my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Need Staff! what do you do?

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:32 am

Need Staff! what do you do?

just wondering what the rest of you would do in this position.
i work from home but getting allot more business now & need extra hands. (one set :D)
do i look for time served staff or someone from school?
i do not think i need a pro, just a helping hand. not forgetting the price of an extra wage each week.

any help please! :-?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:41 am

If you don't need a pro then why not start out with employing someone part-time. This way you will be able to manage your out goings a little better - and the amount of time you need them, if work load increases then offer more hours, or employ another person part time. Or if you just want someone to do the pain jobs like weeding then why not think of a home worker, you may then be able to employ on a per meter basis.

Dan
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:45 am

Hi Sally
I am in a similar position to you. I don't as yet do vinyl cutting but have recently moved into a unit as business is increasing. I will be employing 1 or maybe 2 people part time in the future. The important thing to bear in mind is that you need employers insurance and this is fairly expensive. As for who to employ, an experienced helper will of course be more expensive regarding wages but a trainee would be cheaper with the benifit of teaching him/her to do the job your way.
Cheers
Jim
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:58 am

Hi Sally.

Now your problems start !!!! :D

If you don't need an experienced person then go for a trainee. Apart from being cheaper, you can train them yourself in the way you want them to work rather than someone coming in with their own fixed ideas on how things should be done, which may not necessarily coincide with your own.

I much prefer this method and use it whenever possible but I have to say that finding the right person can be the biggest challenge, although to be fair, the quality of candidates does seem to have improved in recent years. I believe that Robert has some fairly strong views on this subject.

Whatever you end up doing you are going to be faced with a lot more bureaucracy, paperwork and expense. It doesn't matter whether you have one employee or fifty, the aggravation level is the same.

Good luck.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:23 pm

What you do is dependant on labour laws etc.
BUT....one word of advice , trying to get away with paying peanuts gets you monkeys. We have found this , bite the bullet , pay the price and employ QUALIFIED of EXPERIENCED ppl, trying to get away with folk who are not savvy with the job in hand costs a fortune. No part time person is at all comitted or dedicated , often it costs a little more over the first few months to employ someone , but if you think the business is going to grow , then do so , it allows you more time to do what you do best rather than spend your time on "dog" work. We try to get staff who are being underpaid and underutilised by our opposition.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:08 pm

Just a quick thought, but I would have thought that by bringing in someone with experiance
you can also bring in additional knowledge to complement the skills you already have.
Naturally this depends on the quality of candidate available and how you see the business
developing.
I guess you need to decide is this person just going to help you continue as you are or
possibly help develop/expand the business into new markets?

A trainee on the other hand can only help you keep the status quo, by often demanding
as much time as they free up, at least until sufficiently trained.

I'm sure many others will have differing opinions on this, so listen to all then make up
your own pro's and con's list biased to your requirements.

Good luck, Peter.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:59 pm

From experience, there is no easy or fast way around this Sally.

This job is one that can require 2 people 1 day and not enough for 1 person the next.

What aspects of signmaking are you struggling to cope with alone specifically?. Fitting?, backing up?.

Rod
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:35 pm

Geeeee guys, I have been up to my eyes in work and only just got time to read & digest this.
Like my last post I will reply later with more questions, but want to say a big thank you to you all for replying. It has given me much food for thought!

:thanks2:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:33 am

Get to know other guys around your area that do the same as you... You can then help each other out. I've got a guy that I help out regularly and he helps me out as well. He pays me a fair hourly rate and I pay him the same. We've both agreed not to poach each others customers.

You're really lucky having this resource (UKSG) at your disposal...I'd start looking here for help first.

Lee

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat