my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Monitor advice (Accurate colour display) needed please?

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Monitor advice (Accurate colour display) needed please?

I use the CorelDraw colour management and that with my trusted but old Mitsubishi Diamond CRT screen gives very accurate colour display to final print. Unfortunately I’m getting a slight pink ghosting around my images (all programmes) and I suspect my monitor will soon be no more.

Can anybody give me some advice on what is the best new monitor to buy that will give an accurate colour display as good as my old crt.

I also have an IPS HP flat screen and a Dell Ultrasharp and good as they are they still don’t match the colour accuracy of my CRT.
It will be sad day when that screen finally goes:(
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Take it you have tried fine tuning the other monitors Alan.

As for your old CRT does it have a degaussing function in the menu at all? Many quality CRT monitors did & that might help with your colour cast problem. I still use a cornerstone CRT monitor, customers have laughed at it because of the size but even if I used a flat screen the space behind the monitor wouldn't get used.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Not seen a Degaussing function and I'm not sure what it is, I'll have a look though as I'd like to keep the CRT as the colour is so accurate compared to flat screens I've seen. I've fiddled and adjusted the others till I'm blue in the face I've even got the correct icc profile - I've just never seen a flatscreen as accurate as the CRT's. I'm just wondering the high end Lacie's are as good or just overpriced and the same as the Dell or HP
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:05 pm

The Dell ultra sharp once calibrated should be pretty good - think about 95-99% accurate to AdobeRGB.

We have 2 hardware calibrated monitors, LG34um95 ultra wide (very good monitor for graphic design) and a bloody expensive NEC SpectraView for photographic work.

Otherwise we have a mix of Dell Ultra sharps & HP IPS panels - prefer the Dell monitor to the HP model.

Calibration of IPS panels are a must, they never seem to be accurate out of the box.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:28 pm

How do you calibrate the Ultasharp? I've looked at all the settings and I can't get as good as the CRT.
Alan d
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Use a hardware calibrator like x-Rite i1 or Datacolor Spyder, measures and builds a profile.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks Colin, I've come accross this site http://www.nativedigital.com/up-to-24-inch/ - looks very interesting.
Tried degausing but made no difference
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Tried degausing but made no difference

Shame about that Alan although it was a bit of a long shot, has worked for me in the past so was worth a try.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm a great fan of the Eizo Coloredge screens for critical work. Couple the screen with an eyeone display pro from x-rite and you're good to start going (unless you spring for one of the self calibrating units)
http://www.nativedigital.com/xrite-i1-display-pro/

Assuming your workflow is predominantly CMYK, I'd try to find one with as near to Adobe RGB coverage, as budget will allow.

If you're used to working on a CRT, then you'll be used to a dull screen - these can (should?) be made to work to a similar illumination level (80-100Cd/m^2) for colour critical activities.

I'd consider buying the calibrator first, to see if you can bring the Dell into line (though it'll never be in the same class as a high end Eizo).

Return to Computers