• TIMELINE

New UKSB Site layout?

<<

Jamie Wood

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:42 am

New UKSB Site layout?

It may be just me, but I find the new layout very confusing. There is nothing in the current discussion thread except for
News posts. Is anyone else having this problem?
<<

Jon Marshall

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 am

Re: New layout

Yes. Certainly not liking it so far...
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:17 am

Re: New layout

:D sorry guys, bit of a bumpy ride on the migration the past 24hrs.

yes your right the latest discussion is showing news only. but thats just down to forum permissions being open to all at the moment. by that i mean you are seeing stuff being done in the background. but unavoidable at the moment.
you WILL see this topic is now there too, its just as we load stuff you can see it.
bear with us till mid-late afternoon and you will begin to see things move forward. :D
<<

John Harding

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:26 am

Re: New Site layout

Ok Im holding on, it is a bumpy ride - bated breath and fingers crossed :D
<<

Steve Morgan

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:30 am

Ah bit of a surprise when I opened this up this morning - like others I imagine. I presume the forum posts will be updated as you progress.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:36 am

Steve Morgan wrote:I presume the forum posts will be updated as you progress.

exactly steve, the posts will all start appearing on the left in one place. the drop-down jump to index page in same place. i have seen it working properly "off-line" and it does work much faster once you familiarize yourself and once all the jittery bits of the site have been ironed out.

the navigation of the old site was terrible, and this will keep everything simple.
it really is a case of not liking CHANGE because i never used to bother with navigation of the old one till i started using the new in the background and you just see how bad it was in comparison once all the add-ons over the years are stripped away.
<<

Craig Brown

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: New UKSB Site layout?

Keep up the good work Rob...

one question, I'm getting "You are not authorised to read this forum" on the news stories, is that to do with my forum status or just a temporary thing as you go about the changes to the site?
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Got similar here, logs me in bur will only let me see this post.
Come on Rob I'll be getting with drawl symptoms

Kev
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Some of us older members don't like change Robert, like to say more on the subject but I need to go feed the horse & grease the wagon wheels :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:33 pm

Craig Brown wrote:one question, I'm getting "You are not authorised to read this forum" on the news stories, is that to do with my forum status or just a temporary thing as you go about the changes to the site?

Its just a temporary thing Craig.
Basically, we have a hidden "drafts" forum. so all editorials, public posts etc. are put together in the draft forum only visible to admin. then we just move them public and they appear on the homepage. trouble is, allot of permission in the new site aren't pairing up from the migration. so we are one by one changing this and that as we discover.
I would love to give you a very clever techy reply here but in a nutshell, we are feeling our way around in the dark. :oops: :lol1:
<<

Craig Brown

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:I would love to give you a very clever techy reply here but in a nutshell, we are feeling our way around in the dark. :oops: :lol1

hats off for the honesty...and good on you for you for evolving the site :thumbup2:
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Yee - haaw - it's a bumpy ride but I'm hanging on in here :-?

Yes it's always a bit unsettling when faced with change - but I'm sure we'll all prefer the new site once we get used to it.

Keep up the good work Rob :appl:
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Yes a drastic change.

1 thing I have noticed on my phone is the ad's appear at the bottom r/h of the page.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated. :D

David Hammond wrote:1 thing I have noticed on my phone is the ad's appear at the bottom r/h of the page.

David, your totally right mate.
The reason for that is we removed the mobile version of the site a few days ago to get it live.
we have lots of bits that will all integrate with each other, but the trial and error process was ongoing or i was away here and there around the UK. So bit the bullet and here we are.
Basically:
isigntube.com will integrate more with UKSB and with Signapp in real time.
uksb will do the same, vice-versa.
Signapp, "as it is" will change. basically signapp will be mobile uksb, allowing integrated post/reply/and all else the board offers.
it will also come with a better user experience and updates from our end are easy and seamless. which has always been the issue for us.

well, as i type i think we have sussed why we are getting all those posts appearing in the latest discussion box that shouldn't. so i better start looking like i am doing something. :wink:
<<

Glen Mathers

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Not too keen on the colours used for the drop down forum menu, i think the new site needs a fair bit more work :-(
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:26 pm

Glen Mathers wrote:Not too keen on the colours used for the drop down forum menu, i think the new site needs a fair bit more work :-(

yes you are correct glen it does and will have mate. :D

other than the obvious news boxes on secondary pages and latest posts issue, as we are working on this right now.
please feel free to make suggestions. if the ideas are good, then i will look at having it implemented once we get things running smooth here.
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:31 am

For me it's very 'airy' and feint...OK, some may see it as 'fresh and clean' but I'm gazing at it thinking "What's this, has Rob been hacked again by some sadistic genius hell-bent on giving me eye strain?!"

Side scroll bar seems to be very, very narrow for me - only on this website (using Chrome).
Where's my old favourites such as 'posts since last visit' which was what I clicked 99% of the time! It's nowhere to be seen :( it made me sad...

It's a bit like having a quirky friend - who went and had plastic surgery, saw a life coach and came back all Zen-like with their face & ( oh i swore ) pulled so tight you had to do an ID check to believe it was still them.

Dave
<<

Chris Sharps

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Agree with Dave about the "Posts since last visit"
I used it virtually every time I logged on. Hopefully it will be reinstated.

Chris
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:35 pm

DavidRogers wrote:For me it's very 'airy' and feint...OK, some may see it as 'fresh and clean' but I'm gazing at it thinking "What's this, has Rob been hacked again by some sadistic genius hell-bent on giving me eye strain?!"

Hi Dave
Yes I agree with you on most there, but I do think its is more a case of "change" that is daunting most, "at the moment".
there is reasons why i have done things like they are and the colours used. that will become apparent over time.
although admittedly tweaks will be made on how light/dark the grey lines etc are that get used. this is not because i want to BOLD everything up, i don't. but more because of monitor quality and settings. some colours we use may just not work on "some monitors" due to personal settings or if the resolution is low etc. in short, its been less than 36hrs live and will very much be "work in progress" for about a fortnight.

DavidRogers wrote:Where's my old favourites such as 'posts since last visit' which was what I clicked 99% of the time! It's nowhere to be seen :( it made me sad.

the missing link you mention. it really is just a case of not under your nose or where you are used to it being.
by that i mean, every single feature of the old board is here and MUCH MORE. these links will all start to appear in one place, at the foot of the site. this link and others will start to appear over the next few days.

however, they ARE THERE NOW, for quick reference for you just now. Click the INDEX link at the top of page. or click HERE

at the top of the forum list you will see 4 links:

•View unanswered posts
•View unread posts
•View new posts
•View active topics

this will show you everything from all forums in a single click.

the side scroll bar i think is due to a javascript we removed from the latest discussions. thats a bug not a feature and will change over the coming days. :D
<<

John.Murphy

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 am

Hi
I had uploaded images to the gallery the morning of the change,
Should I upload them again the posts from that day seem to have vanished
Thanks
:thumbup2:
<<

Duncan Wilkie

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 am

Stay the course Rob. Thanks for your efforts. This place will be state of the art. You've taken on a daunting task. Good on ya mate.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:26 am

Thank you Duncan! :wink:

John Murphy wrote:Hi
I had uploaded images to the gallery the morning of the change,
Should I upload them again the posts from that day seem to have vanished
Thanks

John, sorry about that mate, but yes, it would be better to re-load them as we did loss about 50 posts at least in the switch. :-?
<<

Cheryl Smith

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi Rob..
posted a question on general signs and its not come up in the current posts lists...will it be seen to be answered?...
Also the Karma thumbs...wooo, how hippy
Cheryl
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Cheryl Smith wrote:posted a question on general signs and its not come up in the current posts lists...will it be seen to be answered?

looks like we missed one! :-?
I will get this updated pronto. in mean time i have moved it to the vinyl forum. :D
<<

Ivan Morley

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:35 am

I know it takes time to get used to any changes, but the only thing which looks wrong is the forum column only takes up approx 1/3 of my screen.

I know designing web pages is a nightmare due to varying screen resolutions and sizes, but increasing the column width to say 1024 pixels wide (if possible) would be an improvement (in my opinion).
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:24 pm

I know what you mean Ivan and in many ways i prefer it too mate. however, the narrower page width is actually intentional.
without going into allot of boring background stuff, think about the width of Facebook, twitter etc...
also, post content and news etc is all text. screen monitors are getting wider and wider, but not necessarily deeper.
there for when a post is made it would be stretched the full width of the screen in a single line to adjust to the width.
this is actually how the old site worked. but regardless, all images were still loaded at 500 pixels wide. so super wide line of text, with an image to the far left of the screen. if you see what i mean?
images are large enough at 500 pixels wide. however, if we load something visually appealing, we allow a pop-up full size of the image.
perfect world would be monitors that are either big or small, but at the same scale dimensions. never going to happen though. :lol1:
<<

Stafford Cox

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm not a frequent visitor by any means. But I like it!! A lot fresher than the old style and very welcomed.

Just my two pence worth :)

Stafford
<<

Karen McGinty

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi.

Is it due to these changes that SignApp is not working? All I get when I click on the app is the header and blank white screens. I gave tried deleting and reinstalling but :-(

K x x
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Stafford Cox wrote:I'm not a frequent visitor by any means. But I like it!! A lot fresher than the old style and very welcomed.

Just my two pence worth :)

Stafford

Thank you for the positive feedback Stafford, much appreciated. :D
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Karen McGinty wrote:Hi.

