying it was her artwork as she had told me where she wanted text and pictures putting :bangshead: . I eventually told her that as the artwork was on MY computer and not hers that the artwork was actually mine.

Your right we shouldnt generalise but 9 ties out of 10 our gut feeling is correct. Ive also had issues with many hairdressers :rollseyes:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:32 pm

The following bothers me for years.
This is happening to almost all suppliers.
The vinyl such and such will cost you £100 per roll.
But we sell this and that company for £80 per roll. (but they buy 5 rolls at the time)
My argument is: If you are letting the Arlon SLX (example) for £900 to Mr. Big, why are you charging a one man band £1300?!
I know this is how it works with almost any business, but I think suppliers should give best price to small business, business who don't have million £ contract, etc, etc.
Yes, life is not fair etc, but I like to moan a little or a least write about it here as a form of relief.
I'm happy to hear other opinions on this.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi Pane, think of it logically like you would your own business - say for instance you have a client that buys a single poster from you once a month and pays £10, the second buys multiple posters each month and spends £1000. Both of them ask for a discount - Which one would you give it to ? It’s not rocket science
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:04 am

Customers who have ideas of grandeur way beyond their financial means are the Bain of my life.

New hair and beauty salon opens up, they want a quote on 3D stainless steel lettering with nice pink lights behind, over the phone I advise her it’s going to be a minimum of £1500. That’s ok, please come out to quote. We attend and I quote, it’s actually £2100 plus vat

Week later we drive past ( it’s on our way to work) there’s a £50 banner up.

Customer requests a site visit, normally not a problem, but they are 45miniutes away, I ask them to tell me more about the job on the phone, turns out it’s a 1ft sign directing traffic to their car park. They placed the order but the lady seem put out we weren’t going to come out and look at the fence they’ll be putting it on...
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 am

Iain Pearson wrote:Hi Pane, think of it logically like you would your own business - say for instance you have a client that buys a single poster from you once a month and pays £10, the second buys multiple posters each month and spends £1000. Both of them ask for a discount - Which one would you give it to ? It’s not rocket science

Agreed to that kind of thinking Ian when you look from your angle, but the way I see it:
They are rolls in boxes waiting to be sent out. They don't especially make each of them to order, like we signmakers do with each of our orders. Suppliers have thousands boxes in a warehouse.
If they are happy to let that 1 product for X price, they should be happy to let another box at a same price. The pile of boxes is coming down. And that's what matter. But this is how I see it anyway.
I guess I'm thinning in this dimension at the moment - "Just because I don't eat lion, doesn't mean that he won't eat me."
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Customers who decide to relamp their own signs.
I have had this a few times and another one today
Quoted a perspex fascia job and asked do they want me to relamp at the same time - come back no we will do it ourselves.
Explain to them it's better that we do it and that its quite difficult off ladders but if they really must do it then relamp before we get on site as then they will only be dealing with old panels not our new ones.
Explain to them that they should not wait for us to remove the panels and then rush out and buy the tubes in the hope that we will put them in for free as we are always on a tight schedule.
So get to site today - No relamp they ask me what tubes they need we tell them and surprise surprise they turn up 45mins later with new tubes and get the hump because we have already fitted the new panels !!
Good luck removing 3m x 1m panels 16ft in the air where you must take off the top angle to remove the panels and the only place to put a ladder is onto the top of the sign!!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Pane Talev wrote:
Iain Pearson wrote:Hi Pane, think of it logically like you would your own business - say for instance you have a client that buys a single poster from you once a month and pays £10, the second buys multiple posters each month and spends £1000. Both of them ask for a discount - Which one would you give it to ? It’s not rocket science

Agreed to that kind of thinking Ian when you look from your angle, but the way I see it:
They are rolls in boxes waiting to be sent out. They don't especially make each of them to order, like we signmakers do with each of our orders. Suppliers have thousands boxes in a warehouse.
If they are happy to let that 1 product for X price, they should be happy to let another box at a same price. The pile of boxes is coming down. And that's what matter. But this is how I see it anyway.
I guess I'm thinning in this dimension at the moment - "Just because I don't eat lion, doesn't mean that he won't eat me."

Pane, trust me I feel your frustration, and I agree with your comments but sadly the large companies have the power to manipulate the market in most cases to suit themselves.
As annoying as it is, I don’t waste time worrying about it, I just go about my business the only way I know and do the very best for my clients
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Iain Pearson wrote:
Pane Talev wrote:

Pane, trust me I feel your frustration, and I agree with your comments but sadly the large companies have the power to manipulate the market in most cases to suit themselves.
As annoying as it is, I don’t waste time worrying about it, I just go about my business the only way I know and do the very best for my clients

It’s not that a worry a lot, I just try to be more persistent in getting a better price for myself.
Attachments
fbd24dd3f59271f82df7f1209f0037da.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:12 am

Customers who have ideas of grandeur way beyond their financial means are the Bain of my life.
yup hate these time wasters!

