• TIMELINE

I have just ordered a gerber egde printer, is this OK for me

<<

4PLATES

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:40 pm

I have just ordered a gerber egde printer, is this OK for me

Hi,

I am new to this forum, we have been making car number plates for 2 years using a plain thermal printer, but we have ordered a new gerber edge printer and a gerber gsx15 plus plotter, we ordered this to make fancy number plates, we would also like to start making signs in vinyl, I used to make signs about 10 years ago and enjoyed it, and would like to start again, this would be in addition to the number plates, is the gerber edge printer (380mm) suitable for heavy use in the vinyl sign business??, I saw a poll the other day on this site that showed only 2% of you use a printer and a plotter with a width of 380mm, I am beginning to think we should have got something bigger, what do you think??

Simon
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:14 pm

Hard one mate... the edge is certainly a proven money maker for signs and of course many other areas it is equaly as suitable.
If it was more plates than anything else I would say no! There are actually thermal number plate printers on the market specifically for this and only a grand or so... cant be certain. For more info on these machines go to front page (home page) very bottom on left advert.. Contact Paul and he can set you up with making plates and advice on plates. I have another supplier for these machines also but would have to get back to you as I have details in work.

Regarding edge for sign making... well im guessing your out about 10 grand? (only my own opinion) but ten grand can get you a machine more than double the width, equal durability, faster cutting and printing lower ink cots etc with better output. The machine.. The cadet. In my eyes.. For the small to average sized company. It’s "the signmakers printer" of today.
Like all machines it has little drawbacks but on a whole it’s my choice... if signs are what you make then ide advise anyone to go for it, if they can afford near the ten grand mark.

Remember, this is only my opinion.. and shouldn’t be taken as gospel.. but you asked. :D
I’m sure others will have their own. :D
<<

Dazzel

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:19 pm

Gerber 4 plates...like a mallet to crack an egg. Too expensive in my view for plates. But then again i am biased ! :). I won't advertise because i value my membership more than a extra business. I'll leave that to Rob (thanks mate).

If you need advice - that's free...just contact me.

Paul
<<

evox

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:31 pm

I agree with Rob, I bought an edge back in october 2003 and wish i would have researched the market a bit more before jumping in feet first!

As for branching into vinyl, you will probably find that 380mm will be a struggle.
<<

4PLATES

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:01 pm

gerber edge

Hello Dazzel,

I thought about the colour system on your website ;~), but never got round to contacting you about it, we would like to slowly branch out into making signs as well as number plates, and a couple of people mentioned the edge for it's quality, we don't want to start making huge signs like some of the guys on this group, we want to start with small graphics, I would not like to start doing a load of trucks like the ones Robert did (the milk trucks), for a start, can 't imagine cutting all that with a 380mm plotter!!

Simon
<<

Kevin.Beck

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:08 pm

I`ve had an edge now for about a year.

Yes it has its draw backs, but it has its advantages too.

I do a lot of silver/gold onto dark colours, thats why I went for the edge.

The 380mm sometimes makes me think should I have bought another machine.

Just a quick question. Can ink machine print onto clear and then back with white...
<<

Andy Gorman

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:09 pm

I still believe the Edge has a place in signmaking. OK there are bigger printers with higher quality output, but I have used the Edge and it brought us a lot of work and made a lot of money. I would seriously consider the other machines available if I was looking for a printer, but I know I could make good use of an Edge if I had one now. It's still a good machine and I'm sure you will discover lots of new things you can do with it other than just number plates.
<<

Darryl Seager

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:11 pm

i have bought a gerber edge

For Plates NO,NO,No!!!
Strictly speaking Spandox, have nothing in their vast array of materials that you can make BSau145d approved plates from!!!! Take no notice of the 'samples' in the portfolio or in what the rep says!

The 'samples' in the portfolio "are not number plates, but signs".
Spandex do not have any materials in the book that are approved for number plate manufacture, and as such cannot supply any.... so, how do you make your plates??

darryl
( p.s we got pulled in on this one as well!)
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:22 pm

Hi mate...
I’m honestly not implying this is the work you should be looking at.
All I am saying is you can get a machine for the same price that can do so much more & with less running costs.
The edge is a great machine but running costs and size restriction prevent you from breathing properly.
Hers another option that will ½ your initial outlay to the edge. Based on what you have said..

Buy a black or colour thermal number plate machine.. Cost £1000or so...
Also, buy a 610 wide vinyl cutter with some good sign software. Cost... £2500 or so...
Vinyl & ribbon stock etc... £500
You are now in the perfect position to set-up as you wished... If you do get some print work to do it’s easily bought in from trade suppliers very reasonable these days.

If the complete package at minimal costs, ide revert back to the cadet..

hope this helps some mate :D
<<

Dazzel

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:23 pm

Re: i have bought a gerber edge

[quote="Darryl"]For Plates NO,NO,No!!!

Darryl good point.

If you are making or wishing to make ! BSAU145D plates - ie legal one's then you should source all your number plate components from a single supplier. The BSAU145D test involves weathering, impact etc etc and the certificates issued only apply to the test where all components were supplied by the same source. so if you buy reflective from A and acrylic from B , technically you are not covered by the BSAU. Moot point i know..cause who the hell is going to test it !! but you never know ??

Paul

Becky....print onto clear ? The laser can print onto clear adhesive panels then back with white...depends on size of print and what you want it to do ? Manufacturer states that uv res is 3/4 years for 1st fade and 5/7 years before it looks iffy :)
<<

4PLATES

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:24 pm

gerber edge

hello Darryl,

our suppliers of blank reflective for the plates also use a gerber edge and it was our suppliers that mentioned the gerber edge to us, before you ask, they don't supply machines like the edge, they passed me onto another firm!!, I know of other plate makers that only use the edge for making plates, it seems you can pass the reflective through it just like any other thermal printer!

Simon
<<

Dazzel

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:30 pm

Simon

You can use the edge exactly as you say and is does a reasonable job. I don;t know the cost for a oblong plate with the edge but our laser does the job for c. 5p black and 10p full colour. So not bad !!!

Think the point all the guys are trying to help with is that the edge is a very high quality machine/cost for just producing plates.

I agree with Rob - I would go for a cadet..seen it in action and boy what a toy..in my humble opinion beats the edge all hands up.

Edge can print silver etc so if that;s important go with it..

Paul :)
<<

4PLATES

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:33 pm

gerber edge

Dazzel,

the aim of getting the edge was for fancy show plates in full colour, they are not intended for road use, we have a pronto printer that we use for printing the road legal plates to the BSAU 145d standards and all our components are sourced from a UK supplier!.

Simon
<<

Darryl Seager

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:40 pm

gerber for Plates

Simon, i hear what you are saying, refer to dazzels post (above)
I know it can be done,not strictly legally though, iwas just trying to point out that the Gerber is not for making plates with materials supplied by Spandox, even thoughthey illustrate the point in the portfolio.

Like dazzel says who's going to test, and what with????
If your acrylic is stamped with the BSAU145d logo in the bottom right corner thats all the MOT tester needs and in deed Mr Plod the policeman.
They won't know if its printed on kosher reflective,cut vinyl or whatever...
... so why pay all that money out if you've no need!!!

I ordered some acrylics from a Midland supplier and they arrived with no BSAU145d marks on the right corner, when i phoned to get replacements, i was told " print it onto the reflective yourself"... !!!!!!! Who would contemplate such a thing.... i mean.. just to save £40 registration fee....tut,tut,tut....

Darryl
<<

4PLATES

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:43 pm

can someone give me a link or two that gives info on the cadet??, no harm in looking.

Simon
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:57 pm

<<

Dazzel

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:09 pm

ha ha ha ha ha....yes this is a great one... only 1 supplier in whole country actually prints the bsau145 legend on the acrylic...and it ain;t us... ha ha...shows what a bloody nonsense it is...

anyway simon,i think you are ok anyway ! has the legilsation passed thru the irish parliment yet ? don;t think so...or indeed in scotland...it's just us mad english..oh and the poor welsh..that have the full impact of the law...

Good luck

Paul
<<

4PLATES

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:20 pm

Thanks for the link Robert, I will take a look later on!

Simon
<<

Adrian Hewson

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:24 pm

Gerber Edge 2

Hi

First reply, just joined today, seems like a good site for insomniacs touched with loss of life (but then I'm here so thats me too)

WE have had a Gerber Edge 2 and 750 plotter for 18 months, tedious hard work, expensive, time consuming (18 Grand interest free plus accessories) cartridges from Duracoat are much cheaper and produce better definition in full process. But we do a lot of T Shirts and clothes so it is great for AC Flex and Heat transfer paper so we can print on any colour of fabric including hi viz.

We are expecting delivery of our Roland SC540Ex on Monday and will say good ridance to the GE2 for mainstream graphics, using Ink Technologies ink instead of Roland much cheaper and the customer and technical support are awsome, Roland eat your heart out (and your wallet)

(hot)
<<

Adrian Hewson

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:53 pm

To Darryl (I dont know how to reply directly

To print on hi viz you are best using heat transfer paper, you can print normal using normal gerber (or duracoat colours onto this ), this also works well for full colur printing onto white T - Shirts, for single colours onto coloured tshirts best using ac flex, both ac flex and heat transfer paper avail from spandex, dont look at list price but give rep a hard time and you will get much cheaper

Regards Adrian
<<

James kelly

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:11 am

Signco, who and where are Ink Technologies?
<<

Adrian Hewson

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:00 am

Ink Technologies

Ink Technologies UK Ltd
Unit 10a Brookfield Business Park
Cheadle
Cheshire
SK8 2PN

Tel 0161 495 3900
Fax 0161 495 3909
www.itgb.com

Main man Peter Williams

Regards Adrian
<<

Darryl Seager

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:30 pm

gerber 2

Cheers for that Adrian,

Think we'll give it a go.
darryl
<<

MARTY

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:16 pm

We have been making plates for over ten years and have tried the thermal printers which are basically converted bar code printers and are crap. Untill now most of our plates are made from cut vinyl but we have just got one of the Oki laser printers that dazel speaks of and the quality for plates is excellent so far. Iam still not convinced about the fade factor though. We are currently using it set to black & white for plates which I know won't fade but I am still a little apprehensive about using colour on plates especially reds and blues for GB plates and badges if it does last then it will be brilliant.
As for peoples comments about legal matters most of it is crap, even when you buy from proper dealers like we do, they use so many different suppliers you don't know what your getting.
We do quite a lot of work for various police officers and they all tell us the
new law regarding registration is unworkable.
We take all the details we can ID etc but still end up in arguments with customers and thats no way to run a business when your supposed to be selling them something to make money and you say they can't have it !
<<

Darryl Seager

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:48 pm

plates

agree with all your points Marty, the whole things a farce!!
as i said in an earlier post, register to get the supplies and then use which ever method you can to do what you need to do!!

If it costs £2000-3000 to get a plate through the BS test, can't see any Police authority trying to prove you guilty( which is the case in law).

Darryl
<<

Dazzel

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:51 pm

Marty - Colours..The Tech' people at oki tell us that the colour should only start to fade after 3/4 years and a user life should be at least 6/7 for outside applications. With the method you are using , printing reverse onto poly then the uv resistance is greater as the poly acts as a laminate.

Paul
<<

Dave Springate

3 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:13 am

Uniform Cadet

Hi Robert, just followed the link you supplied for the Uniform Cadet machine. We are a small company looking to purcase our first full colour printer / cutter. This "cadet" machine looks identical to the Versa camm that we have been looking at. Roland are quoting £8999.00 for the versa camm whats the price for the Cadet? Do they do lease purchase? just e-mailed Roland to see if they can do the Versa camm on a lease purchase, no reply as yet.

Bets rgds
Dave
<<

4PLATES

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:32 pm

gerber edge

I got the gerber edge this week, I am very happy with my choice of printer, thanks for the advice from this forum.

Simon

Return to General Cutter topics

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation