my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Weighted banner hanging from Crane, advice please?

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Weighted banner hanging from Crane, advice please?

Me again folks.

We do a fair few banners that are double sided and we normally wrap the banner round a 20mm wooden dowel at the bottom to add a bit of weight, which is fine for shop displays.

However this week I have a crane in which the boom will be extended full and the client wants a double sided banner to hang from it. My first thought was a scaffold to pole to add extra weight to stop it blowing in the wind (I’ve already explained it needs to be taken down or not up at all if it’s fairly blowey). However am now worried this might fall out if it tips to either side.

So open to suggestions? Or any frame kits?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:17 am

Re: Weighted banner

What ever you do, make him sign a disclaimer freeing you of all responsibity
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 am

Denise Goodfellow wrote:What ever you do, make him sign a disclaimer freeing you of all responsibity

I can picture the lawsuits... :shocked:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I'd be looking for a frame system of some type for definate. You could possibly make something using electrical pvc conduit and 90 degree elbows. The scaffolding bar might be a bit to dangerous should if fall, that been said it still has its dangers
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Scaffold pole is defo' a no-no!!!

Not sure what height & size of banner you looking at but, even with a disclaimer you'll still need to explain your work methods & precautions taken in manufacture to HSE should there be an accident.

If the banner failed, what will prevent a weight from failing and causing injury? (what safety system is in place - secondary safety fixing etc).
If the banner failed, how have you limited the amount debris failing?

We'd be looking at a mesh banner with sewn pocket for rope.
Mesh banner to reduce sail effect / wind shear, sewn pocket with rope to add stiffness and act as fixings, reducing the amount 'loose' items, fixing rope to travel to ground level to secure with warning sign indicating overhead dangers.
We'd avoid using a secondary attached weights at the bottom of the banner, if we did add a weight, a secondary safety cable would be added to the weight.
<<

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Weighted banner hanging from Crane, advice please?

Unless a perfectly calm day. the banner will get spun and swung about all over the place.
It would need to be anchored, if anchored the strength of the banner will come into place. i doubt lasting long.

If a crane can be afforded to sit idle holding this banner all day long... why not revert from this idea and just have a helium advert blimp anchored to the ground by something like a concrete block. the company supplying the blimp will advise on what's best for anchoring and most likely supply that too.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi
best thing you can do is to have 50mm webbing sewn in (like ratchet strap) this allows you to tension the banner between the crane and say a weight on the floor. Have also done it so ratchet strap goes through pocket top and bottom from a building to a tree
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:38 pm

I would agree with Robert’s suggestion of a blimp, double sided & better visibility than a mesh banner with only sky behind it, could look a bit washed out, but with ropes would be fairly safe.
I think the scaffold pole weight is terrifying to be honest, sounds like a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Could you fill the pocket at the bottom with some sand and weld it all up so it stays in there.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Ended up just building a frame with multiple fixing points, some second looped. Customer was happy and it worked ok.

Return to General Sign Topics