my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

advice needed on Logo Projector?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Would anyone know of any UK company that supplies logo projectors for exterior use?

We have been asked to do signage for a very small doorway that is hidden, I think this is the best answer, someting that can project the logo onto the pavement. If exterior use is a problem, I am sure we cant have an interior one projecting through a window.

Money isn't really a problem either on this job does any one have any info on anything like this?

Also would planning be an issue with this?

Cheers,

Nigel
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28 pm

Nigel
might give you a starting point
projectionadvertising.co.uk

Kev
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 am

Or may be an exterior housing

audipack.com

they have a UK dealer in Farnborough

Kev
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 am

depending on the type of lamp, they use discs called gobos, they come in various sizes, for moving lights, Mac 250 / Mac 650 etc they use z size for source four lamps they use B sized gobos, they can be custom made, they can be sourced from DHA
dhalighting.co.uk

If you have a look at the web site it explains everything you need to know Prices start at £49.00 + the cost of the light,
for example, a source four-light can be sourced in various angles 33 degrees will allow a throw from a long way out (the most common type), used in the Theatre industry for projecting onto scenery 90 degrees (short-throw) up to 5 degrees for a very long throw.

etcconnect.com For moving headlights that's a whole different ball game.
<<

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 am

go to a DJ hire shop...

get an ex-hire oil wheel projector.
i picked a half a dozen up for £40 each.

Oil wheels them self are just coloured oil sandwiched between two glass plates.
as the light passes through it, the coloured oils begin to run into each other.
the wheels slowly rotate giving the bright coloured moving projecton onto whatever surface it is hitting.

anyway, the wheels come in different colours and styles.

just reverse cut black vinyl and stick it over the "wheel" lens. i.e. "the logo"
it will then be projected onto the surface too...

just mount it on a brack in the shop projecting out onto the pavement. it will then create a moving slowly spinning colour formation with the companies logo blacked out in the middle.

you can focus the lens, move close or away to increase the size of the projection.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:54 am

Rob giving your age away now, brings back memories of the sound to light units LOL anyway joking aside not sure if the light output from a Disco Projector will be bright enough for day light conditions, they would normally have a 250/300 watt projector bulb which when dark is fine, the larger lamps I mentioned have 750 to 1000 watts and even if used in a brightly lite shopping mall will still be visable, but I guess it is all down to budget, the other thing mentioned was that the fitting will be above a door so might be tight for space, so the large unit may be out of the question , interesting challenge non the less, can you post some pictures to give us an idea of size of doorway?
<<

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 am

:lol1: :lol1: true true... :wink:

i didnt think he meant during the day Graham, but can see where your coming from mate.

Victor Morris in glasgow often sold these projectors in the sunday mail. :wink: :D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 am

Ah Victor Morris free hunting knife and Airgun with every Projector, he is no longer in business, they went belly up a few years ago, I think he took the hint when the local police arrested him for the the 10th time. I am told he now sells ladies underwear (true)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks guys, some great inf here, will take a good look at everything! Daytime use would be good if effective does anyone know if they are worthwhile during daytime. Bear in mind this for oop North where during the winter in never gets light really, though during summer, never gets dark either!

Thanks for info though. Would there be planning issues, and is it acceptable to have them projected onto a road?

Nigel
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Projecting anything onto the road, would not be allowed , distraction for drivers, unless pedestrian zone, but tricky getting that one past planning authority, The issue with hanging or suspending anything over the heads of people is also a issue, the use of safety chains, and stamped and rated (load tested) fixings for the lampp and or housing, also the security of the the lamp should be considered (contained within a roller shuttered doorway etc). The size of image required should also be considered, expection of client. Also these units have to maintaned, this should be built into the quote.
regards Graham
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks for that! I figured onto a road would be a no no, projector would be wall mounted inside or out, not sure yet.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Nigel
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: advice needed on Logo Projector?

Nigel Hindley wrote:Money isn't really a problem either on this job

Nigel, Just run those words past me again, I think the last time I heard a customer utter those words was when I stood in some Rocking horse (oh i swore !) while watching some pigs fly overhead.

:D

Sounds and interesting job anyway and nice to see you back
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:52 am

Hey Martin Thanks, I was off work for most of last year had a pretty bad year, Back to business now and good to be back on the boards ;) The company in question here just want what they want and willing to pay for quality items and they like working with us. We offer ideas and value for money but budget isn't an option but as always value for money will always play a part. Great company to work with though always a pleasure ;)

Return to Neon, LED, Lighting