Categories
  • TIMELINE

3D Sign Camp 2013

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm

3D Sign Camp 2013

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share some excitement. I've booked to go to 3D Sign Camp 2013 in the states. A new member here Robert Jones runs it.

Can't wait to have a week off and head over there and get my hands dirty.

http://www.3dsigncamp.com/2013-sign-camp/

:D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:52 am

Look forward to seeing you there in May! How did you hear about the camp?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:50 am

Will Dan Sawatsky be there?
If he is you'll have a great time.
<<

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:00 pm

get lots of pictures Jason and post them up mate! :D
i used to mess around doing carvings for myself many moons ago. just for fun though, and i enjoyed it.
went to a letterheads meet hosted by stewart mclaren and saw some guys carving at that. what a difference seeing how it should be done. the job looked like it had been done with a cnc router.

i followed roberts links in his profile and found that camp when he registered here on the boards just recently.

i have a couple of sheets of Signfoam in our router room from years back, i keep threatening to give it ago again. just time not on my side. :roll:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Sure you will have a great time Jason, would love to be able to do this sort of thing just for myself but doubt I have the talent required for such work.

As Robert says take lots of pictures & post them up here, sure there will be a lot of people interested.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:Look forward to seeing you there in May! How did you hear about the camp?

http://read.uberflip.com/i/76080/99

Saw it here. I really need to take more breaks from our day to day business or I will burn myself out. Figure I can learn something while being on holidays. I have never hand carved or hand painted and I'll never put myself in the same category but if I can learn something that I might use one day it will be worth it.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Neil Davey wrote:Will Dan Sawatsky be there?
If he is you'll have a great time.

Sure will be. He does awesome work. Really mind blowing.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Martin wrote:Sure you will have a great time Jason, would love to be able to do this sort of thing just for myself but doubt I have the talent required for such work.

As Robert says take lots of pictures & post them up here, sure there will be a lot of people interested.

Neither do I Martin. I will take heaps of pics in between trying to pick up certain things. I am more interest in letting the cnc do the carving. But learning which paints, which glues, how to mount etc will all interest me.

This will be more of a hobby for me then forming a large part of our main business. I like learning new things that relate to our industry.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:51 pm

hand carving is a great talent - a talent i don't have. all of the signs i do are done on a cnc. and most of the work dan does is on a cnc. of course he has a tremendous array of sculpting talent using abracadabra magic sulpting epoxy putty.
at my workshop, we show what is possible with a cnc.
although i use aspire software from vectric, dan uses enroute and others use artcam. artcam is sponsoring part of the camp and is giving away 5 copies of their software for a raffle, free!
i did not post anything about our workshop because i did not want to break any rules or offend anyone. this is my 9th workshop and i have some of the best instructors in the world come here.
i would love to come to england and host a workshop if anyone is interested in opening up their shop to such an event.
for questions about my workshops you can email me at robert2280@att.net
thanks
cheers
robert

ps - i want to add that very little time at my place is spent on lectures, if any. hands on sign making is what we do. you make and finish real signs and samples, from design to finishing. we spend alot of time on finishing methods.
Last edited by Robert Jones on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Never thought of it from that point of view Jason, letting the cnc do the hard part (well for me anyway) would work for me as well, knowing about the paints, adhesives, mounting etc etc is something that you could learn without to much trouble but then you have the problem of actually applying the paint lol
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:14 am

I have attended two of Dan Sawatzky's workshops in Yarrow, BC Canada and numerous seminars he has hosted at a local sign convention in Atlantic City, NJ USA. Dan is very warm and friendly, he will answer any question and will let you take as many photos of his work and his workshop that you like. One of the first things he will teach you is his belief that anyone can do what he does and shows you step by step how to get from design to completion in easy to grasp steps. It was an amazing experience and it has changed the way I do business and the kind of signs I sell. I highly recommend a visit. Both the Sign Magic Workshop and the Sculpture Magic Workshop last 3 days from 8am in the morning to 11pm at night. While there you get a little taste of all the steps involved in creating amazing dimensional signs. Lectures get you in the right state of mind followed by demos and hands on welding, painting, glazing, sculpting in epoxy putty and cement. You will get lots of samples to bring home and complete about 2 projects. There are also field trips to visit some of the amazing local work Dan is famous for. Attached are some pics of the shop in and out.
Attachments
Shop.jpg
Workshop.jpg
Dimensional.jpg
Library.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:00 am

Gary Johnson wrote:I have attended two of Dan Sawatzky's workshops in Yarrow, BC Canada and numerous seminars he has hosted at a local sign convention in Atlantic City, NJ USA. Dan is very warm and friendly, he will answer any question and will let you take as many photos of his work and his workshop that you like. One of the first things he will teach you is his belief that anyone can do what he does and shows you step by step how to get from design to completion in easy to grasp steps. It was an amazing experience and it has changed the way I do business and the kind of signs I sell. I highly recommend a visit. Both the Sign Magic Workshop and the Sculpture Magic Workshop last 3 days from 8am in the morning to 11pm at night. While there you get a little taste of all the steps involved in creating amazing dimensional signs. Lectures get you in the right state of mind followed by demos and hands on welding, painting, glazing, sculpting in epoxy putty and cement. You will get lots of samples to bring home and complete about 2 projects. There are also field trips to visit some of the amazing local work Dan is famous for. Attached are some pics of the shop in and out.

Hey Gary,

I just spent my afternoon going through Dan's blog and seeing the build progress of his new place and some of his sign projects. Pretty mind blowing and awesome to see how it all comes together. Can't wait to meet you I'm pretty excited at the moment :)

Return to General Sign Topics