Categories
  • TIMELINE

Ventilation from Ink Smell

<<

Ben Hansen

3 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Ventilation from Ink Smell

Hey guys, hope your all good. I was just wondering if anyone has any tricks or ideas for ventilation. We have been running a Roland Sp54i for a few years and recently bought a Roland XR640 on Eco Sol Max 3 Inks. With the Sp we never really did anything about the smell but since getting the XR there is a big difference in the smell. Apart from the obvious, door opening,and drilling a hole in the wall. I was just wondering if there was somehthing i could do? instead of sucking the hot air out of the room so to speak :)

Thanks
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: Ventilation from Ink Smell

Good to see you on the boards Ben...

i know what you mean with sucking the warm air out the room.
in the past we had two decent sized fans.
one extracting the air out the room which was just above the printers.
a second one sucking IN air from outside.
this worked great and was only used when heavy print periods happened but as you say... you have a nice warm room and the hot air is sucked out in minutes. worse, when the second fan is sucking in cool fresh air.

I think a way round it is to have your printers located in a small partitioned clean room.
it means the machines are in the right temp / environment, but in high production mode your in the next room out the way if the smell kicks up. plus a small extraction fan would suit better in a small dedicated print room.

alternatively, there are extraction units available. i seen these a long time ago but cannot locate where!!!
i have done a quick search and found the following. im sure some googling will find you something local.

You also see large inline extraction units that sit directly above big printers. a bit like you get above a cooker!
Also keep in mind how/where you dry your prints will create a high level of solvent fumes.

http://www.purex.co.uk/news/newsview/31

solvent-fumes-control.png

Hope this helps some...
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 am

I find wearing one of these at work helps...mind you, answering the phone can be a bit tricky :awkward:
Attachments
gas-mask.jpg
<<

Mariusz Czarnota

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 am

I wish to ask for advice as well about ventilation for eco sol max 2 roland printer. I know roland dont require ventilation equipment but their MSDS say that air flow must be adequate..
I'm currently converting my garage to print room, insulated already and managed to get there radiator connected, but there is no windows and it isn't enough airflow there even if open garage doors slightly up, which also isn't ideal due to rain / dust etc. getting into room. I'm thinking about fan with automatic shutters like this one :
fan.png

Its got reversible controller, so can I use it to extract air and then pump in some fresh air, or i should install 2x (one in and one out) which should be on at same time? Also is that should be mounted above printer or under (behind) on wall where printed is located? Due to are intake option I'm afraid about dust to be collected from ground level... Just read that some recommend to install fans on floor level as solvents are heavier then air. Room is only 26m3, would 9" fan be enough? There is also 12" version but its a it too big whole needed for that.. I also thinking about something like IqAir Purifier. Is anyone use this, is got hepa filters as well so good for dust and carbon filter but I dont print that much and also wouldn't spend there all day as computer desk and office got at home, where I designing etc.. Just want to be safe, I know most dont even bother about ventilation using eco solvents but I'm got some worries and wish to have any advice please. Any other solutions? Was thinking about windows but cant find right size..
Thanks in advance
<<

Denise Goodfellow

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:32 am

We had to have a couple of things in the new shop dictated by building regs.

Garage area, a fan sucking air out controlled by a pir sensor. So when someone's picked up moving about it does on. Cost about £300

Then we have a heat exchange system, where stale are is swapped for fresh air, but the fresh air is warmed to the same temp as the stake air. Ours were quite costly as it depends on the size of the building, but you can get smaller units designed for homes for a couple of hundred pounds.

When we first had a cadet we bought a fan from machine mart, abit noisey tbh. Put it in the loft, vent in the ceiling above the printer.
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 am

Here's a link to the HSE's guidance on inkjet printing, including UV & solvent.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/printing/coshhess ... igital.htm

There's a diagram of the ventillation set up.
<<

Mariusz Czarnota

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:03 pm

David Hammond wrote:Here's a link to the HSE's guidance on inkjet printing, including UV & solvent.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/printing/coshhess ... igital.htm

There's a diagram of the ventillation set up.

Ive seen this diagram but it isn't specified it is for solvent or ecosolvent as there is a bit difference regarding health hazards isnt? Am i should use 2 fans then, as i must say reversible would be more convenient as I would have to drill two holes.. It would still exchange air in room in my opinion, or it has to be in and out at the same time? Any wall mounted fans recommendations? Also should it be ATEX explosion proof certified fan or any fan would do the job?
Also what is mean 5-10 air exchanges per hour and how to calculate air flow needs for my room - 5 x 2,5 x 2.10m - 26m3? Fan from link got 259 litres/sec, is that enough if we count 30min pump out air 30min pump in air per hour? Or i should give up 2in1 fan and install 2 separate and if so any recommendations? I found only this decent size wall mounted with auto shutters..
<<

Mariusz Czarnota

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 pm

What about air purifier? I'm not too keen with drilling big holes for 2 fans now as it would be dirty job and I even don't now I'm allowed to do that.. I found this IqAir 250 air purifier with 2.5 kg of active carbon filer and also hepa filter which will help with dust problems plus i there will be no warm air extracted and dust/cold air move into room..
Watch on youtube.com

There is also another version with bigger carbon filters and 5.4kg of carbon, but its more expensive and for small room I got and low volume printing I do, IQ Air 250 should be enough.. Anyone using something similar in print room?
<<

Chris Ranner

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:57 am

Mariusz Czarnota wrote:Fan from link got 259 litres/sec,.

More likely 259 l/min, at 259l/s it would be either a vacuum in the room when sucking or a hurricane when blowing, plus it'd probably sound like a jet engine on full pelt.

As for the room, 5 air changes per hour is 26.25 x 5 = 131.25m3 per hour = 131250 l of air, divide by 60 to get into minutes = 2188 l/min,

I found a website that do just fans, that have a 9" through wall fan for around £110-140 that should be suitable and quiet
<<

Simon Worrall

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:27 am

Am I right in thinking that because the solvents are heavier than air the extractor should be situated at ground level? Which is a good thing because the air down there is not as warm as the air above it, so you would not be wasting so much heat.
<<

Mariusz Czarnota

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks for reply. Well, I've double check and spec for fan from link is:
Extract Performance:

"Low: 680 cubic metres per hour/189 litres per second
High: 1015 cubic metres per hour/282 litres per second
Fan Speed: 1205 - 1915 rpm
Noise Level: 52 dBA

DIMENSIONS:
Front Elevation/Grille: Approx 340mm square"

Not sure us 52dba on low or high but I think performance is pretty good. I'm refering to this on as its only one I found which is ip44 with automatic shuters both sides and got controller for speed and reverse. They cost 140£. Any other types recommendations? From calculations above i think 6" fans would also met needs am I right? Also what about suggestions about air purifiers/ scrubbers? Wpuld that iqair 250 would be any good to replace extraction fan?

Just to clarify, garage is not coonected with home, I have design desk and smaller work bench in studio room
At home and want convert garage to print / dry room where I would spend less time only when need to print, trim and mount bigger prints so exposure wouldnt be as much as in proper sign shops 8h a day or more.. I also just starting so i imagine I wouldn't have tones of orders.. I plan to rent proper space when business start paying off.. Thanks a lot for help.

Return to Roland Printers

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group