my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Metamark digital vinyl issues

<<

Darren Lines

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 am

Metamark digital vinyl issues

Since about September last year, we've been noticing issues with Metamark digital vinyls peeling off surfaces. No problems at all with the cut vinyl (M4 or M7) but pretty much everything printed has needed to be fixed or replaced. This is MD3, MD5, and Clearvision fitted to flex material, glass (not self-cleaning), and aluminium composite panels.

I have a panel in the workshop now where the vinyl has been fitted for a week, but the edges are starting to lift and the vinyl can be peeled of with no effort whatsoever. If there's cut vinyl and digital vinyl on the same substrate, put on at the same time, using the same technique, the cut vinyl will be fine, but the digital will lift. I've been doing this with the same technique using the same printer and vinyls for years, and have never had these issues. I'm wondering if the adhesive has changed as a cost cutting exercise?

Is anyone else having similar issues?
<<

Kevin Mahoney

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am

Re: Metamark digital vinyl issues

Had similar issues with MD5 around the time they launched the MDX material. They had a sample of the material back & the response was ‘there is no issue with the material, we can only assume that it was installed incorrectly ‘ . We switched to image perfect instantly, never looked back. You could bet the farm on MD5 at one time, was a fantastic material to work with but in my experience it felt different to what we were used to so we had no choice but to stop using it.
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 am

What printer & ink are you using?
Are they laminated?
Are you outgassing before laminating or fitting?
Is it their Metascape adhesive?

We've been users of Metamark for years, and touch wood not had an issue. Be interested to see what others experiences are.
<<

Kevin Mahoney

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 am

We have always used Roland printers, nazdar ink, out gas print for 48 hours before laminating & know the limits of a good quality polymeric, I personally think MD5 had changed in the way it was being manufactured but that aside, if failures were becoming more common, we had to find an alternative. Shame really, used it for 15 years & it was bulletproof
<<

Daniel Evans

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 am

What range of image perfect material matches MD3 and MD5?

I've personally not had an issue but always nice to keep track of how materials are performing for others.
<<

Colin Crabb

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:40 am

We're going through 300m+ per week on a range of Metamark products, all printed on HP Latex machines.
Never had any issues at all - highly rate Metamark media, for use over the last couple of years it has been a perfect performer.
<<

Darren Lines

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:43 am

David Hammond wrote:What printer & ink are you using?
Are they laminated?
Are you outgassing before laminating or fitting?
Is it their Metascape adhesive?

We've been users of Metamark for years, and touch wood not had an issue. Be interested to see what others experiences are.

I'm using a Mimaki JV3 (same printer I've been using for about 8 years with no issues) with Nazdar ink (been using that for about 4-5 years with no issues). All prints are allowed to outgas before laminating or fitting for 48 hours (24 hrs absolute minimum with occasional jobs). This is using the standard adhesive, not metascape. Funnily enough, we use M7A metascape for cut vinyl and that works flawlessly.

As I say, we had no problems with the Metamark digital vinyl til about September last year. Nothing has changed our end.
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Almost exclusively use MD3 for print work. Gloss white with gloss clear as the laminate NOT metaguard as it saves me carrying added materials as we reverse print a lot of windows and plaques.

JV3 (160) and Nazdar Lyson 1300 inks.

It is an 'easy / clean peel' although permanent adhesive but never had any lifting issues on composite, pvc, acrylic, glass or vehicle paint. Fit all composite, pvc and vehicles dry...mixture of wet on glass and acrylic.

I highly recommend wrapping the edges of panels wherever possible as any 'edge creep' after fitting can roll back the unprotected edge after a couple of years on external panels that get sun baked... especially if heavy ink coverage as the solvent inks definitely damage the adhesives.

Return to Vinyl