Categories
  • TIMELINE

Planning Application For Signage

<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:55 am

Hi all i need to get planning Application for signage but this needs to be up before Christmas, I’ve heard it can take up-to 6 weeks I’ve started on the planning Portal and filled in most the forms, but i’ve now come to a halt as its asking for Planned drawings 1:25 1:50 and also a visual drawings etc,
Im asking if anyone can send examples of how detailed drawings need to be on visuals , just worried now as needs to be passed and you have to pay before they accept or not accept your Application, !!
<<

Ewan Chrystal

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:04 am

Re: Planning Application For Signage

I usually leave planning to my customer. You should be able to get retrospective planning once the sign is up as long as it meets all the requirements.
Attached is all i send to my local council and seems to be enough
Attachments
once upon a time 1-20 scale.pdf
(123.45 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
<<

Colin Crabb

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Yes, we always leave to customer & yes 6 weeks is pretty standard (can be a lot longer, our client has temporary foamex signs up at the moment, as planning from August is still under consideration).

Be careful about retrospective planning, normal it's fine.... but we had a client that was forced to remove the lighting as planning was refused, another due to colour scheme in an AONB - rare but happens - this is why we leave it to the customer to apply.

You should also be able to search your local planning applications and see what kind of drawings have been supplied - I've seen everything from high-quality scaled tech drawings to sketches created in Microsoft word.
<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Colin Crabb wrote:Yes, we always leave to customer & yes 6 weeks is pretty standard (can be a lot longer, our client has temporary foamex signs up at the moment, as planning from August is still under consideration).

Be careful about retrospective planning, normal it's fine.... but we had a client that was forced to remove the lighting as planning was refused, another due to colour scheme in an AONB - rare but happens - this is why we leave it to the customer to apply.

You should also be able to search your local planning applications and see what kind of drawings have been supplied - I've seen everything from high-quality scaled tech drawings to sketches created in Microsoft word.

Thanks Colin from now on I’m not going to get involved and in planning its to much of a Headache
<<

Ewan Chrystal

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Our council produced an advertisement and signage policy booklet which is about the only useful thing they have done. Its too big to upload here but if anyone wants a copy message me with your email and i can send it as pdf
<<

Colin Crabb

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Government general guidelines for Outdoor advertisements and signs:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 326679.pdf

Local authorities should also publish guidelines like yours has Ewan, normally listed like 'Shop Fronts & Shop Signs' or 'Shop Front Policies', we have a few dozen of these documents around the place!
<<

Colin Bland

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:38 pm

We always make planning the responsibility of the client - and do plenty of jobs where the client takes a chance !
But if pushed we will produce drawings and apply -generally we find the more professional this is the quicker the application will go through. For this you will generally need a front elevation of the building 1:50 scale with existing signage indicated and then the same elevation with the proposed signage drawn . The drawing should also have a side section through the building and the signage, indicating heights above ground to signs and any signage projections off the building. We then provide a coloured visual of the sign giving specification of the sign. They also require a 1:1250 site plan from ordnance survey we use buyaplan.com seem to be the cheapest. With regards to timing we have had applications in our local town where it takes 3 weeks to register the application and 8 weeks to determine we have also had applications in central London determined within 10 days it really is luck of the draw
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:42 pm

We too make planning the clients responsibility. We explicity mention planning & permission not only from the council but landlords too.

We're based in one council area, surrounded by different authorities, each with their own ideas. If asked (we never have) we'll happily supply drawings as required.
<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Colin Crabb wrote:Government general guidelines for Outdoor advertisements and signs:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 326679.pdf

Local authorities should also publish guidelines like yours has Ewan, normally listed like 'Shop Fronts & Shop Signs' or 'Shop Front Policies', we have a few dozen of these documents around the place!

Yes i have this one Colin, and its about as much use as a chocolate teacup!

It doesn’t explain to the business what they need to do and just looks to involved
<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Thank you for all your comments so basically what you’re all saying is don’t get involved in planning Application & leave it to the customer !
<<

Colin Bland

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:25 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say that Jamie - we view it as a necessary evil when required and make sure that we get paid in advance for providing the service
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 am

Check out the Goverments Town & Country Planning Doc most businesses have some sort of deemed consent for signage, issues come in forms of illumination etc.

Kev

Return to General Sign Topics