New café opening, have worked for owner before on smaller projects without issue.
'we want a moulded 3D sign like no one else has & digital wallpaper inside - money is no object'
3 visits & along with quotes

1 year later they still have the unlaminated foamex 'temporary' sign on the front & no digital wallpaper :rollseyes:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:37 am

Very self indulgent but my moan for the day is my FROZEN SHOULDER Anyone else had this lovely affliction? Not sure how im going to continue working as its appernetly an 18 month to 3 year problem. Feel like jacking it all in can barely drive never mind fit, laminate, weed or anything else grrrrr
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:45 am

Go see a (excuse my spelling) cyropractor (hopefully makes sense).

Both me and misses have had various problems over the years (never a frozen shoulder) but amazing what they can do when others give up.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am

Hi Chris, thanks for that, i do regulary see an oesteopath for my back and have used Chiroprators over the years too. Im actually in too much pain to be seen by any type of physio at the moment. Ive had an injection but now awaiting a much bigger one so hopefully this will help me. Just feeling very sorry for myself, wish i worked for someone as i would be off on the sick and able to rest.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Jean,

That sucks. Hoping for a speedy mend.
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 am

Sorry to hear that jean. Do you have anyone working for you that can take more control?

Its an unfortunate situation all of us small companies could find ourselves in, im guessing we should all have great insurances that would pay us huge amounts to sit with our feet up and rest but im guessing like myself and many others its not the case.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks guys, the insurance thing is a minefield and whatever you come down with you can bet its not 'on the list' That said i need to put this in perspective, Ive not lost a loved one or been told i have x amount of time left to live. I do have another person who has been with me for many years but im worried shes going to get fed up having to do physically most of the work and all of the driving. Ive cut back on the work and am turning any new customers away, just need to keep going and give myself less stress.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Jean Oakley wrote:Thanks guys, the insurance thing is a minefield and whatever you come down with you can bet its not 'on the list' That said i need to put this in perspective, Ive not lost a loved one or been told i have x amount of time left to live. I do have another person who has been with me for many years but im worried shes going to get fed up having to do physically most of the work and all of the driving. Ive cut back on the work and am turning any new customers away, just need to keep going and give myself less stress.
Hi Jean, Have you ever heard of "Bowen Therapy"? I had terrible problems with my shoulders which was put down to the way I was holding the rolls while loading our wide format machine, and also stretching my arms out when running 8x4 sheets through our laminator. Compared to normal physio it's very gentle and virtually pain free. Like yourself I was at the stage I could even let anyone touch me. Thankfully we have a Bowen specialist iny town, hopefully there's someone close to you to. One of my issues was I couldn't lift my left arm above shoulder height. She worked on my side and lower back and within 15 mins fixed that. The other problems however took a few more sessions to sort. Hopefully will work for you too, worth a try as you sound in terrible pain which if nothing else is very depressing :-(

https://www.naturaltherapypages.co.uk/m ... _Technique
Last edited by David Stevenson on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi David, funnily enough i was talking to a lady at an event yesterday and she was a Bowen Therepist. She asked me to call and come and see her. Ive tried acupucture as well but it didnt seem to help unfortunetly. I may give her a go, i have nothing to loose
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Jean Oakley wrote:Hi David, funnily enough i was talking to a lady at an event yesterday and she was a Bowen Therepist. She asked me to call and come and see her. Ive tried acupucture as well but it didnt seem to help unfortunetly. I may give her a go, i have nothing to loose
Not sure if you have a rollover table, we got one and since that I've had no problems with my shoulders. Expensive fix but couldn't do without our now for the speed it churns out jobs
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Jean Oakley wrote:Very self indulgent but my moan for the day is my FROZEN SHOULDER Anyone else had this lovely affliction? Not sure how im going to continue working as its appernetly an 18 month to 3 year problem. Feel like jacking it all in can barely drive never mind fit, laminate, weed or anything else grrrrr

I'm not convinced this actually belongs in the Moan section (unless you're "moaning" in agony). No this belongs in the "ailments" section and is a shameless hijacking of this thread...

Anyway, I feel it is my duty to get this back on line and I would like to contribute the following:-

Employees of large companies that expect you to call in and have a lengthy meeting to discuss their measly signage requirements when a simple phone call or email would be more than sufficient to convey the information required to do a quotation for one small measly sign...

PS - I hope you're feeling better soon Jean :wink: When I did my back in last year I got a large inflateable ball and used to lie on this which helped to stretch my spine and provided almost instant relief for what I think may have been a slipped disc
<<

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Phill Fenton wrote:PS - I hope you're feeling better soon Jean

He buckled even before getting his post finished. :lol: :lol:

Well my shoulder is knackered, i tore the rotary cuff several months ago and still in agony. thank god i dont need it for wrapping and applying vinyl or something. :awkward: :shake:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm starting to think sign writing should be classed as a dangerous job. Everyone seems to be slowly falling apart :-(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 am

Blimey you lot, may sure your wearing the uksignboards approved PPE equipment for signmakers! :shocked:
Attachments
PPE.jpg
PPE.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi Rob, On top of my frozen should i also have a partial tear of the rotary cuff just to add to my woes :yikes:
<<

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:52 am

Colin... that's were it is heading mate.

Jean... I didn't even know what a rotary cuff was till I done mine. Some days I am in pain, some not. But actually using my shoulder for anything above chest height and I am beat. Pain is unreal. Was told 6 months minimum with no use or its surgery and another 6-12 months recovery. Nightmare!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Rob, i really do feel your pain, I got a cancellation appointment at our local hospital Thursday afetrnoon. Very lucky as it is a world renowned orthopedic hospital and literally ten minutes away. Had a massive injection under ultrasound, Been given exercises and told ill be 90% better in four weeks.....watch this space
Last edited by Jean Oakley on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Learnt my lesson today. Got asked to produce one of those children’s menus you see in pubs. Colouring and puzzles on one side menu on the other. She pooped in today, yes that looks great. How much is it going to be, Shet eyes popped out of her face, thought it would only be £30....

Broke my golden rule of taking a deposit always. Lost nearly a day on it
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am

Had the same problem with my shoulder. 6 months since my op and still not 100%.
Had to have 2 holidays in between to give it extra rest!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:37 pm

This is half a moan/half a view point.

Last week we had a job to get on with. I put 2 (really 3) on the job to get through it at a fair and steady pace.

However it became clear on Friday that I would be in all weekend to finish the job.

So I brought it up the morning. Which has lead to one peed off workshop today.

Over the weekend I weed 90 backs in 6 hours (quite complex) pressed 160 of the said backs in and hour and half and then 36 sleeves in 25mins.

Contrast this to the boys. Between 2 of them (one part time we recently took in) it took them 14 hours to do 82 backs. The other lad, was taking over 2 minutes a sleeve effectively...

I brought this up this morning but the finger has been pointed at my mismanagement instead of being able to go faster or was there to much carry on. I’ve thought about this and although one of the boys is trained to the run the print machine.. I also going through a stack of work on my own on Thursday/Friday which they could not do.

I am always fair. Am not the fastest and it don’t expect the boys to go as fast as me, however surely 1 sleeve per minute and a logo every 6 mins (like I was told was the case as this job was done when I was away on holiday perviously).. and not.. well I don’t even know.. around 10 minutes providing the part time boy was doing nothing.

So you guys are a good jury. Am I taking the mick and being unfair, or being taken for a mug?
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:14 am

Chris Wilson wrote:This is half a moan/half a view point.

Last week we had a job to get on with. I put 2 (really 3) on the job to get through it at a fair and steady pace.

However it became clear on Friday that I would be in all weekend to finish the job.

So I brought it up the morning. Which has lead to one peed off workshop today.

Over the weekend I weed 90 backs in 6 hours (quite complex) pressed 160 of the said backs in and hour and half and then 36 sleeves in 25mins.

Contrast this to the boys. Between 2 of them (one part time we recently took in) it took them 14 hours to do 82 backs. The other lad, was taking over 2 minutes a sleeve effectively...

I brought this up this morning but the finger has been pointed at my mismanagement instead of being able to go faster or was there to much carry on. I’ve thought about this and although one of the boys is trained to the run the print machine.. I also going through a stack of work on my own on Thursday/Friday which they could not do.

I am always fair. Am not the fastest and it don’t expect the boys to go as fast as me, however surely 1 sleeve per minute and a logo every 6 mins (like I was told was the case as this job was done when I was away on holiday perviously).. and not.. well I don’t even know.. around 10 minutes providing the part time boy was doing nothing.

So you guys are a good jury. Am I taking the mick and being unfair, or being taken for a mug?

Your being fair chris. Unfortunatly i think your case is a common one in that the only person that really gives a monkeys about your business, earning money and putting a good days work in is you! There are exceptions out there where you get a "gooden", genuine hard worker that wants to learn and do as he should.