Is it due to these changes that SignApp is not working? All I get when I click on the app is the header and blank white screens. I gave tried deleting and reinstalling but :-(

K x x

I expect any bugs or errors on signapp will be a result of the work being done on UKSB and isigntub as both sites and servers feed the majority of the app. I have a customer starting work on the app any day now. Its a pain, but we must change everything here, then re-link with the app. the flip side is the app will be much better as a result of the changes.

however, over the next few days you will be able to use the new mobile version of uksignboards.com and the mobile version of isigntube.com is already active.

sorry for the inconvenience caused karen.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Just to let you know we had some forums that were not showing on the homepage "current discussions" when a post was made. This has now been fixed, sorry about that.
I am sure there will be more areas that need tweaked dependant on the browsers being used but i think we have addressed the majority across platforms now. if there is anything in particular you think is wrong or bugging you! :lol1:
please feel free to mention here or by email to chris@uksignboards.com and we will look at getting it sorted pronto.
thanks again for your perseverance whilst we "cut our teeth" on the new system. :wink: :D
<<

David Brown

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi Rob

Not a very frequent visitor to the boards, but just dropped in today to be greeted by the new site - very nice, the more I use it the better it gets

Just one thing - I did post a reply to the Printed Nails item in the News Section a couple of weeks ago but it looks like it didnt make the transition?
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:12 pm

David Brown wrote:I did post a reply to the Printed Nails item in the News Section a couple of weeks ago but it looks like it didnt make the transition?

Thanks for the comments mate...
On your missing post. you are correct there... we lost a bunch of posts when we migrated to the new site.
Unsure just how many we lost but could be anything from 50-100 i guess. should have been a seamless switch, but wasn't to be unfortunately.
we are working on things continually just now and the more new features we make live the better it will get. :D
<<

Jason Davies

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm getting used to it now. NIce and clean.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Jason Davies wrote:I'm getting used to it now. NIce and clean.

Good to hear Jason, thank you for your feedback mate.
<<

Brian Bollard

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:32 am

Nice new look.
An "Active topics" or "Posts since last visit link" would be handy.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:46 am

Brian Bollard wrote:Nice new look.
An "Active topics" or "Posts since last visit link" would be handy.

Hi Brian

On the left of homepage you will see the "Current Discussions" which is basically all the most recent/active topics as they are made.

However, if you click "Index" from the navigation links, you will be presented with the full forum index.

There are two things here. "along the top of the forum list" you will see the following links.

* View unanswered posts
    * View unread posts
    * View new posts
    * View active topics

Also,
down the left hand side of all the forums listed, you will see "Red Tick images" which show all the forums with new content since your last visit.
when you click the forum with the ticks, you will open the forum. which again will have ticks next to all the posts in that forum you have not read.

Hope this helps explain a bit better.

<<

Cheryl Smith

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 am

Whats this 'thanks' list which is in our profile and how do we add our 'thanks" to someone?....
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Cheryl Smith wrote:Whats this 'thanks' list which is in our profile and how do we add our 'thanks" to someone?....

its a function deactivated just now. easy reactivated.
its a different type of "like, dislike" function for individual posts.
i think the "post quality karma rank" is the less likely one to be abused.
the plan is to explain all once we have everything fully working as it should. still doing allot in the back ground just now. :D
<<

Cheryl Smith

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks Rob...
<<

Kevin Parr

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:32 am

Im so sorry i no likely i like the old layout best
Out with the new back with the old :banghead:
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Kevin Parr wrote:Im so sorry i no likely i like the old layout best
Out with the new back with the old :banghead:

:lol1: no apology needed Kev. I know it is not going to be in everyones favour.

I would welcome constructive criticism though. other than colour choice used and page width, as it has been spoke about already. what things do you not like now that was better before?
<<

Mike Grant

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Not feeling the love at the moment. :shake:

Could each topic title be in a bolder type face for it to stand out more from the rest of the gumpf in the listing.

And can the topic you have selected be highlighted so when you click back a page you can still see where you last visited rather than having to scan the whole page again to find the next unread topic.

<<

Jean Oakley

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Rob I'm completely lost i really can't find anything. I want to post a font ID today and having not been on for awhile to be confronted with an alien page. Ive just sent Chris a question as i was given a free membership for this year due to being on the course back in March. I think this might be where my problem lies as I'm assuming its the entry level membership and i was on the highest previously. sorry its a bit off topic but what can i do to get my old membership back even my profile page is now blank?
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi Jean

Sorry your finding navigation a bit different to the norm.
Your membership is still the same as before, "UKSG". I have double checked and you do still have your access to the full list of forums.
Just click "index" at the top left of screen and scroll down till you find the relevant forum to make your post.
It is actually the exactly the same as before, just a different colour and No logo images used for each forum.

if you have any further access problems please contact chris on chris@uksignboards.com.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:22 pm

It seems to work OK, but it looks really stark and generic on my PC. I haven't done a lot of navigation yet. I suppose it works better on a smartphone, but I only have a dumb one.
:lol1:
I admit to not having visited in ages, since discovering Facebook, and also not getting a lot of sign work and having to get a real job.
(puppy-eyes)
Hope everyone is doing well.
Love....Jill
<<

Steve Morgan

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:47 am

I presume the site is all finished now. I have to say I find it rather disappointingly bland. The complete lack of any colour and the use of very light greys instead makes it look like it's awaiting the finishing touch. I presume the vast areas of white either side of the content are for users who don't view on a wide screen

In particular the light grey used for some of the text in the 'Current Discussions' and the white on grey text in the 'Select a Forum' dropdown I find are practically invisible - just a little too subtle
<<

Jamie Wood

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:39 pm

I've had a chance to get used to the new design now, but I'm still not keen, and I don't think I ever will be, but that's just me. I think the old site had better navigation, and things were easier to find. The current discussions bar doesn't hold enough topics - I think it would be better if it had a scroll bar like before, and I agree that the use of pale grey text
makes it difficult to read. I understand that it's a work in progress, and why it was done, but I preferred it before - sorry!
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Steve

Nop, the site is not finished mate. far from it actually... :D

The cosmetics of the site does need tweaks here and there and they will be done as soon as possible. :D
my focus for the time being is the work being done in the background. We have iSigntube and signapp that must work hand-in-hand with UKSB and that is what is taking the time up.

Steve Morgan wrote:I presume the vast areas of white either side of the content are for users who don't view on a wide screen

We had to go with a fixed width for various reasons. for one, monitors are getting wider and wider but not taller or to scale at least. auto formatting to screen width was on the old site... and looking at that on my home monitor, it looked great, but on my office monitor it looked ridiculous. So we ran with the one you see... without going deep into it. have a look at Facebook and Twitter, two of the worlds most used websites.

I have not 100% decided yet, but the Currant discussion bar probably won't revert to a scroll bar, but the latest discussions showing will increase. there is currently 15 latest topics, the old site used to show 20-to-25 at max.

I know several have commented about finding navigation worse, but to be honest guys. the last site navigation was terrible! the reason was because we kept adding and adding to the site which made navigation a maze. I can only assume the regulars have got so used to it before, it became second nature. now we have stripped back all the mess, i guess it will appear very different to most regulars.

Based solely on the stats for the site "since the change" the return traffic has increased by almost 20% which indicates we are doing something right. :D

your comments are all taken on board and very welcome, negative or not. all i can ask is you bear with us a bit longer.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:15 pm

I wanted to mention we have just connected a mobile version of UKSB now. Meaning...
If you visit the site via a mobile device such as a Phone or Tablet, you will see a very different looking uksignboards.com
This is in its basic format and colour theme for the moment, which WILL change slightly once we run tests and gain feedback.
The idea of the mobile version is to allow the "forums" to be read and replied too directly from the phone in its simplest format, similar to an app. rather than seeing the site as a full website with the news front page etc. which would normally mean you would need to zoom in on, scroll left right, up down, find reply buttons and so on.

This is really only for phone handsets rather than tablets. So IF you are use an ipad or similar. you will see a button/tab right at the bottom saying "Switch to Full Style". if you click this it will revert you to the original full site / look.

You will also notice the "Posting Box" fields when "making a reply or post" on the boards has changed slightly.
This is work in progress at the moment as we implement the Video options to allow a direct embed from http://www.isigntube.com, but also Youtube, Vimeo and all other video sharing sites.

Anyway, I just wanted to point this out... "Please Do" let us know if you find any bugs or issues, as it is very easy for us to overlook issues triggered by the ongoing work.
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Rob sorry but I really don't like the mobile layout on either my tablet or phone, and I usually do most of my browsing from home on them.

There's no recent topics and I find myself guessing what forum a post I want is in. There's no search function. I find the navigation (text links) & drop down menus more fidly than the desktop version.

An option to view the full desktop site would be good.

The desktop site is growing on me as I get used to it.
<<

Chris Wool

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:07 pm

I like change and upgrades from time to time but can't live with the new mobile version and the full site button just reloads the mobile site.
personally I didn't have a problem with the full site on my phone Samsung s3. I quite like the new full site now I've got used to it
Appreciate what you are doing
thanks
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback David / Chris it is appreciated.

The Mobile version is still work in progress and being worked on daily.
the "revert to desktop" function is just refreshing and not doing as it should, but will work come Monday.
So it will be just a case of "use mobile version" or "use desktop version". The point IS to give YOU the option.

The latest posts within the Mobile version are currently in RED.
So you see the list of "forums and posts" in BLUE. the RED ones are the ones you have NOT looked at/read.

Latest Discussions:
You will see has been increased to 20 from 15.