my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Problems after downloading a macro.

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Problems after downloading a macro.

I think I may have downloaded a dodgy macro (are they potentially malicious?) as Corel seems to have gone mad, taking ages to save simple files and making them huge.
Anybody recognize this and am I right to be suspicious of the macro?

Will a reinstall of Corel cure my problems?
Help please, simple jobs are taking an age to complete.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Don't know if such macros exist Harry, might depent where you downloaded it from. Before you go uninstalling & reinstalling corel might be worth rolling your computer back to before you downloaded & installed the macro to see if that gets rid of it.
Try running a deep scan with your anti virus to see if it picks up anything as well.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Pretty much what Martin says - but...

Have you tried uninstalling the macro in Corel?
Has it affected the speed of any other applications apart from Corel (when Corel is closed - important!)?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 am

Out of interest what macro is it, what was it supposed to do and from where did you get it. The majority of macros I use come from Oberon or Macro Monster and are fine. Before you reinstall Draw try restarting Draw with F8 first to restore factory defaults. Deleting gms file and restarting Draw ith F8 would help
Alan D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:34 am

Not sure where I got it Alan, it was off a tutorial site but it was this one
http://woxxom-macros.blogspot.ie/2007/1 ... -upd4.html

Just thinking this morning that maybe I had the start of the problem before I downloaded the Macro because I was having problems with painfully slow opening of a couple of multipage documents I was working on. But it has gotten worse since.

28pg A5 document with some pics and text, minimal shading and fills and no transparencies or memory sapping effect is now showing 1,108, 902 KB's.

Have started re-doing the doc from scratch on an older machine and install of Corel and no similar probs so far.

* I am ashamed to admit that I am still running XP wirh X3 (always worked for me), maybe it is time to bite the bullet!
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Possibly Harry, before you rebuild the file completely export the file as cmx and then import it back into Draw and see if that helps. Watch out for any effects that may go missing but the base should be there.
Alan D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Nothing wrong with still running XP as far as I am concerned Harry, still run it myself on a couple of machines & not looking to change.
If it works for you then I don't see the point in upgrading which always comes with additional expenses like software upgrades etc etc.
Having said that I will upgrade if I have to, got one machine running windows7 64bit but that was because of the software I was running rather than the need to upgrade windows & that machine also runs windows xp & windows 98 via vmware player which is a virtual machine program.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Go to Maplins and buy some more RAM for your machine. It's a cheap as chips nowadays. XP will run a lot faster with more memory, boot up quicker and even make you better in bed :-?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Phill although most of that is true if your running a 32bit operating system you can't go above 4meg RAM so only true to a point. You could put more than 4meg in but windows wouldn't recognise any more than 4.

Don't know about being better in bad though, guess my memory is to old for that sort of thing. :lol1: :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks guys, on a print deadline here so don't have time to sort the original just yet. Will try it later.

As to my abilities in bed, I have been called Superman and Tarzan....but unfortunately I keep waking up! :(

Return to Corel Software