my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Ken Mileham: Hand Drawn Illustrations, Murals and more..

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:29 am

Ken Mileham: Hand Drawn Illustrations, Murals and more..

Hey guys, well - as promised, here's some of my illustrations which I've created over the past year, something which I'm looking at including into my chalk-board work and mural design..

I'll add more to this portfolio as I find my images (theyr'e on various SD cards all over the place!..)
Attachments
_thumbnail - kitchen mural.jpg
My first attempt at a wall mural - something for the wife, this resides in our kitchen!..
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:31 am

This is an eagle, a monstrosity of a thing, cast in plaster - I was asked to give it a bit of a re-spray..

Apologies for the picture quality, my friend took these with his phone - the second picture is just to give you an idea of its size..
Attachments
_thumbnail - Eagle mural.jpg
That's a big eagle..
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 am

Something a bit more traditional now, here's one of my more popular illustrations, I created this a while ago, it's a huge picture of Shibden Hall - a local tourist attraction in my local town, namely Halifax, West Yorkshire..

This picture does'nt really do the image credit - it's just over A2 in size..
Attachments
_thumbnail - Shibden.jpg
Shibden Hall, Shibden Park, Halifax.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 am

and finally, some of my recent portraiture work, this one was my first attempt at a portrait (as I've usually stuck with drawing architecture in the past..)

This little fella is my son, Jake.
Attachments
_thumbnail - jake.jpg
Jake.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 am

Here's another - this time a bit bigger (Jakes picture was a practice, only A4)

My daughter Jessica joins her older brother in this A2 piece..
Attachments
_thumbnail - jake and jessica.jpg
Jake and Jessica..
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 am

And finally - my first commissioned piece, this little girl was drawn from a standard photograph, I recreated it to an A3 sized picture..

Inset shows the original photograph.

This was originally going to be enlarged, and reprinted onto a banner, and after advising the girls mother that it would'nt enlarge without bitmapping, I suggested that I redrew it instead.

Thankfully, she loved the end result - and commissioned me to draw another (different) picture for her mother-in-law!
Attachments
_thumbnail - niamh.jpg
Niamh - aged 2 years.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 am

I have some chalkboard pictures somewhere too - and in the next few weeks, I have a couple of large murals to paint up, one for a pub car-park, the other for a little lad's nursery, so as they are complete, I'll post these too!

Hope you enjoy my pics, see you soon!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 am

Fantastic work!

John
<<

Roland DG UK Ltd
Roland DG UK Ltd

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am

Love it, always great to see a creative mind transferring to different mediums!
<<

Roland DG UK Ltd
Roland DG UK Ltd

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 am

Thought I'd share with you a mural that I did last year for a friend in his kick boxing gym. He wanted a few different thing incorporated such as a Buddha, khoi, a tree and the symbol of life (above the tree). He also wanted water and a waterfall. I used mostly spray paint with a few details in paint pen, and a vinyl cutout for the kick-boxer and the symbol (was a little too tricky and detailed for sprays!). I hope you like it, would be great to see more examples of mural work![/img]
Attachments
mural.jpg
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 am

That looks brill! - I like the idea of the tree in the centre, that window would have confused the hell out of me, I would'nt have known what to do!

The mural i have coming up is going to be a bit of a challenge, as I have'nt really much knowledge of what paint to use, and it's a childs bedroomtoo, so aerosols are a no-no..
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:49 pm

It's so nice to see some original creative and hand-done work.
Thank you both for sharing.
Love....Jill
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Great stuff Ken and Joe. Having been doing a bit of commissioned drawing myself this last while, great to get the pencils out again, but it's certainly not like 'riding a bike', need to keep at it all the time.
My wife commissioned my nephew to do this drawing as a xmas present for me. Extraordinary detail and mark making in this, which makes it more than a photo imo. Not my style of drawing either, would never have the discipline but I thought it was worth seeing. It's A3 in size.
Attachments
Beckett 4.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Ken Mileham wrote:
The mural i have coming up is going to be a bit of a challenge, as I have'nt really much knowledge of what paint to use, and it's a childs bedroomtoo, so aerosols are a no-no..

If wall is emulsioned, probably best to use the Cryla System3 series from Daler Rowney
http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/product/sy ... _ml_tubes/
<<

Roland DG UK Ltd
Roland DG UK Ltd

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Glad you like it guys, the non digital side of art working has always been a true passion of mine and I still keep it up when possible. I also like mixing between the different medias to create interesting effects!
Ken - When designing the window had caused me to wonder what I was going to do, was thinking of going with the tree on one said eand a large waterfall on the other however seemed more balanced this way...better 'zen' to fit with the scene :wink:
As for the paints for the kids bedroom I'd say most acrylics will be fine, and if you're a pen and pencil user always worth investing in some paint-pens...I get most of my stuff from graff-city, they have a range of manufacturers products.
Hope it goes well, be sure to share with us again if you don't mind!?
Cheers, Joe

...Also that portrait is incredible!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Joe Wigzell wrote:Glad you like it guys, the non digital side of art working has always been a true passion of mine and I still keep it up when possible. I also like mixing between the different medias to create interesting effects!
Ken - When designing the window had caused me to wonder what I was going to do, was thinking of going with the tree on one said eand a large waterfall on the other however seemed more balanced this way...better 'zen' to fit with the scene :wink:
As for the paints for the kids bedroom I'd say most acrylics will be fine, and if you're a pen and pencil user always worth investing in some paint-pens...I get most of my stuff from graff-city, they have a range of manufacturers products.
Hope it goes well, be sure to share with us again if you don't mind!?
Cheers, Joe

...Also that portrait is incredible!

Great site Joe, how durable are those paint markers? Are the usable outdoors?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Great advice there guys - especially with regards to the mural enquiry!

I use Graff-City a lot, their refillable markers are very cost effective - and I use ink refills from artifolk (mainly black and white) for by chalk boards.

Saves a fortune on chalk-pens, although their colour range isnt opaque enough - so I stick with normal chalk-pens.

As for incorporating my illustration skills with my signs, I'll do this via airbrushing to start, and hopefully refining my skills as I progress really.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Great illustrative work there guys. Always good to see some real hand drawn art.

Return to Gallery