my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Help with 20 meter sign

<<

1 Star Contributor

Posts: 16

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:49 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:27 am

Help with 20 meter sign

Hi guys,

I have a customer who wants a 20 meter x 5 ft high sign. this will be about 8-9 hoardings butted together and screwed on the front brick wall.

I am hoping to use 7 year vinyl to floodcoat the boards, as the background will be yellow . it will then have text on the front in cut vinyl.

i am just weary that a year down the line if the vinyl shrinks what if it leave a 2mm white edge on all the boards??

any ideas on what you would do??
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 5173

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:01 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 am

wrap 15mm of excess vinyl round the edges and onto the back when you floodcoat...problem solved :)
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 2909

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:47 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:48 am

why can you use yellow composite board as the hoarding? Or paint it to spec
<<

3 Star Contributor

Posts: 212

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:31 am





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Yip, im sure it would be a lot easier just to buy the sheets in yellow, even though they are more expensive, it is a lot less hassle/time and no come backs on you about the vinyl shrinking :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Posts: 16

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:49 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi,

I have thought of buying in yellow and it is more expensive but it is a thought. just weighing up what would be the best way to do it should buying in yellow composite is not an option. the other problem is yellow sheets are only available in diabond and not in hoarding grade which means the expense is a lot higher, considering the size of the sign.
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 2909

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:47 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 pm

there are different makes, have you looked at skybond, amaribond, reynabond?
<<

User avatar

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Posts: 941

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:01 am





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Chris Windebank wrote:there are different makes, have you looked at skybond, amaribond, reynabond?


jamesbond :roll:

It had to be done :D
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 2909

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:47 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 pm

lol, is there no grafibond yet?
<<

User avatar

4 Star Contributor

Posts: 374

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:08 am





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:35 pm

They tried but to much reflection on the gloss side :D
Attachments
682.jpg
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 1401

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:38 pm

davidMATTHEWS wrote:Hi,

I have thought of buying in yellow and it is more expensive but it is a thought. just weighing up what would be the best way to do it should buying in yellow composite is not an option. the other problem is yellow sheets are only available in diabond and not in hoarding grade which means the expense is a lot higher, considering the size of the sign.


All along you talk about a SIGN, yet you want to use HOARDINGboard , hoarding board is for hoardings, short term signage around a site etc, it is not intended for a long term sign. There is a huge difference in the two items, the aluminium will probably delaminate before your vinyl will shrink.
Use the proper stuff, yellow fabrication grade ACM ,
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 2521

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:58 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Why not just use yellow ACM :-?
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 588

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:20 pm





Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Hoarding Panel

Sorry Ian Johnstone I have to disagree, we use hoarding board and have done for 5 years we use about 100 sheets per month, there is nothing wrong with it when used as flat board on flat surface
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 5173

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:01 pm





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:06 am

Re: Hoarding Panel

Adrian Hewson wrote:Sorry Ian Johnstone I have to disagree, we use hoarding board and have done for 5 years we use about 100 sheets per month, there is nothing wrong with it when used as flat board on flat surface
agree with you there. Hoarding or lower grade has its place especially as flood coated or digital print coated signage where the ALU thickness makes little or no difference.
Trays on the other hand...I only use the better dibond / alucobest with thick skins.

Dave
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 842

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:07 am





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Surely even if it cost an extra £15 per sheet to buy yellow ACM, there must be enough margin in a 20 metre sign to allow for that, especially considering the time and cost to flood coat each board, and then the potential comebacks for the vinyl lifting/shrinking?


John
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 2521

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:58 pm





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:39 pm

John Dorling wrote:Surely even if it cost an extra £15 per sheet to buy yellow ACM, there must be enough margin in a 20 metre sign to allow for that, especially considering the time and cost to flood coat each board, and then the potential comebacks for the vinyl lifting/shrinking?


John


Ditto……..we should have a like button on this site. :D
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 842

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:07 am





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:58 pm

A favourite quote of mine, can't remember where I saw it last but it's been used a lot:

'I'd rather have to explain the price of quality, than apologise for anything less'.

Or if you prefer.

'The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten'.

