Categories
  • TIMELINE

Post Foundation and removal of existing posts

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Post Foundation and removal of existing posts

I have a job to remove an existing post and panel arrangement, and replace this with a similar size of post and panel but on much longer posts

The existing posts are set into a plastic sleeve into which concrete has been poured. The plastic sleeve itself has been set into a wider base of concrete. Below is a diagram explaining what I mean along with some photos.

My questions are:-
1/ Why was it done this way?
2/ What is the best way to remove the existing posts?

Ideas and suggestions please
Attachments
found.jpg
IMG_5613[1].JPG
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Post Foundation and removal of existing posts

Normally done that way when the base is installed at an earlier date, sometimes by a different (heavy) squad. Then the sign erectors can come along later when the base is hardened and slot the sign posts into the empty tubes and fill up with mortar/concrete.

Depending on the size of your new posts, the existing ones may with a bit of persuasion, slide up out of these sleeves and you could then perhaps break out the filling and reuse the base?

Otherwise it's probably going to be a JCB job.

Neil
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:28 pm

Perhaps they cannot dig down deep enough so have put a large, heavy foundation in.

Rather than having legs manufactured, with feet for drilling bolting to the foundation they've just used standard posts, and fixed as your diagram?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi
its so that they can cast a two part foundation, basically laying the larger block with the tube inserted let it set then plant sign by filling tubes, because the tubes are narrow it helps stiffen the concrete & stop the sign leaning.

Kev
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:01 am

I used to do this all the time when I had 'others' dig deep holes especially on building sites.

Dig big hole with heavy equipment and put in oversized PVC pipe in general position and concrete / backfill.

Come along at a later date with sign poles... Drop 'em dpown the sleeves and backfill with minimal postcrete....half an hour's work...not half a day!

Removal...best suggestion is to get BIG sledge hammer and batter the post down to either punch it through the internal concrete or crack the concrete away from the PVC then extract / lever out with a pry bar.

The only removal I've done of this was with a grinder and shouting 'timber' when customer didn't pay up...didn't care if they couldn't reused the holes!

Return to General Sign Topics