my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Will you do a job that make YOU and the client look bad?

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:22 am

Will you do a job that make YOU and the client look bad?

Good day all,

Client approves van wrap with bad resolution/ pixalated photos. He is happy to pay in advance and have the work done.

Will you do a job that makes YOU and the client look bad?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Re: Will you do a job that make YOU and the client look bad?

Personally, No, I have turned down a No of jobs recently, which when completed have all looked as I suspected!!

One job.. get this.. customer turns up in a huge 70's caddilac in fresh primer, he wrapped chrome gold, I told him it would be around £3k in materials (for a seamless finish) before labour, and that they paint job will need to be good, he then said they weren't painting it as wanted it wrapped onto the primer, he thought it would be cheaper than painting it,.. I refused to do the job due to 100% failure rate guaranteed.. despite the protestations that it would be ok I declined..

A couple of months later I heard it'd been wrapped... a few weeks back I saw the car had been wrapped in a turquoise film, the installation itself was about as good as could've been achieved on a car too big to wrap in whole pieces on the roof /rear qtrs and bonnet, but as I had suspected, after maybe 6 months it was already pulling out of even slight curves and recesses, was peeling back from edges, and where the chrome side trim had been GLUED back onto the wrap film, the film was pulling off of the primer below!

I don't know why any business would put their name to doing such a job, I don't know who did do it but there aren't many round here who wrap, all this guys mates will know who wrapped it and that was enough for me to turn it down!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Again its a NO,

I'm sure once done both parties would regret it, especially the customer once his mates etc tell him how naff the pictures look.

Word would get back that You done the job and You should have advised him better. Not worth tarnishing your name for IMO

Bad news sure travels faster than good news

Similar scenario to Hugh
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Agree with Hugh, No.
We have a reputation for high quality work and have rejected jobs before on quality issues, carefully explaining reasons & how to correct, or quote for correcting in-house.

Whatever is worth doing at all, is worth doing well; and nothing can be done well without attention
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Nope, I've got a plumbers van in just now. On the back he wants me to write "Don't sleep with that drip, call Plumb.......4U"
He can't understand why having something like that could cost him work instead of gaining it. So far i've refused to put it on
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Thank you all.
After reading your answers I feel better about what I've done.
The whole story in full.
Client approved the job, saying that is all he has. (after seeing the pixaleted prints and signed on them ok for print)
Client went on holiday.
Before printing, I decided to search online (Google offers a service where you can upload a photo and will tell you where this photo is on the net - I swear I did not know this feature exist) for the same images on IStock photos. I was lucky and found the 3 photos in question.
I spent 70 quid for all photos and later put them on the invoice.
The project was finished and client was very happy. He was very happy that the wrap was super crisp with the high resolution photos!
When invoice was emailed to him - client complained about the 70 quid, and said that he was happy with bad resolution photo.
I deleted the 70 quid charge and he was happy again.
With this result, I'm proud to say that I've done that job.
...but that costed me 70 quid.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 pm

To be fair, you can advise until you’re blue in the face, if he goes ahead against your superior marketing knowledge, it’s his money & his business he’s playing with. If you have a full order book, respectfully decline, if you don’t, get signed proofs & take his money. We get quite precious about our artwork but it’s lost on a lot of customers who still say ‘ I want me van stickered up’ . The purge can’t come quick enough in my view but someone will take their money & not care
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 pm

I’ve done similar myself Pane, though I got paid.

Had one recently who sent a shocking logo for a feather flag, I advised that it needed redrawing for another £40 due to quality concerns, cost would include a pdf sent of new logo for their future use.. my offer was declined.

Flag delivered direct to them as I ordered before going on hols, day it was due to be delivered I get a message saying they’re not happy with quality, I explained that the quality was flagged with them and an option given to redraw ... blah blah... told them I’d replace with a 25% discount on my return but, the £40 will be charged to redraw the logo.. not heard a thing since, no doubt my name is mud!!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:04 pm

I’m still searching for the magic key on the keyboard that you press to make a thumbnail jpg file into a fully vectored eps, anyone know where it is? My customers swear blind I have one
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Had this a few weeks ago when a customer phoned me wondering if i could sticker his now ex mrs nissan juke with Debbie is a f#$king dirty cheating cow haha it was swiftly declined haha
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Kevin Mahoney wrote:I’m still searching for the magic key on the keyboard that you press to make a thumbnail jpg file into a fully vectored eps, anyone know where it is? My customers swear blind I have one

I have a forward button to unique art services.. get used more than anything else.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 am

Chris Wilson wrote:
Kevin Mahoney wrote:I’m still searching for the magic key on the keyboard that you press to make a thumbnail jpg file into a fully vectored eps, anyone know where it is? My customers swear blind I have one

I have a forward button to unique art services.. get used more than anything else.

Are they still working? last time I needed them I emailed from three different email accounts and still got nothing back, except bounced emails.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:52 am

Hi Hugh,
Yea. For me anyway.
Tried dropping you a email at the time but never got one back. Thought you had maybe got them.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:26 pm

It was worth it Pane.
The good job will pay you back many times over.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Chris Wilson wrote:Hi Hugh,
Yea. For me anyway.
Tried dropping you a email at the time but never got one back. Thought you had maybe got them.

Sorry Chris, just searched and can't find an email form you but thanks for trying! I can at least now see their website again! Will go back to them as they were very good. A recent place I've been using has been hit and miss, mucho auto-traceeeoo!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:28 pm

I am another one who would have said no but having an Invaliding Pension from the RN makes it a bit easier for me to turn jobs down :lol:

Something that might be worth looking at is Photozoom Pro which I first read about on this forum a long time ago, it won't perform miracles but does go a long way towards helping prevent pixelation when enlarging bitmaps :lol: :lol:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:51 am

Whilst not wrapping vehicles I still get the issue all the time and ultimately if I don't think something will look right then I wont make it. Had a guy who wanted some magnetics who got his designer to make the artwork to size for me but despite telling him 100 times it does not matter how your designer puts a jpg of your logo into another format it will always be a picture file, after several weeks the guys designer admitted he never created the logo and just used a web creator for a fiver job LOL. Sent it off for redraw and showed customer the two versions using the new vector and he was speechless seems he had quite a bit of stuff done using the old logo without anyone mentioning it.

Return to General Printing Topics