my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Private registrations

<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 1189

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 pm





Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Private registrations

Hello Everyone. :D

We are about to take delivery of a new van.

I have secretly being toying with the idea of a private reg. Prezzy for the hubby.

When I type in private registration into google, loads of websites come up, including the dvla.

I look on one, type in his name to see what is available, the ones that are available are shown. Does that company buy these and then hope to sell them, as some are duplicated on other sites, so how does that work? the prices are also vastly different for the same reg.

Yet some sites do not show those available on other websites..... so I am alittle confussed on how it works.

I have seen plates cheaper on some sites than the dvlas, how does that happen????

Is there a main site to see whats available or a site to confirm that a particular reg has gone?

hope all that makes sense.... it doesn`t to me LOL
<<

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 10438

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:36 pm





Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:37 pm

hi denise wait on rob to reply, hes the private reggy expert he has the best one ive seen in a long time........ :wink:
<<

User avatar

4 Star Contributor

Posts: 484

Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 9:20 am





Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Denise your a bad influence on me. after seeing your post i decided to have a quick look at some of the plates as ive always wanted one. and... ive just seen my dream plate! shame it has a dream price to go with it! :(

Martin
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 1189

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 pm





Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:05 am

Martin Gray wrote:Denise your a bad influence on me. after seeing your post i decided to have a quick look at some of the plates as ive always wanted one. and... ive just seen my dream plate! shame it has a dream price to go with it! :(

Martin


I have seen plates for £1000 and on another site, the same plate for £300. crazy
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 8556

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:43 am

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 am

Signs plates aren't too expensive, the first two letters can be anything other than DE, so, for eg Mo could have MO 51 GNS, I could have HP 51 GNS and so on. I think they're about £14-1600 iirc.

I did look up DRA 60N but it was offers over £50k. :-0
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 1296

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:41 pm





Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 am

Does it not have to do with the age of your car to what reg you can have - I don't think you can try to make an old car look younger by having a newer reg.

Also, these reg companies don't own any of the plates - they all sell the same one and take a cut off the top that's why the same reg is different prices at different companies.

Cheers John
<<

User avatar

4 Star Contributor

Posts: 425

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:41 pm





Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:18 am

I bought a cheep Northern Irish plate for £40.00 RUI 8163 it is very loosely personel as ru is the first 2 letters of my name and the rest sort of gives my date of birth 8-11-63 but got this as my preferred registration RU55 ELL sold for £72000.00

Plates make a car look that bit nicer but you can spend massive ammounts of money on them.

Regards

Russell.
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 155

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 10:16 pm





Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am

If possible, buy from the DVLA (only possible for unissued plates).

Other sites might list plates which the DVLA sell, but then add their fee to the DVLA purchase price. They sometimes try and sell you number plates as well. If a plate has already been issued, then it won't be listed on the DVLA, but may be listed elsewhere if the owner has permitted an agent to advertise it for sale.
<<

User avatar

*****
*****

Posts: 27233

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:00 am

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 am

John Gregson wrote:Does it not have to do with the age of your car to what reg you can have - I don't think you can try to make an old car look younger by having a newer reg.

Also, these reg companies don't own any of the plates - they all sell the same one and take a cut off the top that's why the same reg is different prices at different companies.

Cheers John



yeh the plate cant make the car look younger...

also, try get a plate that the letters "do not" need basterdized to read as you wish. if you do you will be subjected to constant pulls by the police. because they now have a no-nonsense approach to plates and those making them.

ide say go with dvla website over any...

.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 3855

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:50 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Nicola McIntosh wrote:hi denise wait on rob to reply, hes the private reggy expert he has the best one ive seen in a long time........ :wink:



knob 1...sorry sorry :D :oops: :cry:
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 11115

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:04 pm





Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 pm

I once made up a fictitious plate for the manager of the business next door to us at our last premises. He had been gloating to me about the new company car he'd been given. So, in a jealous act of revenge, I made up a yellow self adhesive vinyl sticker to put over his real number plate. I even managed to fit it without being seen and was looking forward to watching him drive away home at the end of the day when the laughter from the unit opposite allerted him to what was going on.

The false number plate consisted of W4 NKR

I so wish he hadn't spotted it before driving off :-?
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 1237

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 am





Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 pm

The false number plate consisted of W4 NKR


When I was in the self drive hire business the owner of a large Glasgow based competitor bought the plate "1 KER" which when read in a Glasgow accent says the same thing
:lol1:

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 10438

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:36 pm





Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Brian Little wrote:
Nicola McIntosh wrote:hi denise wait on rob to reply, hes the private reggy expert he has the best one ive seen in a long time........ :wink:

knob 1...sorry sorry :D :oops: :cry:



lol no the google one :lol1: :lol1:
<<

User avatar

*****
*****

Posts: 27233

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:00 am

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Brian Little wrote:
Nicola McIntosh wrote:hi denise wait on rob to reply, hes the private reggy expert he has the best one ive seen in a long time........ :wink:



knob 1...sorry sorry :D :oops: :cry:



nah, was gonna get

1CK13, M1DG3T, SM11RF or even M1N1M3... but thought with a name like Little you would have snapped them up before i could get my hands on them Brian. :wink:
<<

User avatar

*****
*****

Posts: 27233

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:00 am

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Nicola McIntosh wrote:
Brian Little wrote:
Nicola McIntosh wrote:hi denise wait on rob to reply, hes the private reggy expert he has the best one ive seen in a long time........ :wink:

knob 1...sorry sorry :D :oops: :cry:



lol no the google one :lol1: :lol1:



:lol1: Thanks Nik, that plates got me some of the oddest comments, i can tell yah. :lol1:
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 3855

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:50 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:02 pm

:D :D :D :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Posts: 74

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 am





Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:41 am

I have a number of plates all direct from DVLA.

Favourite is B15 POO which gets lots of laughs (on private car as wouldnt look too good on a van) this one was £300.00 many years ago and I have been told they wont issue any "rude" plates for past few years, was offered £1000.00 for it but I like it too much to part with it.

Got me thinking now as there are so many good combos can be made with the 2000 onwards layouts.

Ian.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 2442

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 1:00 am





Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Ian Davies 2011 wrote:I have a number of plates all direct from DVLA.

Favourite is B15 POO which gets lots of laughs (on private car as wouldnt look too good on a van) this one was £300.00 many years ago and I have been told they wont issue any "rude" plates for past few years, was offered £1000.00 for it but I like it too much to part with it.

Got me thinking now as there are so many good combos can be made with the 2000 onwards layouts.

Ian.


Pimlico Plumbers may be interested in that plate Ian. :lol1:

http://about-us.pimlicoplumbers.com/cor ... ber-plates
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 1923

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:13 am





Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 am

That's where the money from those over priced jobs went :lol1:
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 2828

Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:47 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:26 pm

so does it happen like this....
you buy your number that you want from the dvla..
return your log book to swansea telling them of your new number...
and thats it?
do swansea charge as well?
okay spending £300 on a plate...but if it costs another £100 to change it....
And do they send the actual physical plates in the post or do you have to go get them made after you have the log book changed....
questions questions I know....but id love to have them answered...
thanks for any advice.
Cheryl
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 11115

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:04 pm





Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:10 pm

If you buy from the DVLA it includes the cost of transfer. Later when you sell your car you need to spend £100 to retain the number - you can then assign it to any other car providing it's not producing a newer date then the car is. You take you retention certificate to your local tax office along with your current reg doucument. They then issue a new tax disc and will send you a new registration document showing the new number.

It's up to you to organise your own plates for which you will need to provide proof of owning the reg number along with proof of identity.

I recently went to my local motor factors to buy new plates for my van, I had my registration document with me but the counter staff insisted on proof of identity. I told him to speak to the owner who would know who I was and could vouch for me, only to be told "yes I know who you are as well but I still need proof of identity" :roll:

Needless to say I had a hissy fit and stormed out in a strop :-?
<<

User avatar

*****
*****

Posts: 27233

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:00 am

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:22 pm

I bought my plate and didnt get round to putting it on my car.
Speaking to someone by chance they told me taht if i dont pay £25 each year its not on the car, i loose the plate.
called DVLA and they confirmed. i was late by a few weeks but they let it go and i managed to hold onto it. it was about 2 years later when i changed my car i got round to putting the plate on. once on theres no fee of course.
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 2828

Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:47 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:05 pm

thanks for the advice Phil n Rob
Cheryl
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 1401

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Phill Fenton wrote:

I recently went to my local motor factors to buy new plates for my van, I had my registration document with me but the counter staff insisted on proof of identity. I told him to speak to the owner who would know who I was and could vouch for me, only to be told "yes I know who you are as well but I still need proof of identity" :roll:

Needless to say I had a hissy fit and stormed out in a strop :-?


add the last bit, "at which point i went home and made them myself" :lol1:
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 1189

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 pm





Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Ian Johnston wrote:
Phill Fenton wrote:

I recently went to my local motor factors to buy new plates for my van, I had my registration document with me but the counter staff insisted on proof of identity. I told him to speak to the owner who would know who I was and could vouch for me, only to be told "yes I know who you are as well but I still need proof of identity" :roll:

Needless to say I had a hissy fit and stormed out in a strop :-?


add the last bit, "at which point i went home and made them myself" :lol1:


reminds me of an Gentleman signmaker from Iran, who we did a few bits for, he had a small bump in his car and promptly made a plate from foamex..... it was on his car for years LOL
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 8338

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:00 am





Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Not that I'm looking to buy a plate but I didn't realise you could actually buy a plate and not put it straight on a car, the rules must have changed again then as I am sure at one point a registration number had to be on a car that had a current MOT certificate or have I got that all wrong :lol1: :lol1:
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 1923

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:13 am





Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:27 pm

The Retention Scheme

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat



Who is online

Registered users:
No registered users

 

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

 

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group
Site Membership
Advertising
Videos
ISA-UK

 

 

Who is Online

In total there are 36 users online ::
2 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests
[based on past 5 minutes]

Most users ever online was
370 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Registered users:
No registered users

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Robert Lambie