• TIMELINE

Boarding a wall and applying graphics

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:08 am

Boarding a wall and applying graphics

Hey everyone

Not normally my kind of work but I need to cover a wall with printed boards. Basically, I'm needing to smarten up the wall and add some imagery. I can't really use wallpaper as they're not smooth and to be honest, they're not in that great a shape.

First of all, what material is best to use? Foamboard, composite...

How do you apply the boards?

Personally, I was thinking of installing battens along the wall to give the wall an even surface and then to apply the boards to those.

Now, should I go down this route do I screw the boards onto the battens or do I use an adhesive?

Do I apply the graphics to the boards in the workshop and then apply on the job or do I fit the boards and then apply the graphics?

If screwed, would you fill the screws holes / counter sink them?

If using adhesive, what is the best to use?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: Boarding a wall and applying graphics

what type of a wall is it < I done some recently and used 3mm hoarding sheeting, applied the print to the sheets once they were installed so that the joints were different from the sheets and it worked really well . once the battens are straight its an easy job , I did have to use some packers on several battens as the wall was uneven
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 pm

what type of a wall is it < I done some recently and used 3mm hoarding sheeting, applied the print to the sheets once they were installed so that the joints were different from the sheets and it worked really well . once the battens are straight its an easy job , I did have to use some packers on several battens as the wall was uneven
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi Patrick, the wall is made from breeze blocks, as it stands it’s just painted white but it needs to be smarter. When you say hoarding board is that composite?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 am

When you say hoarding board is that composite?

Daniel, hording board is about the cheapest ACM you can buy, has a thinner aluminium skin & is only powder coated on one side, back is mill finish. Basically designed for shorter term use but is perfectly suitable for a job like this.

I did a few jobs years ago where the customer wanted this kind of thing to cover an old internal brick wall, did it pretty much the same way Patrick has described, bit like building a stud partition wall only with thinner wood, once frame is fitted then secure boards to frame & then apply graphics :lol:
Not sure about cost but it might actually be cheaper to use plasterboard & then wallpaper, don't own a printer so no idea about cost of printable wallpaper against a self adhesive vinyl :lol: :lol:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks Martin. How do you bond the board to the frame? If screwed do you fill and rub down the holes and joins like you would plasterboard?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Batten our the wall and screw on plasterboard, bit of filler over joints & screw heads, will work with vinyl or wallpaper, I have used vinyl for this side of the wall and will use wallpaper on the inside
[img]https://www.uksignboards.com/mobile-gallery/2ab2b13e13804692f35043c9b645a48b.jpg[/img]
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 pm

I just used screws, countersunk the holes & made sure the heads were never sticking out at all :lol: :lol:

You could fill & then sand/level but I never did, once the vinyl was applied you couldn't see them :lol: :lol:

I was careful to make sure the boards butted together neatly so there wasn't really a gap worth speaking about, if I were doing my own unit I might look at using plasterboard. Really depend on the cost difference between the materials & how many sheets you need :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 pm

What about wall wrap Daniel ?
if the wall doesn't have huge holes in it, then wall wrap could be the way forward.
Less fuss, half the time to install and if you want to change the image in the future, its a simple remove/replace scenario

Worth considering ?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks Iain, did consider it but they want a smooth Matt finish. Think I might use plasterboard or hoarding board but I might fill the holes to make sure and do a test without filling for the future.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:35 am

Arlon DPF8000 with Matt Laminate. We've applied this directly to a lime washed uneven brick wall at a national trust property. Works a treat :thumbsup:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Just to point out Daniel that the jobs I was talking about were done many years ago & at that time things like digital wallpaper & wall wraps didn't exist at all or if they did were something that wasn't widely known about :lol: :lol:
I don't really know a lot about either but it I were asked about that sort of job now I would certainly take the time to find out more as a possible option :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to General Sign Topics