my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Home Made Production Software

<<

Julius Tinker

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 am

Home Made Production Software

About 10 months ago I got a position at a sign company as a prodcution manager at a fairly new sign company here were I live. We searched high and low for software that we could use to price and quote signs. After about two weeks of looking at different software we landed on a cheap excel spreadsheet software and needless to say it didnt do the job.

I looked at it and thought to myself, we just spent money on this.....why. Im a software engineer im pretty certain i could do a better job. So my project began. It started off as a simple flash estimator but i quickly realized that data entry would be a big problem and the language itself was not enough to support my plans of implementing a full crm.

So i scrapped the entire thing and about a months worth of programming to start anew in php & mysql. That was about 9 months ago. There was a giant middle ground in the software that I noticed it was either pay big bucks for what you need or pay a smaller fee for pretty something not so great.

When I am done i plan to release the cloud system that I designed for my shop for free. I attached some screenshots of the progression.
So far the current build of the software handles Invoicing, Estimation, Full CRM, Inventory Control, Accounting, Production Job Board, Reports along with a bunch of other features. Interestingly enough I got an offer to be bought out by another sign estimation company a few moths ago when i began to flesh the thing out and said that I was releasing it for free. But I decided to go against it and continue with my original plan.
Attachments
Personal.jpg
Personal
Reports.jpg
Reports
production.jpg
Production
invoice_calculate.jpg
Estimation
invoice_add.jpg
Add Invoices
Invoice.jpg
Invoices
calander.jpg
Calander
Bills.jpg
Bills
accounting_journal.jpg
Accounting Journal
accounting.jpg
Accounting
Dashboard.jpg
Dashboard
final flash.jpg
Final Flash Build
Eventually Scrapped
overhead.jpg
Second Draft
sign.jpg
First Draft
<<

James Sahota

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:01 am

Julius

This looks great! I'm not at all surprised you were offered a buy out, I think this software will definitely cause a stir.

If you need anyone to do some beta testing for you I would be happy to as I'm currently looking for a new solution for our business.

We've been using clarity for a while now but I would like something new that easy for all staff members to get there head around.

When is this due for full release?
<<

Julius Tinker

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 am

Full release date was slated for a month ago lol. but these things are never accurate. Its looking like the beginning of december. The entire system is setup in inches and feet as of right now. I had a bout three us companies doing beta and am actually looking for some testers from across the pond.
<<

James Sahota

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:36 am

Would be interested in testing this although I suggest your probably need to have an option in mm and cm here in the UK
<<

Julius Tinker

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 am

Without a doubt, I honestly only thought about the option just a few weeks ago, the train of thought that eventually led me here. Its a simple fix though probably save it for one of the last changes. Also, I know your face looked familiar, youre in one of the roland videos. Hey look its that guy!
<<

James Sahota

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:49 am

Yeah that's me the Roland man! Everywhere I go related to signage people recognise who I am....not a good thing when you walk I into a rival business and pretend your a customer....lol
<<

Duncan Wilkie

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:10 am

A huge challenge you've taken on there Julius. Congratulations on your progress.
<<

Gert du Preez

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 pm

We also tried a few options, the last one being Sign-VOX.

Not happy with them. So we contacted a local programmes (works at a bank) to write us a programme.

Works a treat. Handles Quotes, prints Jobcards / Manufacturing Sheet / Invoice checking sheet / Delivery Notes (and partial delivery notes) etc.

It also maintains the client database, payment terms etc - For both Debtors and Creditors, and maintains the stock-keeping.

Had a few bugs early on, but now it is a HUGE production aid, especially since we do a huge number of quotes per day, and maintain a very extensive inventory (We are a 40+ person company)

Looks to me like the 3rd World operators are more likely to find tailored / in-house solutions than our compatriots in the Developed world :D
<<

John Hughes

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Well done Julius......impressive !!

John

Return to General Software Topics