my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Flexi 10 starter to Signlab 9 vinyl

<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:03 am

Flexi 10 starter to Signlab 9 vinyl

Was speaking to Harry at Edward Mathias today and I'm thinking of stepping up to Signlab 9 vinyl from Flexi 10 starter (LIYU OEM version). What's the difference using Signlab compared to using Corel Draw with Flexi Starter as I've been doing? I would continue with Flexi but it's locked to Chinese machines even after installing the Graphtec driver.

Cheers

Ewan
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 am

Ewan
why not download the driver/plugin to allow you to cut direct from Corel, don't use it myself but may be of use to you

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/support/

Kev
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 am

I use both Signlab and Corel Draw for signs and typesetting. You can cut direct from Draw using Cutting Master (which I believe is a cut down Flexi thing) for the Graphtec, it has some nice features but I do find it very slow. If Draw is loaded first installing Signlab will put a button in Draw so you can transfer stuff easily (convert to curves first) but I tend to export as Ai and import into SL as that retains colour better and you can choose to covert text to curves on export leaving your original drawing intact. Cutting from SL is very easy and I think it is much better. Depending on which version of SL you have you will have many more tools to use either way Draw and SL go very well together.
Alan D
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:18 am

I am currently using the corel plugin as flexi won't run my graphtec. I quite like it, I am having issues importing plt files to corel from serif draw plus as it's changing nodes on some designs, if I open a plt on flexi it cuts perfect. I suppose all I have to do is stop using serif but I find serif easier for certain tasks. I had an issue with the media moving too much for my liking with the plugin but I changed the cut order so it cuts the way I like to now.

cheers

Ewan
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 am

Ewan you can download a 14 day free trial of SignLab from Cadlink, worth having a play to see if you like it.

Nigel
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:26 am

Ewan, have you tried exporting from serif draw as a different file format ALL drawing packages handle some file types better than others best way to find out which works best is to experiment.
Other thing is why are you using serif if you have corel? Would be far easier to learn to use corel to do all your work in to start with.
I'm not a corel user myself but from what I have read it will be capable of doing most if not all the work you will be doing.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:48 am

Nigel, I downloaded it there. Straight away I have fell in love with the ease of the cut contour feature. I will have a play around with it later on. It's hard to get my head around the layout compared to what I'm used to.

cheers

Ewan
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:50 am

Martin, I know how to use most things on Corel but Serif is quicker for some things but I am using Corel more often these days. Serif is really good for sublimation work I find but obviously I don't need cutting software for that.

cheers

Ewan
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Serif (Draw Plus) is pretty good value for money, I find it not so slick as Corel Draw but if you export as pdf files normally come into Draw quite well. Some Serif effects may cause issues but vector work it normally ok.
Alan D

Return to Signlab Software