• TIMELINE

GDPR and wether we need to comply!!

<<

Neil Davey

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed May 23, 2018 12:32 pm

GDPR and wether we need to comply!!

Hi all, just wondered what you're all doing regarding this GDPR thing!
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed May 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: GDPR and wether we need to comply!!

I'm ignoring it completely hoping it will go away.

Seriously though - there are so many rules and regulations in this country now, I doubt very much that I'm not breaking someone's rules and regulations on a daily basis during my miserable existance.. :awkward: :bangshead:
<<

Neil Davey

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm

I've been ignoring it too Phill, I think I'll wait till I get fined £17,000,000 as was mentioned on the radio earlier!! :yikes:
Last edited by Neil Davey on Wed May 23, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Derek Heron

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed May 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Neil Davey wrote:I've been ignoring it to Phill, I think I'll wait till I get fined £17,000,000 as was mentioned on the radio earlier!! :yikes:

phils public liability should cover the fine :smiles:
<<

Hugh Potter

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Derek Heron wrote:
Neil Davey wrote:I've been ignoring it to Phill, I think I'll wait till I get fined £17,000,000 as was mentioned on the radio earlier!! :yikes:

phils public liability should cover the fine :smiles:

With a whopping £3.75 of PL cover, Phill has been served just fine like that since 1873 !!
<<

Jasper McEwan

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed May 23, 2018 3:02 pm

What a nightmare this topic is...

I've had so many emails through asking for consent from companies I've never heard of its unreal. Furthermore, if you are B2B then consent is just one way of complying, there are 5 other ways to comply, one of the most interesting is legitimate interest. So hopefully, if your customers use products you sell then legitimate interest should cover the communication side of GDPR.

It's worth noting, the guy that presented this course told us a number of times that unless it is a serious breach of GDPR then it is unlikely the ICO would fine you. They are more interested in educating and helping companies become compliant. If you keep ignoring them then that would be a different story.

Hope this helps :)
<<

Simon Worrall

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed May 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Its a europe thing. It will be not out problem by next year. lol.
<<

Colin Crabb

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed May 23, 2018 7:25 pm

52,209 emails sent via mailchimp - that's £500ish quid for GDRP...……. :evil:
<<

Paul Hodges

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu May 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Simon Worrall wrote:Its a europe thing. It will be not out problem by next year. lol.

Yet more pointless bureaucracy from the EU, something else they dreamed up to justify their existence
<<

Hugh Potter

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 pm

to be fair, is it really a bad thing?

We all get emails from companies we either do not want to, or no longer wish to. I've used this as a great way to thin out dozens of automated emails from companies I've not used in years, from those who send out too much, from those I never wanted to hear from in the first place.. etc.

Do we as small businesses send out hundreds of emails? I don't, I only ever contact people as and when required, I've considered it on occasion but I don't know if it really brings more repeat custom than if I don't!
<<

Kevin Mahoney

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 25, 2018 6:47 am

More jobs for the boys in Brussels I’m afraid. There will be some redundant department in the EU that have been given something else to do rather than let go.
Most of the irrelevant marketing emails I get will have an unsubscribe button on them, couple of minutes in the morning & they’re all gone. We don’t use any other ways of advertising our services than the van & the website, & like Hugh, only contact our customers during the project. We never contact them with special offers ( because we never have any ) so unless a stuffed shirt with a clipboard & a European accent comes knocking, I won’t be doing anything except deleting emails.
<<

Colin Crabb

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 25, 2018 8:09 am

Hope all of you with CCTV has the correct signage for GDPR :lol: & have registered with ICO.
It's not just about email newsletters, CCTV is counted as personal data under GDPR......
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am

Supposedly keeping a note of a registration number is personal too, as you could identify an individual from it :rollseyes:

I've updated our privacy policy on the website, enabled a tick box on our contact form. We don't bother with e-mail marketing, and don't run special offers either, so not much changes here.

I had a barrage of e-mails asking if I still wanted to receive their newsletters... I've declined them all, most of them I'd never heard of.
<<

James Bateman

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am

We had a good look into it and fortunately, the only sections that seems to apply to us are; tightening up on data security and updating the website privacy policy. I'd say the same probably applies to you guys as well (and updating the policy serves as a bit of insurance, should someone become unnecessarily interested in your business).

We have only been contacted once (one client's 'compliance officer' asked for the updated policy), which did prompt us to get everything updated on the website.

In the end, we used a GDPR template generator which helped build our policy in under an hour. Cost 20 quid, but could save our bacon in the future.

Fortunately, we don't send marketing emails and probably never will. The following articles help clear things up in simple terms that hopefully won't bore anyone too much:

Wired article that explains in reality, everything we have been receiving might just be a 'knee-jerk' mass panic: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/pecr-gdpr-emails

GDPR explained for small businesses: https://www.xero.com/uk/resources/small ... -advisors/

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat