Print/Cut Machines - Mimaki or Roland ? Comments please

<<

Iain Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:27 am

Print/Cut Machines - Mimaki or Roland ? Comments please

Good morning All,
We are currently considering a print/cut solution for doing short run stickers, decals etc and i was wondering what peoples opinions of the 2 most popular brands were.
I have read back on previous threads but im inclined to hear more recent comments.
What machines do you have ? and what potential problems might i incur.

Cost isnt really an issue, we just want to get the best solution.

Your input would be greatly Appreciated :thumbup2:

Iain
<<

Pane Talev

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Print/Cut Machines - Mimaki or Roland ? Comments please

Morning.
I'm also interested in this thread.
Need to order printer In the next few weeks.
Cheers!
<<

Pane Talev

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:37 pm

At the moment I have good offer on Mimaki CJV150-160 and Mutoh 1624
My machine doesn't have to be print and cut.
Print only option is ok for me.
I'm leaning towards the Mutoh as I have used ValueJet for 8 years.
Mimaki comes at a good price.
Last edited by Pane Talev on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Iain Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 pm

What was the offer for the CJV150 ?
<<

Pane Talev

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:47 pm

15500 Swiss francs only this month. Goes back to 18k in July
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:24 pm

I ran a versacamm for about 6/7 years with versaworks.

I'm currently running the mimaki cjv (2years now) with rastorlink.

would I swap back..........yes indeed.
<<

Iain Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Richard James Martin wrote:I ran a versacamm for about 6/7 years with versaworks.

Im assuming then Richard that your not overly impressed with the Mimaki ?
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi
i looked in to this years ago with visits and prints from both manufacturers and i was actually present when the prints were done. Mimaki at the time which was a JV400 & the CJV etc bit harder to set up. RIP i didn't find so easy but when got right prints were very impressive but i found the print & cut long winded.

Roland at the time was the SC which used DX4 heads against the newer DX 5/6 heads of the Mimaki, print was very good still and VersaWorks i found very easy to use and straight forward print & cut was just a couple of clicks in your design program especially if you are using Flexi or Signlab.

Now things have come on Roland now using later heads on their machine as are Mimaki but I believe that the print quality is like for like but that the Roland wins on its cutting ability & VersaWorks which is constantly being updated and improved

I'm sure someone will come along and put Mimaki as being up front so just my opinion but i produced thousands of print/laminated stickers for the Olympics on my Roland SC did not miss a beat. I do prefer the Roland Pro machines over the others.

Both Roland & Mimaki have creative suites around the country to view these machine and normally run your own files. i prefer going to the manufacturer places as they will demonstrate with out actually pushing the sale as they don't sell direct to signmakers.

kev
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:24 pm

Iain Pearson wrote:
Richard James Martin wrote:I ran a versacamm for about 6/7 years with versaworks.

Im assuming then Richard that your not overly impressed with the Mimaki ?

The machine itself prints well and quick, it does faf about though setting up and and it's not as straight forward to operate as the Roland was. Ie. Too many sequences of buttons to press to perform simple tasks.
Also, the rip is much less user friendly than the versaworks rip.

I did expect the mimaki to have had more problems by now just because of how the build quality looks, but apart from the main board blowing (guess I was just unlucky) nothing has yet failed. Fingers crossed.

Had I have known then what I know now, I would have stuck with Roland.
<<

Iain Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks for the comments Kevin/Richard. gives me a lot more to think about.
Are there more benefits to having a stand alone printer and separate cutter ?
<<

Stafford Cox

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:42 pm

For me, it's down to 2 machines. Mimaki CJV or Roland VSi. I don't 'use' either of them, neither do I sell them so this is based purely on my views as a repairer.

Roland have been doing print and cut for a lot longer than Mimaki but I think the Mimaki is a higher quality machine. I prints better quality and the cutting ability of the CG-FX (The CJV is a JV print head assy with a CG cutting assy) is outstanding for a drag blade setup. I've also been Mimaki biased for a number of years due to my previous reseller status. However, I've seen a few Roland VS and VSi machines lately and they are really good. I don't rate the RIP software for either of them to be perfectly honest. Versawork and Rasterlink appear to be very low quality and terribly slow.

I guess it's really down to the deal that's available on each of them. I'm pretty sure the Mimaki comes with 2 years warranty still but Roland is only one. Make sure you check what you can get the ink carts cost before committing because you'll be stuck using them for whatever the warranty period is. Make sure your final price includes delivery and installation and INSIST on at least a FULL day of training.

I hope that is useful to you, I'll be interested to hear what your decision is and why.

Stafford
<<

Iain Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Stafford Cox wrote:For me, it's down to 2 machines. Mimaki CJV or Roland VSi. I don't 'use' either of them, neither do I sell them so this is based purely on my views as a repairer.

Roland have been doing print and cut for a lot longer than Mimaki but I think the Mimaki is a higher quality machine. I prints better quality and the cutting ability of the CG-FX (The CJV is a JV print head assy with a CG cutting assy) is outstanding for a drag blade setup. I've also been Mimaki biased for a number of years due to my previous reseller status. However, I've seen a few Roland VS and VSi machines lately and they are really good. I don't rate the RIP software for either of them to be perfectly honest. Versawork and Rasterlink appear to be very low quality and terribly slow.

I guess it's really down to the deal that's available on each of them. I'm pretty sure the Mimaki comes with 2 years warranty still but Roland is only one. Make sure you check what you can get the ink carts cost before committing because you'll be stuck using them for whatever the warranty period is. Make sure your final price includes delivery and installation and INSIST on at least a FULL day of training.

I hope that is useful to you, I'll be interested to hear what your decision is and why.

Hi Stafford
Thats great, thanks very much for your input.
Most of my larger work is outsourced so this really is new territory for me.
I will see what other comments come in over the next couple of days before committing myself to either.
Thanks again :thumbup2:

Stafford
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:03 am

i have to say i prefer the pro-series over the VS, I had a VS on trial from Roland & my SC545 could beat it hands down on speed at the same print quality. I have to say i quite like the look of the TruVis Roland have launched although I've only seen the specs. I have seen the Pro 4 before it was launched and it is one fast machine.
Re the separate cutter i always had Print Cut, labels i found it easier just had 2 normal cutters for cut vinyl

Kev
<<

Stafford Cox

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 am

Kevin Flowers wrote:i have to say i prefer the pro-series over the VS, I had a VS on trial from Roland & my SC545 could beat it hands down on speed at the same print quality. I have to say i quite like the look of the TruVis Roland have launched although I've only seen the specs. I have seen the Pro 4 before it was launched and it is one fast machine.
Re the separate cutter i always had Print Cut, labels i found it easier just had 2 normal cutters for cut vinyl

Kev

I have to agree with you about the Pro4. I've got a couple of XF-640's on cover now and they go like STINK!! Cracking machine, but I think it's more for a high volume user. The VS on the other hand seems to suit users from startup to mid range. Isn't the SC545 the one Uniform rebadged as the Grenadier?

Stafford
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:03 am

Hi Stafford
it was used by Uniform and Victory etc it was an upgrade to the SC540 the sc545 being able to use Versaworks & i believe could be configured for white. Mine was originally a Victory converted machine which i got with very minimal hours on it, I ran Lyson ink and it never missed a beat some times running 24hrs a day @one point 36hrs continuous. I think the pro machines are just up that notch in build quality and price & is what should be used as a comparison to the Mimaki JV series. Rolands entry level machine are good and easily do the job but i think pro machines do give you an edge

Kev
<<

Simon.Johnson

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:38 am

Hi Ian

A quick tip on an integrated printer/cutter versus a separate printer and cutter. I have a number of customer who are small businesses who produce short run labels and decals. In all cases they use an integrated printer/cutter because they can set a print run up of almost any number and leave it to run them out unattended giving even a one man band the chance to run 24 hours if needed.

A separate printer and cutter does have other advantages but you do need to be available to move each sheet from the printer to the cutter so man power and staff hours may dictate the best choice for you.
<<

Iain Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:14 pm

Simon.Johnson wrote:Hi Ian

A quick tip on an integrated printer/cutter versus a separate printer and cutter. I have a number of customer who are small businesses who produce short run labels and decals. In all cases they use an integrated printer/cutter because they can set a print run up of almost any number and leave it to run them out unattended giving even a one man band the chance to run 24 hours if needed.

A separate printer and cutter does have other advantages but you do need to be available to move each sheet from the printer to the cutter so man power and staff hours may dictate the best choice for you.

Hi Simon
Thanks for your comments
From the feedback I'm getting there doesn't seem to be much in it between Mimaki and Roland apart from personal preference.
I've got details of a supplier that will demonstrate both so I think I might go that route to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanks again for the I put, it's much appreciated :thumbup2:
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Quick reply...

I have looked at Mimaki in the past for both vinyl cutters and printers.
I went with Roland and never looked back. For me Roland always seem to be ahead of Mimaki, more innovate and so on...
16+ years later of running Roland Printers, Roland cutters and Roland Print & Cut machines, and I am still of the same opinion.

I see both members most interested here are also UK Sign Group members, there for I would advise you to contact PrintMax as they are our official supplier of both Roland and Mimaki machines to the UKSG.
You are also going to get the best of both worlds as they sell both Brands. http://www.printmax.co.uk/
<<

Iain Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:Quick reply...

I have looked at Mimaki in the past for both vinyl cutters and printers.
I went with Roland and never looked back. For me Roland always seem to be ahead of Mimaki, more innovate and so on...
16+ years later of running Roland Printers, Roland cutters and Roland Print & Cut machines, and I am still of the same opinion.

I see both members most interested here are also UK Sign Group members, there for I would advise you to contact PrintMax as they are our official supplier of both Roland and Mimaki machines to the UKSG.
You are also going to get the best of both worlds as they sell both Brands. http://www.printmax.co.uk/

Hi Robert
Thanks for the feedback
You are quite correct, and Printmax have already been in touch directly to offer me a no obligation open day next month to go a view all respective solutions available so I'm quite excited about that. Will update you once I have made a decision . . . . :D

Return to Mimaki Printers