How to control plotting order?

<<

Simon Worrall

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:52 pm

How to control plotting order?

Hi
I have hundreds of names of fallen world war one soldiers to plot in vinyl, to be applied to a 4m x 6m wall in the foyer of our art gallery. Letter x height is about 10mm.
The plan is to cut a weeding window around each line and weed the vinyl once it is applied to the wall
The thing is, the vinyl I am using - avery 500 exhibition matt black vinyl, has a backing paper that is not very high quality, and I am afraid that if the plotter travels back and forth too much the accuracy of placement will be compromised.
I would prefer to start at the beginning and plot each line followed by the weeding box, and move on to the next line.
I am using Illustrator 10, on a PC, and my plotter is a roland CX500 (48 inch machine)

How do I precisely control the plotting order please?
Thanks
<<

Shawn Bentley

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: How to control plotting order?

hi simon, the plotting order is usually controlled but the order you put down (draw) the graphics on the page, e.g. if you draw a line then a circle then a word and save the plotter will cut the line first then the circle then the word and so on, so whatever is first to hit the illustrator page is cut first and last to be drawn is cut last, hope this helps, if you want certain order start new page and copy and paste each object you want cut onto new page in order you want them to cut in, regards shawn
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Simon
don't know if this will work in Illy but if you select all & sent to the front it normally makes the software think the graphic is been laid down in one go so will cut in a normal order

Kev
<<

Simon Worrall

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:42 am

Thanks guys.
I started copying and pasting one by one to get the lines in the right order, but by the 30th one my head exploded, with 6oo more to go.
So i took a chance on it, and my 13 year old roland was 100% accurate over the 4 x 4.8 meter lengths of tiny names although it travelled a long way in the process!
:D

Return to Roland Cutters