If you've already priced the job and there's not enough margin to buy yellow board then chances are your price was too low, if you haven't priced it yet then charge extra to allow for the cost of the yellow boards. Either way you will save yourself a headache and you can be happy in the knowledge that in five year's time you can drive past that sign and it will still look good.

Just my opinion, you know your market so in the end it's up to you, but I would be interested to know how you get on.

John
Last edited by John Dorling on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

User avatar

3 Star Contributor

Posts: 242

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:00 am





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Neil Davey wrote:
John Dorling wrote:Surely even if it cost an extra £15 per sheet to buy yellow ACM, there must be enough margin in a 20 metre sign to allow for that, especially considering the time and cost to flood coat each board, and then the potential comebacks for the vinyl lifting/shrinking?


John


Ditto……..we should have a like button on this site. :D



Again, Ditto

you should only flood coat a panel when its a particular colour you need as its not worth the hassle otherwise
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 842

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:07 am





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:25 pm

And by the way, if the sign is 5' (1524mm) high you will struggle to get vinyl wide enough to cover it in one piece anyway, so you would have to have either a join, or use wrapping vinyl which will give you no bleed to wrap round the back, and cost you £20 per metre. Also you will need to use 3m x 1.5m boards so should only need 7.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 1966

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:54 am





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:15 pm

All this good advice for free and not a peep from the question asker, theres thanks for you! :roll:
<<

User avatar

3 Star Contributor

Posts: 242

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:00 am





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Mike Grant wrote:All this good advice for free and not a peep from the question asker, theres thanks for you! :roll:


Awww come on Mike....he'll be busy flood coating the panels :lol1:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Posts: 16

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:49 pm





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Lol yes thanx for all the advice. It is very much appreciated. I'v always bought sheets from Aamari and yes if its only gonna cost £15.00 more a sheet i would rather buy in yellow sheets. it would probably work out the same if not just save £2 or £3.00. Where would be the best place to buy yellow sheets?? Amari is a bit dear so I was wondering if I can find elsewhere.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 2782

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:44 am





Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Download the "Sign Toolbar", a wealth of supplier information contained within...
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 5173

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:01 pm





Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:53 am

davidMATTHEWS wrote:Lol yes thanx for all the advice. It is very much appreciated. I'v always bought sheets from Aamari and yes if its only gonna cost £15.00 more a sheet i would rather buy in yellow sheets. it would probably work out the same if not just save £2 or £3.00. Where would be the best place to buy yellow sheets?? Amari is a bit dear so I was wondering if I can find elsewhere.


RIGHTONS
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 842

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:07 am





Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:03 am

davidMATTHEWS wrote:Lol yes thanx for all the advice. It is very much appreciated. I'v always bought sheets from Aamari and yes if its only gonna cost £15.00 more a sheet i would rather buy in yellow sheets. it would probably work out the same if not just save £2 or £3.00. Where would be the best place to buy yellow sheets?? Amari is a bit dear so I was wondering if I can find elsewhere.


It will probably be a bit more than an extra £15 for the 3 x 1.5 sheets but bear in mind it would also be much more expensive to flood coat these.

John
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 8340

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:00 am





Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:20 pm

As John has already pointed out what vinyl are you going to use to floodcoat the board? If your talking about a standard polymeric vinyl then the widest is about 1260 mm wide which isn't enough.
Even some of the wrap vinyls won't be wide enough so how much is the yellow vinyl going to cost never mind the time it will take to floodcoat.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 7257

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:32 pm





Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:17 pm

The old timers on here will remember that before vinyl there was stuff called paint, :D
Can even be got in yellow, or so the old timers say anyway, (Martin, Elsmore and Neil Davey etc) :D

Return to Vinyl



Who is online

Registered users:
ChrisBolt, Kevin Busby

 

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

 

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group
Site Membership
Advertising
Videos
British Signs & Graphics Assoc.

 

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Linkedin
Instagram
Pinterent

 

Who is Online

In total there are 66 users online ::
3 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests
[based on past 5 minutes]

Most users ever online was
370 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Registered users:
ChrisBolt, Kevin Busby

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Robert Lambie