Its a problem i have thought about for years, although im just a one man band its often come into my head to take the next step but i know the production speed and quality would decrease compared to myself so would it really work out financially.

If i was in your position i think i would let the lads know that your not happy (which you have done) let them know that you are onto them (which you have done) and hopefully things improve on there own. If they dont then its clear you have some (oh i swore !) takers and dead wood.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 am

A year ago I had two members of staff leave for reasons I won’t go in to here. I replaced two full time staff with a new full time employee and instantly our productivity went up.
Compared to the previous year our turnover has increased by nearly a third (with one less member of staff)

Don’t be afraid of losing staff, you’ll know when you have a good one and you’ll do everything you can to keep them!

Put a job advert out, that’ll keep the current ones on their toes or you might just find someone that’s better than both of them put together!

Good luck!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:56 am

Its very frustrating when you feel like this. I lost a member of staff a year ago. He wasnt the fastest and needed daily poking but i liked him and he was an extra pair of hands. My other member of staff started to work an extra 6 hours a week and i started doing more hands on work. Something id been purposely hanging back on. Ive lengthened my lead time and not lost any customers. All in all a year on we are turning over slightly more with one less body to pay for. Id think about sitting them down individually and having a chat about where they feel this job is going and explain you expect more from them. See if they step up or step out. good luck
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am

So the customer we do the programmes for, decided to get a 'volunteer' to produce the artwork this month...

It's the day of the match and we've not seen any artwork, next match is weekend and that's going to be unlikely too after yesterdays shinanigans with deliveries not arriving we're running a day behind.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am

Another half a moan/half a view point.
Never under charge a job while thinking - Its only a print job. I will start the printer and do something else...
It never works that way... (corrupted files, gradients effects...)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:48 am

Jean Oakley wrote:Rob, i really do feel your pain, I got a cancellation appointment at our local hospital Thursday afetrnoon. Very lucky as it is a world renowned orthopedic hospital and literally ten minutes away. Had a massive injection under ultrasound, Been given exercises and told ill be 90% better in four weeks.....watch this space

POSTED A WHILE BACK BUT A THIRD INJECTION AND FINALLY SURGERY IN jANUARY HAS 80% FIXED THE SHOULDER.
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:43 pm

That’s good news Jean. It’s long time to be in pain with a squeegee in your hand.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 pm

yes it was sorry just realised i was SHOUTING :smiles:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Nice one!

Now this thread has come up I feel the need to tell you all that I have concluded that most “graphic designers” are #########%+*?€~¥. Honestly. As useful as a wet paper bag.

Your client has given you landscape dimensions. Why is this portrait.

Your clients just collected your poster menus. Why did you not put in the photos in the artwork?

Why can’t you send me a complete file

Why can’t your send me a file with the 57 layers in the correct order

Why is your A4 sizes graphic 700GB on we transfer

Why is it still portrait and not landscape

No it’s not ready
It’s been 10 minutes since you last called it’s still not ready.

It’s still portrait

There is still no photos on the file just blank spaces.

Why are all the drinks menus priced wrong.

Clients just picked up the menus, why did you change the ml and % to same colour as the background.

Shakes head. 5 of them I believe in two days. All for rush jobs for big clients, none of which should have been a rush should they have stuck to time scales.
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Agree almost entirely Chris. Apart from the bit about ‘most graphic designers are ****s.
I think it’s far more than that. Much prefer the word documents or crudely drawn pictures from ‘normal’ clients.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:09 pm

I have used the term 'felt tip fairies' far too much lately thanks to Kevin!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:15 pm

and why do they put text 2mm from the edge.... with no bleed....
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Spent today printing files from a company in New Zealand. Their graphic design people sent across the files that are to be printed & mounted onto 8 x 4 sheets. For delivery to Scotland by Tuesday. Still doable right? No bleed, fonts not converted to paths, vector logos flatted into background images, the list goes on. I’m not the most tolerant bloke in the world when it comes to work but these people should really be taken outside & shot. It’s the kindest thing to do in the long run. Bear in mind Gil, that comment was me being restrained, I’ve got much worse than that in the armory
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Kevin Mahoney wrote:Spent today printing files from a company in New Zealand. Their graphic design people sent across the files that are to be printed & mounted onto 8 x 4 sheets. For delivery to Scotland by Tuesday. Still doable right? No bleed, fonts not converted to paths, vector logos flatted into background images, the list goes on. I’m not the most tolerant bloke in the world when it comes to work but these people should really be taken outside & shot. It’s the kindest thing to do in the long run. Bear in mind Gil, that comment was me being restrained, I’ve got much worse than that in the armory

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat