my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

will i continue with the wet method for application!

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:01 pm

will i continue with the wet method for application!

Hi,

I did did the graphics for a van today, both sides, front and rear, this was my first attempt at applying vinyl graphics to a vehicle, and I did it dry!, my nerves were going applying the graphics in this way, I did not get any bubbles in the job and the whole thing was straight :D . I do not want to apply graphics dry again because towards the end, my arms were shaking wondering if I would mess the job up!!, I like the idea of applying them wet so if you did make a mistake, you can correct it easier, what is the best mix, washing up liquid and water or is there a proper solution you can buy?

Simon
<<

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:14 pm

i understand how you must have felt mate, all i can say is it gets easier and your confidence WILL grow. stick in at it if you can..

at the end of the day you have to make money, if wet app helps then wet app it is...
many have their own preference in mixing water and fairy liquid etc.
ill let them advise as i cant help here...

if i was in your shoes i would use rapid tac 2, not as cheap as water and meths, water and fairy soap, but the best wet app solution i know of by far. :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:49 pm

Good for you!
If you started out dry with no bubbles, I would continue to apply dry.
I like Rapid Tac, original for most things & RT2 for glass (if needed) or other applications where you need a faster drying time. RT1 smells better tho!
I think it is worth the added expense because it has a $$ back guarantee and it has been tried & tested. It supposedly "activates" the adhesive. I do seem to get less air bubbles too.
When I used to make home-brew, this was the recipe:
Take 1 empty squirt bottle (window cleaner size)
ADD:
3 to 6 drops of NON LOTION dishwashing liquid or antibacterial Dial liquid hand soap (the orange kind)
and 1 capful of rubbing (isopropyl ?) alcohol
Then fill with water (preferably distilled)
Shake & go.
If you want it to smell nice, add a teaspoon of pure Vanilla extract instead of the alcohol.
It worked for me. But I get bubbles wet or dry, with Rapid Tac or home brew. (less with RT)
I also spray the stuck vynull with Windex before removing the transfer tape. I have heard that some folks use Windex as an application fluid, but I wouldn't!
Love...Jill :blush:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:26 pm

wet application?

I think the problem with my nerves was that the customer insisted on watching me fit the graphics (:) , it wasn't just the customer, most of his family watched as well, you know you could make a big mistake when people are watching you, one thing I hate is being watched, at least if you make a mess, you can correct it and no one will know!.

I will try a few more dry applications, the first job turning out well could have been a fluke, fingers crossed.

Simon
<<

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:57 pm

being watched.. now thats different :thumbdown:

ive been applying vinyl over 14 years and i still hate to be watched.
not so much joe bloggs watching, more so the customer.
all the little comments like. that bits not stuck down, and here... let me hold that side. they get in the way and point out stuff you are well aware of. if you do make a mistake they are onto you like flys round crap. not a nice feeling.

you did very well then mate. being watched and dry first go! now go and have a pint :wink: :lol:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:35 pm

a pint!

Thanks Robert!!

after the job, I went home and had a couple of drinks!

Simon
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:38 pm

Applying dry is a much better method once you get use to it. The first two times I had to stick vinyl (both were outdoors) I decided to use the rapid tack, It was a cold day and it was on glass it took a good hour before I was able to remove the transfer tape and even then the letters still wanted to come up.
One method I use when sticking larger decals is the hinge method where you leave the backing paper on, line it up on your vehicle tape it in place then apply a piece of tape from top to bottom right down the center. then pull up one half of it remove that side of the backing paper rip it or cut it off at your center mark. next squeegee it down then do the same on the other side. it works great when your by yourself.
good luck

Dan
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:46 pm

I use that method too, Dan. The only thing I do differently is that I never rip the backing paper if it is over vinyl, so to speak, because it leaves fibres of paper behind the vinyl. I use one of those little slitter knife thingies.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:22 pm

yeah I usally use a pair of scissors, but I do know what type of cutter you are talking about I am going to have to try that. :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 pm

I also use scissors to cut at the hinge...
As for being watched when fitting vinyl I Hate that but I have a tool box with all my bits in and on the front of it i made a sticker:

Hourly fitting Charge £20 per Hour...
If customer watching £30 per Hour...
If customer helping £50 per hour!!!!
Discount offered for supply of white coffee with 2 sugars..!

Only a bit of fun but they all seem to notice it and have a laugh then leave me alone...
Cheers
Ian
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:45 pm

Higgi29 wrote:I also use scissors to cut at the hinge...
As for being watched when fitting vinyl I Hate that but I have a tool box with all my bits in and on the front of it i made a sticker:

Hourly fitting Charge £20 per Hour...
If customer watching £30 per Hour...
If customer helping £50 per hour!!!!
Discount offered for supply of white coffee with 2 sugars..!

Only a bit of fun but they all seem to notice it and have a laugh then leave me alone...
Cheers
Ian

I hate vans, even worse if someones watching, I prefer to let someone else apply it :wink: that's what they're paid for.

Centre hinge is best (in my opinion) for nasty curved panels, top hinge for nice 'n' flat, wet or dry, I love 'em all.
Depends if I want to do it dry, or be a low down dirty sod and do it wet :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:06 am

Thanks Robert!!

after the job, I went home and had a couple of drinks!

Simon

Not some of Jillbeans 'home brew' I hope

(drink1) *hair*

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:19 am

I am the same always seem to apply on my own and the hinge method is for me far the best and easiest way more control I feel.
and so far always dry.

Return to Vinyl